CTD 0xc0000005 with handleSEH in external view

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Tried both, crashes with both

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes, this happens without any mods as well

Brief description of the issue:

When I fly in cloudy weather using default planes as well as modded rotating camera in external view causes freeze + CTD

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3RrsArcKg last 10 seconds is a good example

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Using weather with heavy clouds switch to external view after flying 30-40 minutes, not related to actual plane being flown

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

NVIDIA RTX 3070, 546.01 Studio Driver

PC specs and peripheral set up:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI GeForce RTX 3070. G.Skill DDR4-3200 2x16 Gb (Dual channel), Samsung EVO 970 NVMe 1 Tb, Crucial P3 NVMe 2 Tb, Western Digital Blue 1 Tb (not used for sim files), VKB NXT EVO SSG, Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Fault bucket 2163626619164835557, type 4

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

MSFSReport-Crash-968851455.txt (20.1 KB)

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.34.16.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.34.16.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000029650a0
Faulting process id: 0x0x3468
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA14A0BCACEEAA
Faulting application path: S:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: S:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: e7229345-894e-414d-ae40-b1301760a67b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Pagefile is set to 20 Gb (system managed), DX 11 mode, no G-Sync applied.
As well I tried to follow guides at this forum, reinstalled simulator as well (cleaning AppData also). Completing flight inside cockpit works OK, issue occurs randomly in adverse weather when I rotate camera in External view.
From the log I can see some handleSEH issue, so some exception occurs, but I dont know which

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I feel your pain. I swear to God I spend most my time fixing problems with MSFS than I do flying. I’ve come to realise that the only way I can minimise (not prevent, cos there is no such thing) CTD’s, is to keep everything in its vanilla state, that is, no addons whatsoever. Just plain old MSFS out of the box.

2 Likes

This thread has a lot of good info with a few potential fixes from both myself and others. At most recent, rolling Nvidia driver back to 537.13 seemed to work for a few.

Hello,

Thanks for your input. I see that some steps helped you, I have kinda the same set up done and it keeps crashing randomly, anyway I will try to roll back driver and play more.

Best regards

Dont think its Nvidia driver as I rolled back to this version and it still CTD’d today with same error codes!

I have exactly the same as you do, just that it doesn’t matter external view or not, happens randomly while flying.

OnCrash:
Msg=_handleSEH
Type=SEH
Code=0xC0000005

3 Likes

I will try 534.86 and let know. Also I will try dx12 and increasing swap file to 50Gb

I turned AI Traffic off - been a couple of hours now without that crash; crossing fingers …

You mean completely (including boats, cars etc) or just AI aitcraft? I’ve never used AI aircraft, flying mostly in VATSIM

I only turn aviation traffic off (the 1st option at the top). I confirm that since then it has been pretty stable for me so far.
I will try by injecting 3rd party traffic using FSLTL & see.

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Crash happens in similar situations, always after reaching cruise, most of the time in an external view but sometimes occurs in the cockpit.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Every single flight over 30 minutes this crash occurs

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

2199066239203661447, type 4

1 Like

Yes, always after reaching cruise and at least 30min in flight.
Not external view specific but I seldom use that view anyways.
I don’t have the issue when injecting 3rd party traffic, only with MSFS traffic.
There has been a similar issue in the past, was it SU9 ? I don’t remember.

1 Like

I didn’t read through but lower your ram speed down to
what is actually recommended speeds for your CPU and report back if that helped. I had massive CTD issues forEVER and this was the fix.

I see that GPU memory is almost always full with my settings. Maybe this causes issues, will try with DX12 soon

Got exactly the same problem :frowning:
I will follow this topic and hope someone got any ideas or suggestions…?

I think it happens most of the time when flying online on Vatsim and using VSR. I also fly in VR. Really getting tired of this because it always happens midflight without any reason (at least that’s what I think).

Just got a CTD again:

/!/ CRASH /!/
OnCrash:
Msg=_handleSEH
Type=SEH
Code=0xC0000005

One thing I found out after intense searching, Code=0xC0000005 is always about memory error.

The Problem, it can be almost everything. Most likely I think it’s graphics driver related. It doesn’t matter if DX11 or DX12, the crash can happen everytime.

What I found out so far - not 100% sure about it - that we can’t do anything about it. Yesterday I’ve done a longhaul flight from KJFK → EDDN and today a flight to HEGN. During my return flight → CTD, exactly the same message (Code=0xC0000005 / handleSEH / SEH).

I think we have to wait - and hope that SU14 is fixing the crash.

2 Likes

Could be memory although pretty ok here with 32G usually.
What I notice is that after some flying, usually after 30m to 1 hour or more, suddenly there is a huge drop like everything hangs for 3-5 seconds, dunno why. And since I turned AI traffic off it recovers from that hangup, otherwise it went into CTD…

I’ve never used AI traffic So far I moved to 537.58 driver and it’s OK, but I need more tests.

1 Like

Hope it keeps that way !

Memory is not meant to be “not enough” but some error within the memory itself. Might be RAM or VRAM, that’s not really clear to me.

But what I understand, it’s the sim itself.

1 Like