CTD after CTD after CTD...repeat

You will lose a few frames but nothing earth shattering.

Check in your bios if you have an option for Auto OC. It will keep the voltage and the clocks higher for longer and with higher voltages you might get more stability (normally for DRAM and CPU)

It also can make things worst…

There is always a small risk to get stuck messing around in the bios, but you can get yourself unstuck.

What is your mobo model?

I currently have a Asus Rog Maximus Hero II
So what exactly does the speed of ram improves in the sim?

I will take a look at your mobo manual later and check if there is anything you could do without having to mess around with the memory modules.

The RAM is basically a high speed cache that is used to store information that is in “use” by the processor, reducing the need to look for data in our disks.

A processor normally has 32 megs of internal cache, so it would be impossible to hold all that info there. If you look at your task manager when FS is running, you will see that it is using around 14GBs of RAM. This is information that the processor allocated in the memory because it needs in order to run the game.

The memory itself has latency and frequency.
The frequency is the internal speed
Latency is how many clock cycles you will need to run an instruction (read, write, seek…)

If you look behind your memory module, you will see 3600MHZ, 16-20-20-40 (or something similar)
It means that you need, for example, 20 clock cycles to run a specific instruction.

So, if you are running at 2300, you are at half speed, and if the processor access requesting a “read”, it will take twice as long to bring the information back.

Long story short, the processor will request information from the memory and wait longer to get it back, slowing down everything.

As I said, it is not earth shattering, but definitively you will lose performance.

I would gladly appreciate it! If you can send me a message so we won’t blow up this thread about my issue.

Learned something new this morning! No wonder there’s these stutters over heavy cities because the current speed the ram is set at is not helping .

1 Like

Does it help to uninstall ALL liverys, even the orginal ones from ASOBO? If so, how do I get the original back in the sim?? Have CTD several times :frowning:

Will reply to your inbox!

ehm, external liveries should only be in the Community folder. The original ones aren’t in the community folder.

Same with me. I simply cannot get ANY flights to completion at the moment. First my 172 and some other planes would not lift off - then I changed modes and fixed that, but in the middle of my flight - POOF, and gone. TERRIBLE and really unprofessional from MS that so many are not able to take complete flights. My computer experts told me, "Do not buy anything to upgrade now - that program is too unstable and unpredictable and with every patch something else will go wrong - just wait it out.
YEP - they are correct.

Guys, I think we have to go the hard way. After making a new installation of Windows with the newest version with media creation tool (now Win 20H2) and the sim everything runs fine. The system 10700K is overclocked to 4.9G. When the system gets too old you will have to make a reinstall from time to time

Same to me. Today (after a week without msfs and after installation of the update) my sim crashed 6 or 7 times when selecting a flight.

That’s not the reason of having ctds. It is deventively caused by the update. I’ve an up-to-date system with very strong hardware.

1 Like

CTD still persist here

My CTD seems to happen only with long flights. It crashes when I fly continuously for about an hour. Japan Tour and a Florida trip Miami to Orlando both crashed after one hour. Runs on i7/ 16GB RAM /8GB RX570 graphics.

Did you delete your rolling cache ? Did you empty your Community directory of mods ? Always do that after each new patch and fly without mods for a while to check stability, as some mods are buggy or not up to date.

These are the 2 main causes of random crashes, apart from hardware issues. Patch 5 has been remarkably stable for me, unlike patches 2 & 3.

You may run out of memory. Check that your background tasks and programs aren’t using up too much RAM. 16 Gb is barely enough for Fligh Sim as it takes up nearly that much memory. And you need to disable much of your background processes and close all your apps, or buy another 16 Gb of RAM.

Will disabling background apps improve performance ?

If anyone has installed my airport Boire Field (KASH), Nashua, NH, please install the latest version found at www.Flightsim.to.

Thanks to somebody’s report, I found and reported a bug with the Living World Config system that causes a CTD while loading an airport if you start at an airport other than KASH. The fix was to remove the reference to the KASH_LWcfg.xml file in the layout.json. I even tried replacing it with just the default file they give you and it still causes a crash. I don’t know why, but I submitted it as a possible bug.

Interestingly, I use nearly the same files in another airport, Lakes Region Airport (69NH) Wolfeboro, NH, and it doesn’t cause a crash.

The difference between the two airports is KASH already existed in the sim. 69NH is a new airport for the sim, a recreation of an airport that was torn down in 2005. I also added IFR procedures to my upgrade to KASH (which for some reason Asobo did not include), though I doubt there’s a relationship with that.

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: it’s complicated, so just use the short answer.

1 Like

Okay Can you recommend me which apps or processors I should disable while running the sim?