CTD as soon as Microsoft login window appears

Ok, disabled Nahimic

I also disabled Armory Crate. All other ASUS stuff seems to be disabled. Going to do another test.

1 Like

yeah… also these tool :rofl:

World Update II: USA is finally done, working on World Update III right now, about half-way done. I strongly suspect something is still wrong as I’m still getting weird side effects when the sim is running. I’ll probably try a flight soon.

i hope you can solve your issue,. but to me its clear you created it.
with the way the ms store works its best not to meddle with it.

Thanks for… that? “If you don’t have something nice to say…”

I strongly disagree with your drive-by assessment. Please leave it to the folks who are helping. I’m not even sure what you mean by “ms store” - I have not done anything at all with the Microsoft Store, other than what Asobo themselves suggested I try. So I’ll go with Asobo on that.

The trick with PCs is, unlike a console, they are used for a lot of things beyond a single game. It’s easy for things to go wrong.

Don’t argue, we have to find the cause :slight_smile:

Also in case the issue was caused by the OP, he wants to fly again… and now,… back to testing work :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s promising at least that downloading World Update III has not yet crashed the sim! If World Update V-VII also download I’ll be feeling a lot more confident. Edit: Ah, dang. Decompressing microsoft-uk-points-of-interest-0.1.19.fspackage.002 is stalled. Expecting a CTD any second now.

Edit, still no CTD but it’s still hung on that file, and I am pretty certain this is the reason: If you attempt to extract that exact file, it has CRC errors for two files. This is consistent with the same issue with other files decompressing.

Somehow, the downloads become corrupt and as a result, decompression stalls.

if we stay “in no CTD” situation , you can let re-download these file, so far I know… but why it happens, hmmm… and not open the zip files while msfs is running :slight_smile:

here an intressting topic related to that too… RAM was already under suspection…

1 Like

Unfortunately I just looked and my RAM was not overclocked at all. XMP was off, RAM was running at 2133 instead of the advertised 3200mhz. Just for the heck of it, I enabled XMP profile 1. That sets it to the advertised specs. Figured it can’t hurt to try. The sim crashed during the next file download (same one it crashed on before actually, UK points of interest. It didn’t even make it to decompressing, it crashed before the file was done downloading. Faulting module was FlightSimulator.exe this time.

I am now on a different Windows profile, and unfortunately it gets stuck in a neverending download loop with the remaining files of World Update III. I completely deleted World Update III and started over. It got stock decompressing another corrupted file shortly thereafter. No reply to my ticket yet, though I’m sure they’re busy with SU8 test feedback.

I also did a quit test flight. CTD within 30 seconds again. This time the faulting module was nvwgf2umx_cfg.dll.

That error is an Nvidia driver error.
Notice the same time frame!

The problem is, nearly every module has faulted now, not just this one. It seems nearly random which dll is going to be the fault now. In that post, the OP also has the same problem with other games. In my situation, it’s completely unique to MSFS.

1 Like

I wonder if you would be better off in the long run, formatting your drive, and reinstalling Windows.

1 Like

At this point, it’s about all I think I have left to try. I was hoping to find a solution in order to help narrow down some of these bizarre CTDs but something is definitely fundamentally broken. If I reinstall Windows and the problem goes away, at least I’ll know it wasn’t hardware even though I won’t know what it actually was.

1 Like

When there is that much going wrong, as you can tell, you may not find a particular cause.
If Windows reinstalls, you’ll have a pretty good idea it isn’t hardware related, I agree.

2 Likes

I reset Windows 11 (did not fully format and reinstall, though that’s definitely doable if this fails.) So far, I’ve downloaded World Update III and IV without a single problem. I will be downloading V-VII tonight and doing a test flight in the morning :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

oh man… what a story… but as I seen now the nvidia…dll my thinking was same: he have either a completly broken hardware , or the system becomes as unknow reason so invalid that a “reset of windows” sounds like the best idea. It is not the “makes me happy” solution, because we not know whats happend, but if the result is that it works now, it was may be the best solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

Resetting Windows was the solution. I didn’t have to remove files, I did the reset and keep files method (it does uninstall programs, but does not delete general files.)

I no longer experience the random .dll crashes, the stuck downloads, the download loops, the strange MSGS Edge behavior and errors when running MSFS. It’s all gone. I have now installed several Content Manager updates and completed several flights. I did receive two CTDs, but one seemed to be related to the Next Pilot Position bug some players have. The other was at the menu but was clearly related to me plugging and unplugging my Saitek Radio panel. These were, to some extent, “expected” CTDs. Therefore I can say that this issue was, to the best of my knowledge, caused by a corrupt Windows installation and/or Microsoft account profile rather than an addon or hardware.

My plan moving forward and my recommendation to others: Use system restore points! Create a system restore point before making any significant changes. I didn’t have any system restore points to go back to so I wasn’t able to test rolling back to one of them.

Suggestion 2: Keep your system drive relatively clean and do not hesitate to reset Windows if persistent unexplained problems arise. It’s good for plenty of other issues as well.

Special thanks to @MichaMMA and @TheSevenflyer for sticking it out with me and providing help. You are rock stars!

2 Likes

This is excellent news!
It was quite a ride, but I’m glad you found the solution.

Good Flights!