Ctd ctd ctd ctd ctd ctd ctd

No more CTD

IF YOU NEED TO KNOW RIGHT NOW WHAT WE DID TO SOLVE THIS, SKIP TO THE END.

Keep in mind, I still believe there are more than 1 reason for CTD.
This is mine. It may not be yours.
I only share it for us to co-mingle ideas and maybe we can all fasttrack a fix.

But first let’s Recap - what did NOT work for me:

I do thank everyone for their contributions and thoughts.

Tried creating flights with different software - did not make a difference.

Tried running as user then as administrator - did not make a difference.

No mods in my community folder - did not make a difference.

Not running any other add-on software - did not make a difference.

Not running any add-on aircraft - just what was supplied by msfs 2020 - did not make a difference.

Msfs 2020 up to date - did not make a difference.

Added 32GB to my page file - did not make a difference.

Added a new drive, for dual boot, with sim files only - did not make a difference.

Added a very fast M.2 drive - now flight sim boots to a prestine boot drive, and msfs 2020 then runs off a very fast additional M.2 drive - that did not make any difference.

Re-installed all factory motherboard, video and sound drivers - that did not work.

No anti-virus installed - did not matter.

No additional programs on the sim boot drive - did not matter.

Turned “game mode” off in windows - did not matter.

Turned off "hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in windows - did not matter.

Had a script created that in a few seconds will scan the entire computer system, and turn off anything that will put a hard drive to sleep and disabled windows power management - did not matter.

Exhaustive analysis of my bios - many tries and changes - did not matter.

No overclocking - of anything - did not matter.

I lowered AI traffic, then turned off - did not matter.

2 things I believe helped ME.

1. Motherboard update
  2. Reverting from usb 3.0 to usb 2.0 for ALL my flight periferals.

After these, no CTD.

I noticed that on occasion my motherboard would “hang” when rebooting. I would have to turn the system completely off and then back on.

So…I installed another motherboard I had sitting around with an AMD 3900XT. Used the same 32GB ram, after all installed - computer worked better, but was not sure if it made any difference to my flight sim.

Finally last weekend, I notice that my throttle leds were “off”. They were always “on” I thought I had forgotten to hook up a usb cable while upgrading.

I was plugging it into a usb 3.0 add-on card, same card used with last motherboard that was “hanging up”. I moved that one cable from 3.0 to a 2.0 slot and the throttle began working again. Guess I stuck it in the wrong slot when upgrading. First I knew about the problem with usb 3.0.

We ordered a new 2.0 usb add-on card, and after installing it on Teusday, and installing ALL by usb cables into the 2.0 slots, all hardware worked smoothly.

Last night I flew a short 30 minute flight. No problems. No CTD. While flying, I would go in and out of the flight to make msfs 2020 changes. All kinds of things that used to freeze the program and/or CTD. All worked well for me. This is all in VR. I will comment about the VR in a moment.

Finally, in VR, made a 5 hour flight. No CTD, no freezing.

Too soon to tell for sure, but I am hopeful that I solved the problem.

I will post further, only if there is another CTD.

Conclusions:

1. No one should have to work so hard to make an expensive product function. But with that said, it may have been me and a hardware problem all along, nothing to do with msfs 2020 or updates.

I only do this because it helps me stay current with eye/hand coordination when flying IRL and you don’t have to spend all that money on fuel keeping your skill set up. I’m not using this as a “game”. Plenty of those. I using it as an unofficial training tool.

Not sure yet if the problems I’m experiencing in VR is my hardware, software settings or the flight sim. At least now with CTD hopefully solved, I can begin troubleshooting this problem.

2. VR is in cave man mode. Last nights flight was the most horrible VR visual I have ever experienced in msfs 2020.

I use Pimax 5k+ with all current updates. Works flawlessly with Fly2, X- plane and DCS.

I will post more about the VR in the VR section.

The CTDs are a lottery. On the same flight from point A to point B, you can have a CTD at best, on take-off, or after 5 minutes, like 30 minutes, like 1 hour or several hours.
The worst is when you have a CTD approaching the airport, after 10 hours of flight. The least “worst” is when you have a CTD 50 meters from the bridge.
But one thing is certain, it is that virtual reality is not in question.
When you do a 10 hour flight, you don’t spend 10 hours at FL430 with the helmet on. After a while the headset goes into standby, and the display switches to 2D screen. Yet there is still CTD.

i had the same story, what I did: use only wired stuff, mouse, keyboard etc then ok, go figure …

I would add that to my list of 156 possible solutions already tested that did not work. Hoping that this 157th solution will work …
But first, I still have to incur costs, without any guarantee of result.

1 Like

My sim is again working on 4 FPS. The performance update was great but they ruined everything. I don’t even know what’s new. Yesterday everything was great. Today it lagged in approach and then crashed!!!

I’m not using VR…yet…but I started having CTD’s for the first time after last update and this was an instant fix for me. I would sometimes get this breakpoint exception error along with the CTD.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flightsimulator-exe-application-error-0x80000003/334962/19?u=tangoflyr670

Mmmm, virtual mem stuff should be only used in case of lack of memory, which is far from being the case here … Gotta go down the top-bottom approach, remove try, remove try etc.
For me I removed a lot of CTDs by scaling down slightly graph setting, and especially online traffic although I do have 75 Mbps.

Memory is not just about compensating for a lack of RAM. It is used, among other things, for several applications, to be able to use DLL…ect files at the same time, because it can be partitioned, something which would be impossible with RAM. But it is much more complex to understand, and even more to explain.

True that, just explaining how I got rid of my ctd in the end, although not logical… But yeah there are probably 1024+ reasons to ctd.

To begin with, it is not by having 50 subjects on the CTDs that things will get better faster.

no interest in being here and there Crash to desktop without error message
If to do that instead of having everyone on one subject with weight, with 50 subjects, smaller, the problem is diluted.

This CTD situation is driving me nuts. Bad enough I lost all my 1225 flight hours AND my entire Logbook, these CTD’s are getting worse and worse. I have experimented using most every airplane from the 747 to the yellow Cub in manual, IA and AP modes where available. I use Clear Skies only with Unlimited Fuel. My last 27 flights have resulted in 21 CTD’s. I have this sim installed on 2 very different PC’s with totally different hardware. My older PC meets all the minimum requirements while the other newer PC, which I bought specifically for this sim far exceeds the requirements and runs on all Ultra settings.
This sim is both my favorite program and also my most despised one. I am right on the verge of dumping this sim.
The makers of this sim need to address these HUGE issues like the CTD’s and lost data packages and stop putting lipstick on a pig with these other cute but unimportant “updates”.

6 Likes

It’s been there since the release of the VR version. The problem seems to be more pronounced with AMD graphic card. I cannot finish a single flight without CTD. Sometimes 2 minutes into it, sometimes 2 hours nearing the approach.

It’s always either VCRUNTIME140.dll or d3d11.dll faulting.

So far, MS/Asobo only has responded with a generic reinstall drivers, remove overclock, etc. I’ve spent countless hours troubleshooting, reinstalling the OS, sim drivers, and nothing has worked. Keep voting till Asobo takes this seriously.

This is on a 10900K + 64GB RAM + 6800XT all under custom waterloop with multiple NVME. Headset HP Reverb G2 (Oculus Q2 doesn’t CTD).

4 Likes

I have about a 70% chance of ending up in a CTD. Sometimes it happens as soon as I click on the FLY button, other times it does it when I’m on final over the numbers at the end of a 15 hour flight and it CTD. There is no rhyme or reason. I tried forcing it to CTD by multitasking watching YouTube videos while the Sim was running and that does nothing to alter the CTD issues. They still happen at any time. I was going to try getting the sim up and running and then disconnecting my ethernet cable from the PC and see what happens. I have a sneaking suspicion that Windows itself is the culprit by constantly sending little tweaks to the PC in the background. I just don’t know. At this point, I am considering this as a challenge.

since the last WU, I have had CTD every time I use the sim. I have changed nothing.

2 Likes

Same here!

Since the last update on 25th of May I am also facing CTD directly after the first boot screen from FS. Spent several hours to fix but without success. Have you guys a clue. All ideas welcome.

1 Like

This is a repost from few days ago. I finally found a very stable config where I can fly VR for hours without crash. this works for me without single CTD since two weeks now! I have HP G2, NVIDIA 3080, AMD x570 motherboard. in bios I revert to PCIx 3 for stable (no more disconnect of USB perif with x570 board, graphics card is still PCIx4). Nvidia driver latest ( and was also good with the one before ) with clean install and manage 3d setting program to DEFAULT. windows hardwire accelerated GPU OFF (was clearly instable for me), Game mode ON (but seems no impact) . I removed WMR portal and openXR developer (clearly make crashing for me) then ONLY reinstall WMR portal. I have adjusted flight sim parameters to 30ish frame rate. It seems the sim update 4 works for me like previous version now. I will stop playing with setup fow now.

Hi All. After several instances of ctd and trying all the suggestions to no avail, I think my ctds have to do with the mouse interaction with some cockpit buttons and knobs. I am able to fly several hours without a ctd but the minute I try to change a radio frequency or put on landing lights boom!!! Anyone else notice this? If so how did you solve it. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions

Have you tried this …

Thanks. Updating right now and will post my findings

1 Like