CTD during loading game even after clean install

A couple days ago I was playing fine and have 40 hours logged without a single crash, quit the game and launched an hour later, no changes to anything on my computer and MSFS started crashing right after the microsoft copyright screen. There is no error or anything.
So far I have tried everything here
I have updated Nvidia drivers, bios, and windows.
I tried stopping steam cloud sync as mentioned in another post.
Deleted all game files and reinstalled launcher on steam and its still happening.

I don’t really want to reinstall windows as I have a lot of programs that take forever to install for school and don’t really have the time right now and I see that as my only option so I am posting here to see if anyone else has any ideas. Thanks in advance!

Ryzen 9 5900x (no OC)
32GB Corsair Vengence RGB RAM at 3600MHz
EVGA RTX 3080 (no OC)
EVGA 1000W PSU
Asus ROG Strix x570-e gaming

Application error from event viewer if it helps
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.14.6.0, time stamp: 0x60420b1c
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.14.6.0, time stamp: 0x60420b1c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001abde37
Faulting process id: 0x1de8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7276c9e344ad5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 6a89cef7-2304-45c4-8478-d2b50ac05da2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I am experiencing the same issue as well. Not sure what seems to be wrong. I was playing absolutely fine through the sunny Italian Alps in the afternoon.

Same issue here, it crashes right after copyright screen as it tries to load something (with same event viewer error log). In my case it stopped working 1-2 weeks ago.

I have tried:
-Uninstalling game from steam and reinstalling
-Running as admin
-Updating Windows 10 with latest updates
-Installing any pending MS Store updates
-Rolling back Nvidia’s drivers (as I had latest) to previous version
-Disabling any overlays
-Fixing page size to 5GB
-Disable CPU OC
-Contact customer support (they redirected me to the guides and forums)

My specs are as follows:
Intel Core i7 5820K
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200Mhz
Asus ROG RTX 2080 Super 8GB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB SSD
Asus X99-A
Windows 10 Home 20H2 (build 19042.870)

Thanks

Figured I’d update since I have tried more things. Glad to see I’m not the only one experiencing this so hopefully we can get a solution soon.

I tried in-place upgrade to windows 10, no luck.
I tried running on another new user account, no luck.

EDIT: Submitted zendesk ticket: ID#100337

2 Likes

Managed to get past the CTD:
-First I disabled my primary network adapter (basically to disconnect from the Internet)
-Then I started MSFS and it didn’t crash but got stuck because of not internet connection
-After that, with the game still running, I reenabled my network. Seconds later I got to the Installation Manager to download the 150GBish of updates.

Will keep you posted and what I find. My hunch is that its related to Steam/Microsoft save game corruption or something similar.

My Zendesk ticket ID: #99735

UPDATE 2:

I can now confirm it was a Steam save data corruption. My installation is fully working now after doing these several steps:

1. Disable MSFS2020 Steam Cloud Backup

2. Delete save data folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\ {steam user id}\1250410)

3. Clear Steam Download Cache

4. Relogin to Steam

5. Recheck MSFS2020 Steam Cloud Backup is disabled

6. Start the game

I have to thank these two threads (which I think are caused by the same issue of this thread):

EDIT: Fixed the links

@PeterP999 and @AirshipCrown9, I hope this solves your issues too.

5 Likes

This is my system:
CPU Core I5 3.9GHz, 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz RAM
GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6
480GB SSD 1TB HDD

Can anyone tell me why I am getting CTD’s ALWAYS when I try to fly. It occurs at various times.

I have complained about this before but certainly this cannot be acceptable.

I have done a clean install. All my updates are current, in FS and Windows.

Neil

No.
You do NOT ask this type of questions . Unless you settle with something like ;" ahh , it is an i5" ; “ohhhh, it is an RTX…” ; “Well, you noticed that 5500 is not a prime number”…; or whatever…
The are no technical stight answers.

This wonderfull software has some serious flaws in it.
That is it.

Enjoy as much as you can. Period.
It is worth the trouble.

Greetings

Oh man, yeah this worked Thank you so much, I tried to do this like 15 times yesterday and honestly thought steam was broken because it kept rechecking cloud sync and then redownload (or loading from a temp maybe?) the folder but I think clearing steam download cache allowed it to actually get deleted cause that was the one step I didn’t try yesterday.
I owe you one @lopsal

I am glad it worked for you.
Is there a way to mark the thread as solved?

Yeah I got it, new to the forum

I have been following this post and I am glad people have found it helpful. Unfortunately, I have the Microsoft Store version of the sim and have figured out what is causing the crash. I have Thrustmaster TCA sidestick and whenever it is connected and I launch the sim, it will CTD during the initial launch splash screen. I removed the USB connection and was able to get to the welcome screen and select different options. If I connect the sidestick back while the sim is running, it will CTD. Do you have any tips on how to fix this? It is the Exception code 0xc0000005 that is usually associated with USB peripherals.

Maybe try plugging it into a USB 2 if its in a USB 3 port or plug into USB 3 if in USB 2, I have a different joystick but it performs weird if I don’t plug it into USB 3. Just a thought

How can I check that? The usb port that I had been using before at the back of the tower worked fine. I switched it to another and tried. Still having CTD. I am not sure if its 2 or 3.

I have the same problem (MS store version).

After a clean Windows and FS2020 install I am unable to launch the game. CTD happens during the blue bar, right before the main menu appears. I am in the middle of another clean Windows install . As soon I complete the game installation, I will test it without my joystick (Microsoft Force Feedback 2) plugged in. I‘ll let you guys know.

1 Like

I can confirm that in my situation it was the joystick. The game launches if I don’t plug it in.

I have the same issue. CTD when connected to the internet. But i have the Gamepass. what should i do?

1 Like

I LOVE YOU, I was doing everything except clearing the download cache and that was what finally fixed the corrupted cloud file issue. Thanks so much.

Hi there, I was wondering - did you uncheck the steam cloud only for MSFS, or did you do it fully on steam? I have been trying all of the suggestions under this forum and so far I can’t get it to work. These are the steps I took:

1. Disabled steam cloud as a whole (under steam settings top left)
  2. Disabled msfs steam cloud (right clicking on the game, properties, etc…)
  3. Cleared the save data folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\ {steam user id}\1250410)
  4. I cleared the steam download cache
  5. logged backin - doubled checked steam cloud for msfs is off

BUT

When I launch the game, I go through the options upon first launch - subtitles, difficulty, graphics settings, and when I finish off the difficult section where you select how hard you want the physics to be, navigation, etc… And I click “next” the game crashes. FURTHERMORE When I check the steam cloud, it just automatically turned back on?! And in the userdata files, it created the same folder that I deleted?!

So I then tried the same steps but this time I disabled the steam cloud as a whole under steam settings. When I do this, the game launches, but CTD’s at around the 55% progress bar point. AND The userdata folder also gets recreated.

Please let me know if I am missing something, or forgetting to delete something. FYI community folder is empty.

OK An Update.

So, I turned steam cloud as a whole off, deleted userdata, and deleted the folders: “DCE” “SceneryIndexes” and “SceneryCache” under appdata-roamin-microsoftflightsimulator.

This time I was able to load into the main menu. I clicked on world map, no crashes yet. I then select a departure airport by clicking an airport on the map, then clicking “select as departure” and then I get a CTD.

I tried again, except this time instead of selecting the departure through the map, I selected it on the top where you can search an airport via typing. I typed in LKPR just as a test, and I loaded into the game wihout any issues and could fly. As another test, I exited, relaunched, and tried to select my departure again from the map, and it CTD.

Any Idea’s?