CTD immediately and every time after pressing yellow 'FLY' button

Thank you kindly Mollenon. I don’t think l will get much thanx for this but it does not matter. I am sure what l have discovered will help a number of people, if l have only helped you it will be worth it!

Just to recap, some may benefit by turning off ‘lock’ and revert to ‘Legacy’ mouse control for cockpit interaction. It will not work for everyone though.

Take Care.

Charles.

1 Like

I fixed the link/updated it. :grinning:

1 Like

I have to thank you @TheAviator3506, being able to start it again after days it is indeed a huge improvement.
I hope your suggestion could help lots of other simmers besides a thank you that is inexpensive on our side and much appreciated on both sides.

1 Like

I moved my msfs2020 folder from my external T5 drive to my interval drive and al my CTD when i press fly are gone… now i can fly i see a massive performance inprovment in VR… buttersmooth now.,

3 Likes

Brilliant and thankyou for sharing this discovery with us, one that worked for you.
I have a separate swap file on a dedicated partition and my MSFS2020 has a dedicated partition too.

Maybe if some people move their main swap file to a dedicated partition, this could help if they have a dynamic swap file that is located on a root drive with the simulator that perhaps does not have enough space?

I have fantastic performance on my 2012 PC and no CTD’s. i72600K and GTX1070 GPU.

Charles.

1 Like

Since a lot of people talk about moving to another drive…

I just used Steam to move my Data from a Steam Library at my D-drive (Nvme SSD) to my E-drive which is a normal harddrive. After the move the game wanted to download 124GB again. Not my hobby so I changed this line (inside C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight SimulatorUserCfg.opt):

InstalledPackagesPath "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\InstalledPackages"

to

InstalledPackagesPath "E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\InstalledPackages"

And miracles, I got inside a plane this time. It makes absolutely no sense why this works and need to do some more testing but at least I saw the inside of a plane again.

3 Likes

OzBoz, well done! Thankyou for the information, at least some people are getting into the air. This CTD thing is a confusing complicated mess. I don’t think there is ever going to a permanent fix for CTD’s for everyone.

I am not using Steam version however, my simulator and swap file all have their own dedicated drives perhaps that’s why I have faired well after the SU5 update.

Keep testing!

Charles.

1 Like

Hi Charles,

My normal Windows swap is at C, had rollingcache at D and the game. Now both game and rollingcache are moved to E. If you can’t click fly without a crash I call it a bug which can be fixed by Microsoft/Asobo. I also added the info to my Zendesk ticket so it might save them some searching.

But like you say, a piece of software as complicated like this were some people also have like 500GB worth of addons programmed by third-parties is hard to get completely free of CTD’s.

That it works for some (including me) to just move the sim to another drive does not make really make sense. I also wonder what happens if I move it back to my NVme since that helps the loading speed quite a bit.

But for now I’m happy I can click fly and see immediately a loading bar instead of black screen followed by my Windows desktop.

Oscar

2 Likes

Hi Oscar, it’s great that you have reported this to Asobo. I would not move it back for the moment now that you have fixed your issue. :grinning:

I am amazed how quickly the sim loads up for me now with this new SU5 update. It certainly makes it much easier and faster for testing!

BRGDS.

Charles.

I had the same problem, my solution to uninstall the 2 season packs by Bijan, I bought at the marketplace. It seems we have to wait for an updated version

1 Like

Hi, same here, have re-installed 3 times and still not working properly, if I fly from Gib or some European airports it works, but wont load Gatwick or Heathrow… Also many bits on the a320 Leap wont work either… very disappointed with Microsoft…

1 Like

It would be great if the simulator had a ‘Role back to previous version’ feature’. That would tame a great deal of the disappointment and keep people happy if as many said, ‘they had no problems before the update’.

Charles.

1 Like

Well, you found another third-party factor causing a CTD. Excellent stuff!

Charles.

Do you know the definitions for Mods, Liveries and Add-ons and the difference between them if there is?

1 Like

I dont think I understand the context of your question, but that’s probably just me. That’s have a go…

A modification would be something that changes an existing default element of the simulator. A piece of software that enhances existing default water etc. Liveries are additional add-ons which are not necessary for the simulator to function but enhance it’s look and diversity. Add-on’s are just bolt-on optional software to enhance the simulator, many of them are pay-ware, designed to tempt us into spending our hard earned cash and persuading us it’s something we really need, (and I am one who falls for it time-and-time again!) :grinning:

I hope I have answered your question.

BRGDS.

Charles.

1 Like

@OzBoz73 since you are on a limited internet bandwidth (if I recall precisely) you made up your day!
Glad we are back on the tarmac finally! :grinning:
@TheAviator3506 had some very good ideas!

1 Like

Mollenon, you are my, ‘most favourite person’ in this forum with everyone else coming second! :rofl:

Cheers!

Charles.

1 Like

Mods and add-on are quite the same (from a certain point of view). In terms more specific add-on is something you literally add to your software (airports, aircraft and such).
Mods are modifications of the main software (such as keeping the engine but changing the physics for ex.)
Liveries on the other hands are just the esthetic of it. For the simmers and MSFS liveries correspond to the decals on your aircraft.

1 Like

I guess real pilots are pretty much the same! :joy: :innocent:

1 Like

Well it’s unlimited but I’ve to send a text with NL2000aan to get another 2GB… so that’s one way to get RSI. I did also put all my settings back the way they were (I make an image of C every week automatically) and it still works. Beats me why moving to another (much slower) drive solves it but would be nice if it also fixed it for some others, moving it takes also some time but much faster than downloading again anyway. And from what I understand some people did (presumably to same drive) and still couldn’t fly. Happy flying!

2 Likes