CTD Issues & Discussion Megathread

This thread is created to accumulate and discuss issues related to CTDs only. It is expected that if you are experiencing these type problems that you have already reported them to Zendesk as your first priority.

If some of you have discovered a solution to a specific type of CTD, please post that here.

Thank you/.

5 Likes
PSA for everyone having random crashes to desktop (CTD): make sure you have pagefile enabled
Hot fix to solve CTD?
Problems with Crashing During Gameplay
Crashing to desktop - no log / errors
MSFS crash after the last update
CTD most flights all of a sudden
CDT during flight
Specific Area Game Crashes
Simulator Freezes when starting any flight but the training portion works
Game ctd
Total Crash after new update
Program crash only with Airbus and Boeing
Crash Error Message
CTDS after start any airport any plane
Software Failure
Crash to desktop when taxiing after a flight
CTD / No Flightplan entrys when DEP=ARR-Airport
Sim crashes on the main menu
Random CTD on approach
Constant crashing
Crash to desktop while loading
Game stil crashes
Multiple crashes during flight
Sim Keeps Crashing!
Ele fecha inesperadamente
Crash to desktop on short after 16hr flight
FlightSimulator.exe Application error crashes
Game Crash no Fix from FS2020
Cant Spawn into JFK
Game Still Crashing to Desktop Post Patch
Pc goes into greenscreen, then crashes and restarted itsef
Game Crash / Everytime
CTD over Ireland & UK
Consistent CTD with ucrtbase.dll error - Very Frustrating!
Screen flickers and FS2020 crashes
Crashes every Time
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 crash to desktop
Fs 2020 crashes
Sim crashses during final aproach
CTD on approach to BIKF A320
The crash simulator continues
Flight from KFFC to KVNY CTD
Flight simulator 2020 crash
CTD or Complete Lock Up Right Before Landing
MS Flightsim just stops and reverts back to desktop
Recurring CTD from ucrtbase.dll
Game crashing many times
Game Crashes At the cessna scene
Crash after training mission
Game crashes after starting
Restart Flight - Sim Crashes
Regular CTD after latest Update
Flightsimulator.exe Not Launching
MSFS Closes unexpectedly
Unplayable thanks to crash to desktop
MSFS crashes when landing mountainous or high terrains (especially Anchorage (PANC)?)
After last update permanent failure of your MSFS 2020. i'am tired. Geolocation - Dump. Update NVIDIA driver - dump.!
TBM 930 - landing Sion
Crash to Desktop Memory Error
Please Help - Game freeze, unplayable
Flight Simulator freezes

Hello, seems like game refuse to even run properly on MS Store.

Tried all troubleshooting for CTD and crash, no avail.

Now game freeze randomly at first loading screen, asobo logo, or even at press any key. Or won’t boot at all.

It crash even without any other software in background or AV or even Windows Defender…

Any help appreciated

1 Like

Maybe open up search and search for Microsoft Flight Simulator the go to uninstall or reset and try the app again.

Game crashing after pressing space-bar at the “Press any key” prompt on the splash screen…

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f2ed221
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.18362.815, time stamp: 0x32a6df9a
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000006db9e
Faulting process ID: 0x1658
Faulting application start time: 0x01d674e4cf8f8e61
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report ID: 5d29c996-bdb7-4185-a5eb-c7e22a57ae29
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.7.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Hi please report your crashes and bugs to Zendesk. The dev team does not keep track of these here. If you do end up finding a solution, feel free to post here in your thread.

Updating Windows 10 to the latest update (2004) fixed the issue… I am now able to continue with the installation.

2 Likes

Am already on Windows 10 2004, and this still happens to me as well. Reported on Zendesk.

1 Like

I also disabled Avast and ran FS in admin mode, not sure if that helped too.

Already reported this to zendesk while on the latest beta. Still happening on release candidate. My ticket was requalified as a bug so… yeah :frowning:

Why is the status “solved”?

Happening to me on 2004 as well. Sent a ticket through Zendesk. Can’t fly at all.

Hi guys! I did have this issue. Same crash, same dll involved on windows 2004. Did the following:

• Uninstalled completely.
  • Rebooted
  • Installed again.
  • Before that, I downloaded the English (United States) Language Package on “Hour and Language”. Included everything (even Speech, that I didn’t had before)
  • Rebooted.
  • Started the sim as admin.

Now I am downloading normally. Let me know if this works for you.

Game always crashes to desktop when I plug in or out a USB device, no error message.

4 Likes

Also experiencing this, my keyboard has a loose connection and it means I basically can’t touch my PC for the next several hours in case it disconnects and crashes

Crashed at the update screen with 3GB to load after initial install any fixes?

I haven’t had that issue, but this may work for you. :slight_smile:

This was a fix from @PaneledMantis30:

The downloader/installer can get stuck while decompressing downloaded files. If you have partially downloaded files, or compressed download files, the game might tell you it needs to update (but get stuck), or have unavailable options in-game, or fail to load all the way into the game.

Try this:
-Close the game
-Go to C:\Users[user]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_…
-Go to LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore
-Sort by Date modified and remove all FSPATCH files (they should be at the top)
-Launch the game (as administrator preferably)

This got my download unstuck and allowed installation to complete.

3 Likes

Alright. To start off, my specs are:
i7-9750h
RTX 2060
16GB RAM
1TB 5600 RPM HDD

Once I started the sim, I got to the menu fine and selected a flight. Hit fly, everything loaded fine until the end of loading. Right before the sim spawned me in, or a few seconds after, the sim would crash to desktop (CTD) with no error message. This usually happened in populated areas, so I thought it was due to RAM somehow since high population areas have a lot of buildings and therefore take a lot of memory.

I go into task manager and lo and behold, the RAM spiked to a mere 500MB below my 16GB capacity and that’s when the sim crashed.

So, after a quick google search, I found an Apex Legends player who had the same issue of a RAM spike and crash. He added a page file so Windows could grab more memory from the disk and wouldn’t crash. I did the same; I added a 5GB-10GB page file to the drive MSFS was on, and started up the sim again. Boom, I could now fly just fine!

Tl;dr: if your sim crashes without an error message due to high RAM usage, add a page file on the drive MSFS is on.

Now my GPU is always at 99% while my CPU never gets above 5-%, but that’s another story…

2 Likes

Great Share on the page file item. As far as the GPU vs CPU utilization, that seems to be kind of the norm. I lock my frames, to 35 in my case, just to take the edge off so that my GPU is running typically at 90-95%.

I have a very annoying issues with MS Flight simulator and was wondering whether anyone had a similar issue that they may have resolved.

I get random crashes back to desktop whilst playing the game. No error messages come up.

PC Spec

3800x

16gb ram

1080TI

Solid state drive

Windows 10

All up to date latest drivers etc

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Disabled any unnecessary apps. Game runs perfectly when in the game.

It’s a “BETA” I have also rare but random CTD (Crash to Desktop) moments.