CTD Issues & Discussion Megathread

I’d file a bug report with Zendesk. You’ll get a “ticket” and everything. It sounds like this is a repeatable error, so they’ll want to know about it.

1 Like

Already have. Thx.

Hi All,
Ok!! I thought I’d share this CTD incident .
Yesterday late evening I started the sim as usual it took quite long time to load the welcome screen!!, so I got busy doing other things and left the sim overnight as it was at the welcome screen only to find out that it CTD ?!!!.
PC ( RETX2080ti i7 10th gen core Huage HD and 64 GB).

It looks like FS2020 has massive problems with factory overclocked graphics cards. With overclocking, the game crashes after 10 to 30 minutes. But when I run the card in debug mode, there are no more crashes.

(PC AMD 3700X, Aorus RTX 2060, 32 GB)

Just got another CTD after a couple days of stability. This is getting incredibly frustrating and Asobo needs to fix this ASAP. If anyone can help, export from event viewer below:

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Error 9/23/2020 8:56:05 PM Application Error 1000 (100) “Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f5b8327
Faulting module name: RenoirCore.WindowsDesktop.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f3689cb
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000516ef
Faulting process id: 0x1040
Faulting application start time: 0x01d692032798acec
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\RenoirCore.WindowsDesktop.dll
Report Id: 98842950-b4a1-4c98-a964-0fa66d88eb9e
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App”

1 Like

Hey @BoldPilot8745 - Sorry to see you having these issues. There are quite a few threads on the forums where people are reporting crash to desktops and it seems there is no one single cause. Reports indicate that the ‘fix’ for one user doesn’t work for another user etc. Tracking down the cause is very time consuming. I suggest maybe using the forum search function to find other threads for this issue. If you wanted to be brave, even though it is time consuming, you could take the plunge and go ahead and reinstall windows. It might actually save you time in the long run. However, it doesn’t guarantee that it will solve your problem if the CTD is caused by hardware weaknesses (unlikely but possible) or driver issues.

To get you started, here are two links (Link1, Link2) to existing mega-threads about CTDs.

It would also be a good idea to check out the known issues post to see if you are affected by one of those.

For advanced troubleshooting, if none of the other fixes seem to work, then there may also be some useful information contained in this detailed thread: Community Troubleshooting Guide.

2 Likes

What version of Windows are you running? Version 1909 has been reported to be more stable than version 2004.

Drivers seem to be a big deal too. AMD (Radeon) has just released a new driver if you have a card from them; I’ve had good luck with it so far.

However, there is at least one thread - read it here - that suggests turning off all traffic to avoid software mischief. Obviously this is a temporary fix. I, for one, would not want to have to use Flight Sim with traffic disabled moving forward.

Lastly, use Zendesk to report bugs. You have a good level of detail in your post; I would humbly suggest opening a ticket with Zendesk. The more information the devs have, the more likely things will improve for all of us.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve tried all that and all drivers are up to date. I think Asobo has something they have to patch to fix these CTDs. Patiently waiting for Tuesday.

1 Like

CTD Event when Thrustmaster FF Joystick is plugged in.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f6cce4b
Faulting module name: pid.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1, time stamp: 0xa60b42b2
Fault offset: 0x000000000000652f
Faulting process id: 0xfb4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d696f7a5c52667
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\pid.dll
Report Id: 03d908a9-e939-44e3-abb9-9213b884ead1
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

============================================

Like so many other CTD event posted here, a common item is

Application Error 0xc0000005 (Access Violation) error is usually caused by your computer not being able to correctly process the files and settings required to run a particular program or installation. Despite the error showing when you try and use particular pieces of software, it has many different causes including faulty RAM problems, errors with the files of your PC and issues with the settings of your PC.

==================================

Static Linking

pid.dll is statically linked to the following files:

msvcrt.dll
KERNEL32.dll
ADVAPI32.dll
USER32.dll
[HID.DLL](https://windows10dll.nirsoft.net/hid_dll.html)

This means that when pid.dll is loaded, the above files are automatically loaded too. If one of these files is corrupted or missing, pid.dll won’t be loaded.

HID.dll HID - Human Interface Device – ie the Thrustmaster FF Joystick

so it is most likely the code using HID.dll that is causing the issue, stopping the ability to write to the Drive, when trying to create the Joystick xml config file

1 Like

After weeks of CTDs on over 50% of my flights with the faulting module being ucrtbase.dll , I am now CTDing regularly with the faulting module being RenoirCore.WindowsDesktop.dll

• Ucrtbase.dll is in the C:\Windows\System Folder.
  • RenoirCore.WindowsDesktop.dll is in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe Folder

I would normally attribute this to the 1.9.3.0 patch, but I had one of these errors before installing the patch, which was after installing the NVidia 456.66 drivers yesterday AM.

So even though the faulting module is in the program folder, perhaps the error is driver related?

“RenoirCore”

That’s your processor. I’d research that one. Doesn’t sound like it is exclusively Flight Sim causing the problem.

Well, what a disappointing WASTE OF TIME that was submitting a Ticket to the ZenDesk !!

CTD when USB joystick is plugged in.
Send them all the Event data … and a screen shot

and what I get back is “Solved” and a Can Response about setting up Joysticks.
and no option to re-activate the same ticked.

That’s NOT technical support … but it’s the last time i waste time submitting a Bug Report.

SEBASTIAN – you reading this ???

1 Like

After Japan update, I started getting CTD on quitting the flight for going to the main screen and since then, it has become a regular feature. I could at least fly in Japan till yesterday. Today, in addition to the first problem, if I select any part in Japan as departure and clock Fly, get CTD almost halfway down the loading.

While quitting the flight for going to main screen, getting this
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f6cce4b
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f6cce4b
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000000dd2a9
Faulting process id: 0x3b34
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6982473c21ff5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 169bf611-3249-4d7a-b3b5-8a369c796dcb
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

I disabled rolling cache, deleted manual cache, nothing worked. Additionally, now when I click “Go Back” on manual cache screen, I again get a CTD. I have been very fortunate not to get a single CTD before Japan upgrade and now it seems am being compensated for it!

3rd day same Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f6cce4b
Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1, time stamp: 0x84d2d982
Fault offset: 0x000000000015a6c6
Faulting process id: 0x2988
Faulting application start time: 0x01d69827b9ec7492
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll
Report Id: efbfbb19-08c4-4e43-8447-1a43895161ce

Error 0xc0000409 indicates a stack buffer overflow.
Batch alignment problems usually occur when the return variable of a method does not match the return value of the parent method.

====================================

Error 0xc0000005 (Access Violation) error is usually caused by your computer not being able to correctly process the files and settings required to run a particular program or installation.

my exception standard 0xc0000005, other very very rare

Good catch here. I think most of us have the same issue here and it will require a fix from Asobo. I’ve submitted a ticket and have been emailing back and forth with them. I sent over my crash reports and a full crash dump for debugging. When I analyzed the dump myself, I came to the same conclusion. It’s a permissions issue with a specific file.

I’m willing to guess a lot of us have installed the sim more than once and chosen different locations when we re-installed. I myself did. Combined with the absurd permissions and not even being able to access/modify a lot of the FS files being the own admin of my computer.

I would bet one of us could amend the registry to grant the proper permissions, but I’m not that tech savvy. I’m going to look into it this weekend and will report back what I hear from Asobo.

2 Likes

this one i didn’t see from 7.12 i guess
Faulting module name: WTF.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f69f3c8
Fault offset: 0x00000000000340e0
Faulting process id: 0xbc8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d69883b0fdbd8e
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WTF.dll
Report Id: 990110a8-eb70-4e2b-94a7-0b340827cadb

Here’s a good one. I’ve been getting regular CTD when spawning into the aircraft. It’s got worse since the latest update. I initially thought it was my RTX 3080, but I’m running the latest driver and don’t have problems in anything else, so concluded it must be MSFS2020.

Anyway, it sometimes worked but most of the time just crashed as soon as I entered the cockpit. It consistently happened at some places like Heathrow, other places it happened sometimes. After much experimenting, I’ve discovered that if I drop the Settings to Medium, spawn, then up them back to Ultra, it’s fine. Yet, if I spawn in Ultra, it crashes. I’ve 32GB RAM so I’m confident it’s not a memory problem and the 10GB VRAM should be plenty I’d have thought. So I’m bemused why it’s crashing like this, but not if I spawn then change the settings.

Anyway, I thought this might help someone else in the same situation.

CTD too (was at Narita airport). Happenned twice after 20-30 min

FriendlyEventName=Stopped working
ConsentKey=MoAppCrash
AppName=FlightSimulator.exe
AppPath=C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.9.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
NsPartner=windows
NsGroup=windows8
ApplicationIdentity=D44450569E5643AF166E0A05D6
MetadataHash=782426250