CTD problem solved

`I have had CTDs with my brand new PC which I purchased for MSFS 2020, almost from day one. I tried all kinds of suggestions, and nothing worked. The CTDs got more frequent and eventually morphed into screen freezes and PC lockups. The tech support from the Company that made the PC was the best I have ever dealt with. They spend hours troubleshooting this issue with remote connections, and the major problem is this was an intermittent issue which is the worst kind to troubleshoot. It would work for a few days and then crash city every flight. Many of the crashes were AMD driver Timeouts, but not all. We tried different drivers, even swapping out the AMD GPU with a new one, of the same type, nothing helped.

I explained to them that this is the first AMD GPU I have ever had, and the only one that has caused trouble in decades of using PCs. They agreed to replace the GPU with a Nvidia GPU.

I sent the PC to them they kept it for a few days, replaced the GPU, ran MSFS 2020 for hours, and returned it to me this week. Guess what, Problem solved. Not one hiccup of MSFS 2020.

I will never again have an AMD GPU in any PC I purchase.

I had a new AMD card and got crashes everytime.
Updating BIOS helped.

I have a RTX3080 now, had the recent days time out issues CTDs with the driver too.
Reinstalled BIOS yesterday, seems to work again stable.

I think, sometimes all the overclocking messes up with the bios configuration, which needs to be updated then

glad it is solved, but uh i have yet to see one problem with my amd cpu.

It does seem like AMD owners are having a rougher time of it than Nvidia users. I have bought an AMD card since I think a 9000 series card, possibly a 9800? Never looked back.

I had no overclocking and nothing in the Community folder. Towards the end , every other flight resulted in a CTD.

Me and my Father are running Intel on stable PC’s. We too are suddenly experiencing CTD. I believe this has something to do with the latest windows 10 update 21H1

3 Likes

this is called sponsored development…

1 Like

I finally solved my nightmare problem with CTD, since 2021 suffering with it. I had tried everything without success, even though I had a new and very robust machine. I couldn’t load many planes and sceneries. I couldn’t even fly to certain regions on the globe. Always CTD. And the culprit was “Msi afterburner with on-screen results display”. I only disabled its starts with windows and zazzz. Everything went back to normal. All the problems are over. Now I can use absolutely everything!!!

Sorry to be that guy, but if you had looked at the FAQ for troubleshooting, on the support page, it does list Adferburner as a problematic app, and recommends its removal.

Glad you sorted your issues. :+1:

1 Like

Oh, thank you. I will take a look at that! Now, I’m very happy to have no more CTD.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t post the links to what I hinted at.

There are “Basic”, and “Advanced” sets of troubleshooting steps. Just in case you start getting this again, here they are: