CTD west to east long flights, vcruntime140.dll error, east to west no issues

Flying west to east, usually KDEN to Tampa or KDEN to Ramstein/Frankfurt always ends in a CTD. Aircraft doesn’t matter (I cheat by re-filling fuel on smaller craft), IFR or GPS routes doesn’t matter. Tried flying with graphics set to high and low. But flying east to west, same airports, the flights complete with no issue. No issues completing shorter flights (2-3 hours or less) in any direction.

Recently subscribed to Navigraph premium and have the beta software installed, CTD issues were present before installing so not Navigraph.

Not a pilot, just a tad above a casual flight simmer, and by no means have I kept any kind of detailed notes on these crashes but I have checked the event viewer and 99% of the time the CTD shows VCruntime 140 error (I have had a few driver timeout issues with some driver versions but not since the last 2 or so AMD driver updates).

This is just something I noticed when I recently began flying east to west routes. I’ve tried all the community “fixes”, reinstalling direct X, underclocking/volting GPU/CPU, XMR memory profile on/off, reinstalling MSFS, rolling back drivers, clearing community folder, etc. Flying a mix of high/med graphics settings and getting mid 50FPS high altitude and mid to low 30s, low altitude in photogrammetry cities.

System on last completed flight (5+ hours in TBM930 no mods) : i7 10700K Oc’d 36% (5.0+ GHz) via asus ROG Strix Z490-E gaming 1200 MB, MSI Mech OC Radeon RX5700XT running latest 21.5.2 11 May 20221 drivers, Corsair Veng RGB pro 32GB 3.2Ghz XMR profile off, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe SSD, Dell S322odgf, 2560x1440 165 Hz, HDR off, Honeycomb Alpha , Bravo, and an old set of Saitek Pro flight pedals. Running MS store version.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same? I’ll try running more east to west overnighters and see if my luck holds out on the CTD.

So total fluke, sim crashed about two hours into a flight from Frankfurt to Denver. New error though in the event viewer: Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1862, time stamp: 0x609a2c73
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1023, time stamp: 0x7977b9de
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ff199

It makes you wonder why we are seeing such a variety of reasons for the CTDs. This is the sort of rubbish you used to see back in the old days of MSDOS vs DRDOS or Intel vs AMD chipsets. I know there is some evidence to suggest there are some quirks between Radeon or Nvidia cards but in the modern day with chipset speeds the way they are and the memory available on motherboards and graphics cards we really shouldn’t be seeing these sorts of issues arising in blue chip software titles. I can’t think of another product on sale that causes these random crashes. It smacks of badly compiled code, poorly debugged in a rush to market.

Continuing my non-scientific method of trouble shooting, I have under clocked my factory overclocked gpu core frequency by 150, dropped the core voltage a rad, and turned the cooling fans to max. The gpu ran very hot when running this game and most of my crashes appear to be gpu driver related. On long flights I found turning live weather off and flying with clear skies also seemed to help. Presumably because drawing the realistic clouds has a large impact on the gpu. Overall impact to FPS isn’t noticeable and I haven’t had a CTD since making these changes.

I believe the significant factor in most of my CTD is due to my 5700xt AMD card as I have issues in other games as well. Didn’t want this card but it was the only thing available at the time. As soon as I can find a NVDIA gpu that isn’t more than my mortgage I’m going to pull the trigger. But I don’t see that happening in 2021 as I’m not willing to wait overnight in some line to get a new gpu.

That’s the card I have too. That said however I only began experiencing problems around the end of December.

unfortunately it really seems most ctd’s are hardware related, power supplies can be wonky too.
for me the sim is very very stable, and i know others too, with no ctd’s.
so no bad coding there suddenly??? thats obviously nonsense.
what i see is, it can be a very difficult issue to solve.

I just replied to another post but I wiped my entire system last week and reinstalled windows and MSFS. Not a crash since making the change and possible slight performance boost (5-7 FPS?).

Running only Windows 10 and MSFS, nothing else (Windows Store version of sim).