CTD when connecting or disconnecting a USB device

a question because I remember another topic: did you ever have your joystick to a different usb port connected ?

No, this was the first time I connected it to my computer. An old one.

1 Like

Maybe this will help everyone.

Never remove or insert a USB device when MSFS is running. :thinking:

Patient: Doctor, my arm hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Then stop doing it.

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. I indeed confirm that in my case switching off my headset will result in a sim CTD systematically. I do not recall it was always the case.

Is there any workaround to avoid that?

Sam

I just unplugged my wired Optical USB mouse and
wired USB keyboard and there was no change to FS2020.
Then plugged them back in.

Plane sitting on runway. Not affected.
Z390 motherboard.

i have the same issue. I unplug speedlink joystick and plug it back in when the sim is running and the sim completely shuts down.

Mine freezes as well under the same situations - - when unplugging any USB device. It also froze after disconnecting/connecting bluetooth headset during flight. I’ve had 3 flights freeze in a row because of this.

I have a KVM switch to control mouse/keyboard between two PC’s, I also control sound with the PC that isn’t the flight sim one. I am totally unable to use two PC’s in this scenario, or I will not finish the flight and CTD.

The USB input/output has been a problem with this simulator since Alpha. How much longer should we wait to get this sorted out?

1 Like

Link the topics is better than split :wink:

This has to get fixed ASAP. My Sim just crashed on arrival of a 6 hour flight because one of my USB devices disconnected.

and here are some Winblows logs for the matter:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: pid.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1, time stamp: 0xf385cf53
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000006805
Faulting process id: 0x22c4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8ac31e2a607e1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\pid.dll
Report Id: 12a8ed7f-2160-4722-b1ae-6c9ded4f4514
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.26.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

We not SUCK. It is your “Saitek Cyborg Evo Force” driver , or that you have not installed the driver.

https://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

I remember somewhere a post on reddit
 In special these (very) old saitek is known trouble maker and crashs nearly all games ( dcs, msfs, warthunder, etc
 ) or more exact “the system”.

PS: and simple plug your controllers before you start the game
 easy thing

I’ve gotten away with it a few times. On a few occasions I have forgotten to plug in my yoke, and I’m sitting there moving it wondering what is going on. If I plug it in, and just wait, it won’t crash. But if you start trying to do anything with that device, it will cause a crash. Or if you plug in multiple devices at once it will fall over, when I found I had not enabled my USB3 hub, and when I turned it on the sim saw 10 devices appear all at one, and the sim promptly fell over in shock. :rofl:

The one that doesn’t seem to work is my Tobii 5 eye tracker. It doesn’t cause the sim to crash, but it just doesn’t do head tracking. I have to close the sim down entirely if I have done that.

1 Like

an intressting scenario
 think that was never mentioned and not much tested :slight_smile:

But these Saitek Cyborg Evo Force issue is so often mentioned, in so many forums from so many games over more than 15 years with the exact same pid.dll error message. Its just not a msfs issue related to that device.

I can plug what I want and when I want and MSF will not crash ( and I can fly ). The only thing what happens if I forget to open the trackir application is, that I have no head-tracking and msfs needs to restart.

1 Like

This issue is far from being fixed. As soon as I hear the USB disconnect sound the sim freezes. If im lucky it will come back to normal state or it will end in a CTD without error message. As it did today during take off. Not fun when this happens after a 7-8 hour flight.

Log from todays USB ctd;

Felet uppstod i programmet med namn: FlightSimulator.exe, version 1.26.5.0, tidsstÀmpel 0x00000000
, felet uppstod i modulen med namn: FlightSimulator.exe, version 1.26.5.0, tidsstÀmpel 0x00000000
Undantagskod: 0xc0000005
Felförskjutning: 0x0000000001fa8f90
Process-ID: 0x544
Programmets starttid: 0x01d8ba122cc65d30
SökvÀg till program: E:\Spel\Steam\steamapps\common\Chucky\FlightSimulator.exe
SökvÀg till modul: E:\Spel\Steam\steamapps\common\Chucky\FlightSimulator.exe
Rapport-ID: ea07218c-c30c-45d1-87ea-d163f56d2963
FullstÀndigt namn pÄ felaktigt paket:
Program-ID relativt till felaktigt paket:

I haven’t had a crash from this in a while, but the game still freezes for 30 seconds when unplugging/plugging in USB peripherals. This is still a big issue.

1 Like

same. never ctd about that. but when i forgot about this and go to charge mouse or opposite, remove cable from the mouse. sim stack.

On my side, in a random way and in full flight, the sound cuts on my Corsair USB headset.
I had set the USB ports to prohibit sleep mode.
But it still happens.
The last time it happened I went to the audio settings and the device manager and my headset is still considered connected.
To get the sound back I have to disconnect the headset from the USB port and then reconnect it.

Fixed on Live in SU9.

If you are still experiencing this issue, please use this topic and report your Fault Bucket ID:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ctd-when-i-switch-disconnect-keyboard-and-or-mouse/550352