CTD when in VR (Reverb G2) during loading after World Update XVI

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

Since the most recent update (WU XVI), when in VR (Reverb G2), the game will crash either during the final stages of loading into flight or immediately after loading into a flight. The screen will freeze and CTD. A similar issue had started occurring after the previous update but only when loading into, or near select airports (YBAF) but now this issue seems to happen in any location.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Go into VR - go to map - select departure/arrival at any location - fly

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

RTX 3080 - Driver version 551.23 (current)

PC specs and peripheral set up:

RTX 3080
i7-12700k
32gb Ram (DDR5)

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

1861617228287188195, type 4

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

01 February 2024

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

1861617228287188195, type 4

We’ve moved your topic into the User Support Hub.

The Bug Reporting Hub is for posting suspected or confirmed bugs that other users are able to reproduce without duplicating an existing bug report. Using the template is required in order to provide valuable information, feedback, and replication steps to our test team.

If you are not sure if your issue is a bug or need further input from the community, please use the User Support Hub category.
If the community can replicate your issue, first search the Bug category to see if there’s an existing topic. If it already exists, contribute to that report. Duplicate bug reports will be closed.

If you believe it is a new report and no duplicate exists, then create a new bug topic using the provided topic template.

All issues caused by or involving third-party addons/mods should be reported to the third-party developer. Assure that no addons/mods are used when reporting issues in Bug Reports.

You may try disabling Rolling Cache in MSFS, this helped me with some CTDs.

1 Like

Same thing happening now to me. :roll_eyes: Since WU16. Have had at least one CTD each sim session with Reverb G2. But possibly because of whatever they updated in the OXR tools for WMR in the MS Store on 1/30. I wonder if I can revert to the previous version that seemed to not have these issues. . .

:frowning:

You can switch off usage of the latest preview runtime

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll give that a try in the next few days. I had one CTD tonight (and then posted a complaint about it) and then flew 4 successful flights after in VR so not sure what it was that caused the CTDs. I love tinkering so I’ll definitely try that switch. Also, I did shut off, but also restarted my rolling cache at 8GB.

For long time I wasn’t believing the reports that rolling cache may cause CTDs. I investigated my CTD cases for many weeks. When I finally completely disabled the rolling cache, all my CTDs disappeared and I don’t perceive any negative performance impact (I’m on 600Mbps Internet link, only small fraction of it is consumed by MSFS).

1 Like

I’ll give that a try too. I have fast network too, and FS is on it’s own m.2.

I shut off “Use latest preview OpenXR runtime” and seems to be back to its old happy self. (No freeze then force close upon pressing Win key.) Thank you!

If this was the reason you should avoid applying WMR updates.

Yep. Unfortunately the MS store doesn’t give you an option to not install stuff or roll back to a previous version. And worse, it’s required for their other integrated apps. (Like the XBox gaming app that typically gets updated when a new FS version comes out.)

Sigh Never mind. Still something caused freeze up in VR mode when pressing the win key. (Normally could use it before to pop up the desktop. . .)

Rolled nvidia driver back to the december release (546.33) and turned off the “Use latest preview runtime” in the OXRTools and still sim freezes up on pressing the win key. This is frustrating.

Why do you press the Win key?

I use it to bring up the app slate desktop to look at tools outside the sim. Most of the time it’s for when I need to reference simbrief, other times for the few FSE flights I’ll fly, for starting/adjusting FSLTL injection, and for adjusting the sensitivities on the HF8 software.

You may consider buying AllInOne tablet by Flightsimulator.me. It allows bringing to VR the desktop of another PC (I use old notebook) via VNC protocol. You can control the apps on the other PC using the mouse of your main PC (in VR). Then you can install your apps on the other PC, offloading the main sim PC. Many apps can communicate with the sim while running on the other PC via SimConnect or GPS position reporting (I use Xmapsy for this).

I run on the notebook:

• VATSIM vPilot remote
  • web browser
  • SkyDemon real-world VFR navigation app (getting position updates from the sim via Xmapsy tool)

BTW FSLTL has a control panel accessible directly in VR.

You may also consider lowering the resolution of your WMR desktop. I used to do it by attaching second, old monitor to my sim PC and by linking the desktop displayed by WMR in VR to this second monitor set to lower resolution. Maybe the resolution of the desktop you bring to VR somehow overloads your system.

There is also FSDesktop tool (demo version available) but in my opinion it never matured enough, not even close to AllInOne tablet.

1 Like

Sweet info! And thank you. I tried FSDesktop many many moons ago and discarded it too because of the lack of maturation. I’ll definitely look in to that AllInOne tablet as that sounds like a great solution.

Also fwiw, it worked just fine today. Only thing I did was reset the OXRToolkit Companion app thing (in sim) to default and reset everything back to the way I had it again. Intermittent failures: the favorite kind of any tester/debugger/troubleshooter.

FWIW, OpenXR, the XR Tools, and nvidia drivers were updated again yesterday (2/13). Running that runtime (113.2402.9006) and the latest Nvidia driver (551.52) and now everything works better than before. :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: