CTD when turning on bluetooth controller

In this new version, during a long flight of more than 2 or 3 hours, when turning on a Bluetooth controller I get CTD.
Imagine flying for 5 hours then CTD every time. The frustration is horrible. I don’t even want to try anymore. This used to happen before (last year versions), they fixed it, now the problem is back.

I was about to reach TOD for an approach in Reykjavik from New York and as soon as I turned my controller on, boom, CTD. I tried the flight another time and the same happened. Tried other routes and the same happens. It’s always after 2 or 3 hours.
Happens with FBW A32nx, TBM , Longitude and CRJ. Emptied community folder and the problem persists.
There isn’t even an option to restore the flight at least that I know of. That would at least solve half the problem.
Also this happens always regardless of flight time while in VR mode with the HP Reverb G2 making it impossible to fly VR if the controller goes to sleep and turning it back on. There seems to be an issue any time a peripheral is turned on during a flight.

Any one experiencing this issue and any ideas out there on how to work around this? Any mods that allow to restore flights from CTDs?

Thanks in advance for any help simmers :slight_smile:

MSFS on Steam
I9-9900K
32gb Ram
RTX 2080 Super
HP Reverb G2 (on Mixed Reality)
Windows 10 latest everything
Nvidia drivers latest everything.

I sometimes use an X-Box Elite Series 2 instead of my not so causal setup if im lazy and experience the same thing. Although for me it seems to matter when i turn on my Controller. Obviously there is no issue turning it on before starting Flight Simulator. I also dont have problems turning it on while being in the Menu even in Flight.
I wouldnt recommend turning it on during loading it freezes up and then crash (for me). It might also crash from time to time while flying and turning it on. But i did not stress tested it, since loading everytime etc… i cant be bothered. But yes it is an ongoing issue it seems.

Topic moved into hardware in #bugs-and-issues (also for peripherals)

Thanks for your reply. Indeed pausing the sim by bringing up the menu is something I will try out and might actually help since I’ve never had CTD’s of any kind in Menu. This could be a good simple work around. Thanks so much for your input and let’s hope Asobo can fix these little issues which, albeit small, can totally kill the immersion in the sim and draws a lot of frustration for us aviation geeks.
This will become important once long haul airliners come to market. Can’t have a CTD after 12 hours in the air only to crash before T/D on PDMG 777, can we?. A way to restore the flight after CTD would be great actually.

It’s just that everything looks so nice, just wished it work as nicely. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bluetooth usually has a power saver feature that disconnects the hardware entirely when not in used. When this happens while you’re flying, the sim will initialise a new hardware instead of reconnecting to a previously connected hardware. This initialise process is causing the sim to freeze and sometimes CTD.

You can either change your bluetooth setting to never turn off on idle/ This will drain your battery a lot more, but at least the sim will always be connected to your hardware, avoiding the initialisation process of connecting a “new” hardware.

Otherwise, if you have a dongle that you can switch to rather than using bluetooth, the sim will always keeps on detecting the hardware because it’s always connected to the dongle itself as the hardware. so even if your wireless device turns off to save power, the sim never thinks that the hardware is disconnected since the USB dongle is always already connected. When your wireless hardware wakes up, it doesn’t go through the whole initialisation process and just receive whatever input your hardware gives to the dongle and the dongle relays that input into the sim.

I did think about setting it up so the controller never sleeps but that would just decrease the battery life more than it is. Bringing up the menu before turning on the controller works and upon resuming the sim everything is fine. This also works in VR mode.

Thanks so much for the insight, it’s very interesting to know!

The save power option could be a good tip if you not aware… but
Preventing disconnects is one thing that doesnt prevent a CTD when you connect it in flight tho.
Like already mentioned yes obviously you can connect bluetooth controler before starting the sim(workaround) still a CTD should not happen and it does not in all other games.

That’s true, but I don’t think other games allows us to create countless of separate control bindings profile simultaneously into the same hardware. I think the CTD occurs because it’s trying to detect a new hardware, then it needs to go through your online profile in the cloud, to see if you have previously saved this hardware before, then load the entire profile collection as well as loading the prevously set profile. while at the same time asking you whether you want to load that custom profile or revert it to the default profile bindings. Which has a lot of processing involved which can crash the app trying to do all that at the same time.

As opposed to other games that has the control bindings saved locally, and it just detects the hardware and load the saved profile and that’s done. Not as much processing and fetching control bindings and settings involved.

We could say that, but i think we shouldnt be to leisure with CTD. Obviously this sim is far from finished/polished. However critical we approach this and other issues, it’s avoidable in the end. Im not to worried about ongoing bugs but adressing them cant hurt. Not much more to say in this case. cheers

I know, but there’s really nothing else we can do really. Other than just reporting the issue and let them work on it. the only other thing we can do is switching away from bluetooth for MSFS. I switch all my bluetooth peripherals to 2.4 Ghz wireless dongles for my keyboard and mouse. And my Joystick and throttle quadrant doesn’t have wireless in the first place either.

Not to mention that most gaming peripherals are mainly using 2.4 GHz wireless connection rather than bluetooth to alleviate the input lag that bluetooth has.

I had my fair share of CTD but I have the privilege and the willingness to make myself some workarounds and just live with it. If I had to be upset with every little bad thing that happened in my life, I would’ve lost my sanity years ago.

I use an external Bluetooth Power Transmitter or whatever this thing is. Eliminates pretty much all noticable lag and since this is not an FPS (Shooter) im not really alerted by stuff like that in FS2020 anyway.
Again its not the matter of workarounds since we all do them in many ways, its like you said. All we can do make them aware of issues and wait and see.

Well, turns out it also crashes when turning the controller on after bringing up the menu.

I have same issue with LOGITECH MX Vertical Mouse which I use with several PCs. Since last update, as soon as I try to switch mouse (it disconnects bluetooth from MSFS PC) to other PC, I get CTD.