CTDs after ~45 mins into the flight

Hello,

I’ve been rather lucky with MSFS’s performance over the past months, however I’m now starting to see serious issues after about 45 minutes in the game. Note that I usually do short flights around my (rural) homebase only, so this may not be a newly introduced issue, but might have existed since the beginning. I don’t know. About the problem: once I get close to an hour of flight time in the sim stuttering occurs and then it crashes to the desktop without any error messages. Happened last night again and ruined my flight back home which was just basic stuff: Carenado’s Mooney Ovation climbing up to 6000 over rural areas, 20 more miles to go. Nothing fancy. Still, the system appears to be overwhelmed at some point.

Now, I will fly again tonight and monitor the hardware stats via Afterburner (expect screenshots). I don’t know if the RAM is the culprit, we shall see. I kind of doubt it, though, since I have an alright system: i5-9600K, 2070 EX, 32 GB RAM, clean Win 10, high or very high graphic settings but enough fps, latest nvidia drivers, no issues in other apps.

In the meantime I’d like to know if others had the same or similar issues and how they were able to resolve them.

Thanks in advance. I will be back with some more info later today.

I can sympathize with your plight. I get it too. I’m an AMD CPU and GPU user and experience the same. I normally fly 45-60 minute flights and often when approaching the destination airport I experience a CTD. I think it’s related to AI traffic. Recently I turned down/off all the AI stuff and these CTD’s seem to have mostly stopped. But I only did that over the past few days so my testing isn’t complete. Plus I get other CTD’s randomly too so it’s difficult to pin down. I’m mostly in good sshape now with the CTD’s so I’m happier but it’s not 100% solved. Good luck.

Myself i experienced CTD’s too. Not many but occasionally. The temptation to overclock CPU’s and GPU’s, Afterburner, Intel extreme, etc… i know the stuff. If CTD’s occur frequently and randomly go back to basic settings and give it a try.

Well, I’ve recently turned all kinds of multiplayer and AI traffic off, I don’t see any other players in my region anyway. My system is in a vanilla state, I haven’t touched any sliders to overclock stuff since I bought the PC 2 years ago.

Last night I tried to recreate the issue using a saved flight (always using this now). It started off fine but a minute after take off it began to stutter/freeze and eventually crashed. This hadn’t happened before, not after a mere 5 minutes! I don’t know a lot about computers and hardware, but I suspect the VRAM is running out of memory at times - check out this screenshot from just before take-off - it’s already at 8 GB!

CTD-1-Pre

Does that make sense? Unfortunately I don’t know what it looked like when it crashed about a minute later, I was dumbfounded and back to the desktop before I could check the stats.

The thing is: after the CTD I started up the sim again and did the exact same flight. No issues whatsoever. I flew for over an hour, landed three times, all was right.

Could it be that my graphic settings are set too high? What has most impact on VRAM usage? I’d like to keep that down below 7,5 GB but not lose too much eye-candy. :wink:

Gracias.

Are you using the GNS530 mod?

1 Like

Had it 2 days in a row now with the a320nx. Flewn from Amsterdam to Gran Canaria and about 30 minutes before landing suddenly 5 seconds of severe turbulence and cracked the plane… not wanted to restart this 4.5hr flight i clicked on back to menu but it went back to the desktop in 2 seconds instead…

Interesting question.

MYRD KFLL
I got about an hour and a half, then stutters…then within a minute, CTD.

Yes, I am using the 530 mod.

There is a bug in GNS530 mod that results in CTDs at airspace borders, and hasn’t been fixed yet. Make sure to disable airspace messages from the config file.

Go to where you’ve installed the mod, browse to pms50-gns530\Config\pms50-gns530. Rename the example file you’ll find there to config.json. Use a text editor like Notepad to change the value of “disable_airspace_messages” from “off” to “on” in that file. Save the file before exiting.

It might be that you have to copy the file to the first pms50-gns530 folder, but I’m not sure. The readme.md file has instructions.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I do actually have this mod installed and just updated to the latest version. I also changed the value in the config file. We shall see how it performs now. I will keep an eye on the airspace borders, there might actually be one in the airfield’s vicinity. Otherwise I’m just gonna go and lower my graphic settings gradually. It wouldn’t surprise me if both GPU and sim were a bit overwhelmed.

Note that you have to rename the config file also. I hope it helps.

Yes, from memory it has to be called “config.json”.

I’ve noticed this as well. After a CTD things seem to stabilise until the pc is rebooted. Of course if the CTD was at the end of a long flight most of the time you just log out in frustration.

I’ve been getting the same error since the game launched. After about an hour into any flight the performance degrades, then stuttering occurs and is shortly followed by a freeze. My posts keep get removed by whoever runs the forum or MSFS developers. I don’t think they know what is causing this or how to fix it (or they don’t try to reproduce it). I have a good video card (1080ti) and a 2 year old higher end machine with plenty of RAM (32GB).

Can you run a system/resource monitor, and watch to see if your memory usage goes up as the flight goes on? Maybe something is happening at the ‘hour mark’? Same for the GPU?