CTD's and at a loss as to why!

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes - only addon I had was FBW A320 and simbridge as well as navigraph charts.

Brief description of the issue:

I just seem to get constant crashes now. This can happen when in the world map planning a flight, when on the ground preparing, or if it lasts that long, when taxiing. Ive not gotten to takeoff in about 10 attempts and its really frustrating. Landing challenges will load and start. Sometimes ill complete them, or sometimes it will crash within a minute or so. I cannot work out what is causing it as it seems to crash at lots of different points/reasons. Note - I do not get this on other games.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

Nvidea 31.0.15.3742

PC specs and peripheral set up:

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: X570 AORUS PRO
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

Display Memory: 24361 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8003 MB
Shared Memory: 16358 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Ive a standard keyboard and mouse (keyboard has a LED backlight) and I use a Logitech 3 joystick.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I dont seem to have a fault bucket ID when I go to the event viewer. Here are the details I do get:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.33.8.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.33.8.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000002240e65
Faulting process ID: 0x4298
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9ef210ceb3ca8
Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 70d6aaf7-13e3-4651-a389-7a9a94499572
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Not sure - most recent one I guess as no updates are due in steam.

Ive no idea what could be causing it. I wonder if steam having it installed on the D drive and the core game date being on the C may be a problem? Other than that I have no idea. So any help is hugely apprciated.

MSFSReport.txt (14.8 KB)

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Moved to Tech Talk which is more appropriate whilst other users try to help you troubleshoot :+1:

Could be your psu if there haven’t been any changes recently?
Also check that all your Windows store apps are up to date, such as gaming services and game bar etc, and that Windows is up to date. Then try the previous Nvidia driver (clean install and clear the windows shader cache) after doing the windows and store updates.

1. Make sure the Community folder is totally empty. MSFS addons linker is really useful here, as you can add your mods back in and out very quickly and easily.

2. Make sure your GPU driver is current, or at least not ones of the ones that were identified as unsuitable for MSFS.

3. Download and run HWMonitor in the background. As soon as you have a CTD, go and check for peak temperatures and current draw. This can help to indicate if you have a settings issue or a hardware issue.

4. Check your pc’s event log right after a crash. It should show you MSFS as the faulting application, and provide an Exception Code. Try googling that code along with MSFS, and you will see a number of options to try.

There are so many potential variations in hardware, software, users and settings that it’s almost impossible to troubleshoot and diagnose remotely with any great accuracy, but hopefully you will find something helpful. Good luck!

Thanks both for your replies.

So I have done some TLC things. I checked all drivers. The vast majority were up to date but there were a couple (mostly realtek) that needed to be updated, as well as one AMD chipset one. So I have done that.

I have reverified the integrity of gamefiles. I am not sure if I did that before.

Checked windows update, there was one small one (security defender update) which installed. I also checked the store (one app updated (app installer)). I dont seem to have gaming services or game bar?

I did wonder myself about a PSU issue. I say that because I play other games with no real problem, also run CAD/BIM software as well and I dont have issues - so wondered if power was the culprit given other programs definately utilise memory and the CPU (not so much the graphics card, I think FS2020 is definately the most intensive game I play). Id be surprised given its a corsair 750W. But I have following MagicQuasar1176 recommendation downloaded the HWMonitor so hopefully that helps to see if it is the problem.

I have a quick question on the community folder. Do I literally cut and paste everything from the community folder in the new one I created elsewhere. Or do I do it in linker and then right click each one in the community folder and then select “move to custom addon folder”?

Ill look to then try replicate tomorrow. And do a bit of research if it happens.

Thanks both for your help so far.

The easiest thing to do in this instance is just rename your current community folder. if you rename it to community.full or something like that, MSFS will create a new empty one on start up. Afterwards you just delete the empty one and rename the community.full one back.
Do you have any purchases from the in-game marketplace?

2 Likes

I just created an ‘Addons Linker’ folder with subfolders (Aircraft, Scenery, Airports, etc.) then moved everything** in Community to the root Addons Linker folder, then moved individual items into the subfolders. They all showed up in Addons Linker. Presets let me load exactly what I want, when I want. If all works as planned you will see links appear in Community.

**Because I have the MS-Store version, I tested the process by moving a couple of items one at a time. Rumor has it that MS-Store users had had issues with some addons not linking properly. I didn’t have any issues, so after a couple of tests I just moved everything out of Community, and into ‘Addons Linker.’

As for your CTD problems, the first question I always ask when troubleshooting is, “What changed?”
If nothing changed, then the fun begins as you try to figure out what went bad. Be systematic and you’ll figure this out. The hard part is changing only one thing at a time, then testing. If you make a bunch of changes you’ll have no idea what the problem is (and can make things worse
) It’s tedious, but it’s really the only way.

I see you’re on the latest nVidia driver (537.42) I tried that driver and my system became a bit unstable. I went back a couple of revisions to 536.67, which has been the most recent rock solid driver for me. I did install GeForce, and it doesn’t seem to cause any problems.

Another thought: Have you turned ‘Selective USB Suspend’ OFF in your power profile?

1 Like