CTDs every session, faulting file FlightSimulator.exe, exception code 0xc0000005 since SU4 and still has not been fixed

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Every session, half way through, the game freezes then CTDs with no message.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

File a flight plan from KBOS (DLC Boston airport from marketplace) to KDTW
Takeoff, then begin descent

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

My current version is 1.26.5.0

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

1 Like

How to Fix Error Code 0xc0000005 in Windows (Solved),

If you read through this article, you will see that the error is your machine not the game, follow the procedures in there and you should be able to fix it. But again its not the game its youā€¦ ;p

BTW the article is not part of the msfs forums, so take care.

Please post the full error message from windows event log.

Your report sounds like it happens always at same location.
Thus, in case you find some thing like ā€œgrammar.pggmodā€, then see here:

The wierd thing is it happens mid-flight, not on start up, and it doesnā€™t matter where I am, Ill edit with event log message in a sec

Edit: theres no error message, just this text:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000006aa159
Faulting process id: 0x18a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8a435c8e83623
Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe

Faulting module path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe

Report Id: 4640b6be-5471-41b2-b9b8-1b65f66d6db8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I would turn the machine off, and reset the memory, it doenst need to happen on startup, just when it hits a bad section of memory, or hard drive etc. Like I said read the article, try the things it advises (within reason) and see what happens from that.

I had a chronic similar issue and uninstalled the Realtek Sound Driver. Voilaā€¦problem solved.

Yes

I canā€™t do a simple flight in VR with my AERO

Always same error code and always intermittent and not related to flying in a specific location

Not sure what else to say other than Iā€™m more than tired of this. Starting a flight, I never know how far Iā€™ll get before I end up on my desktop with no error codes no nothing. I hear how the sound goes silent for a split second 2 or 3 times and thenā€¦boomā€¦back to the desktop. Always the same error code in the Application log in Windows Event Viewer over and over again. Always caused by flightsimulator.exe and always Exception code 0xc0000005. Fault offset if of relevance also seems to be the sameā€¦0x0000000001543e15.

Hard to grab any pictures or video when youā€™re thrown back to the desktop within a split secondā€¦

1410997449907262409, type 5

Please pretty please Asobo, get your error handling in place now already. Itā€™s been more than 2 years since release and lots of people myself included are still struggling with the issue having random CTDs. Which sadly makes enjoying this title impossible.

I noticed someone suggesting this is not a problem with MSFS but rather with your PC. After having read some article online suggesting you can get this error message also when not using MSFS. Of course this is not an error message exclusive for MSFS. That however doesnā€™t mean thereā€™s something wrong with peopleā€™s PCs having this issue when running MSFS!

In my case and Iā€™m sure this is the case for most of us having this issue, my PC is working perfectly fine in every regard including other demanding game titles. Itā€™s super well looked after where Iā€™m very careful what I install, I constantly keep it up to date in every sense and in overall mint condition. Soā€¦in this caseā€¦this indeed is a MSFS issue more than anything else.

What we need is some proper error handling in MSFS to catch these errors and provide the user with at least a hint what is triggering the error. Looking through the endless number of threads on this topic both in here and elsewhere and how some have managed to find a solution, this clearly indicates how many different reasons there can be for this issue. Where all of them will have the same effect on MSFSā€¦crashing it and throwing the user back to the Windows desktop.

The solutions some have found are very different from one user to the next. Someone fixed the issue by lowering the glass cockpit refresh rate from high to medium in MSFS. Where someone else fixed it by setting the Windows swap file to a fixed size. Where next one fixed it by removing AI aircraft or replaced his USB hubā€¦the list is endless. Personally, Iā€™ve tried every one of these to no avail. With the exception of a clean install of my PC. That however is something which wonā€™t happen. To fix a single application prone to crash when every other title is running perfectly. Again, the problem isnā€™t with my or anyone elseā€™s system, the problem is how MSFS seems over-sensitive for all these different ā€œculpritsā€. In combination with what seems to be non-existent error handling.

So Asobo, if you canā€™t figure out what makes MSFS having the tendency to crash like this for all these various reasons, at least include some debugging mode those of us having this issue can enable or whatever. Where each one of us will at least have a chance to know what is the culprit for our particular system. Giving us a chance to once again enjoy your otherwise so amazing title!

1 Like

Iā€™ll just chip in and say 0xc0000005 means nothing more than MSFS crashed which I assume you would already know. The warnings immediately preceding the error are usually much more informative.

Good thinking but the only event found just prior to the crash is an event in the Event Viewer Security log as seen below. The event is successful and I also see the exact same event logged many times before and after the crash. So itā€™s seems unlikely to be related to the crash. What is a bit interesting though is after looking up a few of the CTDs Iā€™ve had lately, I do see this very same event in the security log about 1-2 seconds before each crash. Where looking elsewhere along the timeline, I see how it sometimes can be a couple of minutes between these events.

Other than this, nothing of interest in any of the Event Viewer logs prior to the crashes.

Special privileges assigned to new logon.

Subject:
	Security ID:	SYSTEM
	Account Name:	SYSTEM
	Account Domain:	NT AUTHORITY
	Logon ID:		0x3E7

Privileges:	SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
			SeTcbPrivilege
			SeSecurityPrivilege
			SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
			SeLoadDriverPrivilege
			SeBackupPrivilege
			SeRestorePrivilege
			SeDebugPrivilege
			SeAuditPrivilege
			SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
			SeImpersonatePrivilege
			SeDelegateSessionUserImpersonatePrivilege

The only bit of obvious advice I would add here is, as a diagnostic step, fly for a bit with no community mods installed at all. This will be most relevant to those who regularly get these as any potential change will be very quickly identified. A possible source for me in the past was having two different GPS addons installed at the same time, and flying a plane that could dynamically switch between them. Ensuring only one or the other was loaded before flying sorted that out for me.

What you say of course is an option. Might have to go that route if there isnā€™t any other way.

Any other way to do what? The suggestion about flying without Community mods for a while is so that you are testing sim stability without 3rd party content messing things up.

If you were getting crashes every flight, you then empty your Community folder, or rather simply rename it so the sim creates a new empty one for you, and you find your flights are working again then its a pretty safe bet that your sim stability issues are Community addon related.

I donā€™t suggest anyone fly like that permanently, only as a diagnostic step towards finding out what is making the sim unstable on your system.

ā€œYourā€ being whoever is reading this message, of course.

Any other way to find out what the actual culprit is. Causing these CTDs for me as well as others.

As mentioned already, the best option would of course have been to have some form of ā€˜Enable debug modeā€™ option in MSFS. Especially considering how prone MSFS is to crash for some of us. For what seems to be an endless number of reasons when reading through all reports from various users.

Now when there isnā€™t such a debug mode includedā€¦at least not that we (I) know of, another option would be to use an external debugging tool. To have more information about these CTDs many of us suffer from. I can only speak for myself but if Asobo would reach out to me saying:

ā€œWe really want to get to the bottom with these CTDs. For this reason, we have reached out to MS for some assistance and they have provided us with this small debugging utility that can be installed locally on a computer suffering from this issue. Would you be interested in participating in using this utility? To help us collect the information we need to address this issue.ā€

I would of course had been more than happy to respond ā€œYes please!ā€ and Iā€™m sure I wouldnā€™t be the only one.

This would IMO be the best thing to do.

In the current situation though where that isnā€™t an option, what you suggest removing anything not default from MSFS and then slowly adding one thing back at a time of course is one way trying to isolate the issue. The reason Iā€™m not very keen doing that is I have very limited time to enjoy this hobby. When I do get some time over, I spend it by simulating airliner flights all over Europe between payware airports in the PMDG 737 online on Vatsim and using HW for an insane amount of money. With this investment in combination with very little spare time, spending what I have on doing traffic circuits in a default Cessna 172 at a default airport offlineā€¦Iā€™m sure you get it.

Of course this wouldnā€™t be permanently like you say but more a temp test. However, since I never know when or after how long Iā€™ll get a CTD, it becomes even harder and more time consuming. If I knew Iā€™ll always get a CTD at this altitude or at this airport, things would have been so much easier. Unfortunately, thatā€™s isnā€™t the situation here. For this reason, I would very much like to instead find a way to actually ā€œtrackā€ what is happening behind the scenes when I get these CTDs. So I know in what direction to look for a solution.

I hope that makes it more clear to you?

2 Likes

Yes, I get you. I think we all want that, but right now it doesnā€™t exist, and all you can do is go through what is already known about as possible CTD causes, and work through them one by one. Some of which are in the FAQ, others you can glean information from the forums.

0xc0000005 is a particularly nasty one, and you will read a lot about that on the forums. Essentially the sim read something that it shouldnā€™t, and fell over.

Regarding emptying your community folder, one simple trick to speed things up is split your mods in half, and test the two separately. When I was having an issue it took me about an hour to isolate a repeatable crash to a single addon. I just kept halving until I was down to one addon.

The thing is I donā€™t really have that much in my Community folder. Mostly payware airports and the PMDG and Navigraph.

Those few other things such as GSX Pro, a freeware one adding boats and possibly one or two more I canā€™t remember from the top of my head, those Iā€™ve already tried removing. To no avail.

I have one or two things more I can try. After that, Iā€™m out of things to try. Maybe Iā€™ll end up wiping my PC to start over from scratch. Hoping I wonā€™t invest that time and effort for nothing. Based on how Iā€™ve read of numerous people who went that far. Only to discover they still had the same problem.

No matter how crazy it is having to go through such a thing only to get one single title to run properly, that might be the only option left. Other than to abandon MSFS. Which would be a very sad thing to do.

Asobo, if any one of you are reading this, shame on you for not investing what it takes to address this issue properly more than 2 years after release. Youā€™ve done so much great for the FS community with this platform. Yet you still have a fairly large number of people who canā€™t use it.

As painful as it is, the only way to be sure whether its the sim itself, or an addon, that is causing the fault is to fly without addons for a period of time where you are sufficiently sure you would have had a crash by then. Believe me, I know as I flew with only third party planes for about a month, with no other addons. I was getting a few crashes a week up to that point, and rarely a little more often than that.

If it were a sim only issue then it should affect more people than it does. Itā€™s a combination of things, and since PCā€™s can have near innumerable combinations of software, and hardware, that makes things difficult. If it gives you any solace, know that XBox users have CTD issues as well, and they donā€™t even have community addons, and its a fixed hardware configuration to boot.

With some luck, I might have found what was causing my CTDs issues. At least I have some promising candidates.