CTDs since 1/5, then Constant download loop + "Disk Surprise Removed" + "DistributedCOM" mess in Event Viewer?

Somehow I’m stuck in an endless re-install loop attempt, after a full, clean removal. Yes, I read the other folks that have had those issues before, and am not using any VPN, and have a fast connection both to the net:

and to MS while it’s actually downloading.

However, after attempting to perform a completely clean install (uninstall what’s there, delete C:\Users%myusername%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\etc, reboot) then starting 1/7/2022 ~6:30am local, this happens at 8:55am:

It freezes while decompressing, and would not ever finish. At 10:30am local, I killed the process, uninstalled what was there, removed the folders in the boot drive again
and started again at 10:30am. At 1:23pm local, it went from 89% back to 37%:

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Tuesday I was flying fine for hours, in both VR with live weather on, all the way until 12:42am on Wednesday,1/5.

Here’s the lead up to the reinstall attempt, starting with the mysterious 1/5/2022 at 5:40pm lcoal, when the sim just decided to be a turdball. Since 5:40pm Wednesday afternoon, I couldn’t even start the sim without a CTD within 10 minutes.
For giggles, here’s all the timestamps for Flightsimulator.exe (1.21.13) faulting application with Exception code: 0xc0000005, with FlightSimulator.exe being the faulting module unless otherwise stated, starting 1/5/2022:
5:40:16 PM (Normal Mode, Community Full, Lots of payware, VR, Live Weather, FSEcononmy flight attempt)
6:55:41 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, VR, FSEeconomy flight attempt)
7:21:01 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR FSEcononmy flight attempt)
7:49:12 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR)
8:13:06 PM (Same, but faulting module was: WwiseLibPCx64P.dll instead of FlightSimulator.exe, but still FS as faulting app)
8:36:48 PM (Normal Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR)
8:43:01 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, VR)
9:29:16 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR)
9:53:00 PM (Normal Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR, faulting module was: WwiseLibPCx64P.dll)
10:11:49 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR, faulting module was: WwiseLibPCx64P.dll)
Sleepy time. I figured I’d wait for 1.21.18 on 1/6 to fix everything. So on 1/6 after the 1.13.18 update:
12:35:57 PM (Normal Mode, Crashed at menu, faulting module was RenoirCore.WindowsDesktop.dll)
12:42:42 PM (Safe Mode, Crashed at “fly now.” Faulting module was: WwiseLibPCx64P.dll)
1:06:21 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR)
1:13:04 PM (Safe Mode, Crashed at “fly now.”)
2:18:12 PM (Faulting module was: WwiseLibPCx64P.dll)
2:56:36 PM (Crashed while sitting at main menu)
3:06:22 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR
3:24:23 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR, Faulting module was: ucrtbase.dll)
3:56:01 PM (Normal Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR)
4:36:16 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, VR)
5:10:54 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR)
5:26:10 PM (Safe Mode, Community Folder Empty, No VR)
At this point, I decided for the full “delete it all and start over!”

Since the CTD fest started, I had two CTDs on 12/28, One on 12/15, One on 12/4, one on 12/2.

What are other odd the symptoms shown in Event Viewer?

1. A handful “surprise disk 6 removed” which after some digging is a virtual disk, that I am assuming FS sets up during the download process, like this:

I have 5 physical drives, including a dedicated 2TB drive for FS:

1. A ton of “DistributedCOM” events all pertaining to Microsoft.GameApp and lack of server permission:

Not sure if the XBox app is being cranky?

Anyway, I’m on my Nth attempt at a reinstall, with everything looking. . .weird.

Anyone have any magical fixes? :rofl: I’m hoping that as soon as I post this, everything will start working. See? Reverse pyschology program!

Or. . .if I figure something out, I’ll let everyone know! Happy flying, to those of you that aren’t having problems!

Oh, sys specs:
Win10
i9-9900k
RTX3099 (497.29 drivers)
32MB DDR3600
A lot of SSDs
MS store version

Edit:
No joy. :frowning: Loopdy-loop continues!

I’ve been having all sorts of issues too. I believe the “fix” is to delete MS Store version, swallow the 100 bucks and use Steam instead. Which I don’t really want to do but I’m almost at the end of my tether.

This is the second time in two days I’ve been forced to do a complete install. Not a beta participant either.

I like to think I’m patient. . .but here’s 5:08 today.

And fingers crossed at 5:44!

. . .but. . .6:06.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Alrighty. . .well, I’m not sure what “worked” but I did the following (thanks for a bunch of “things to try” @TenPatrol !) since all the tries in my above posts

1. These Xbox “force stop” fixes including reboots

2. Stopped NahimicService and reinstalled my Realtek Audio drivers (I should get a real sound card :woozy_face:) And not sure who recommended this, but I did try it. . . (HT @Hagguen3 in this post)

3. Said a prayer

4. Ignored it while it ahem downloaded. . .

5. Went and played FC6 with MrsCuzDawg

6. Was rudely interrupted when the install actually completed.

7. Now on to 120GB of content manager downloading.

I’ll actually try and fly tomorrow and report back if everything now works.

1 Like

Your post got my attention because I had the same CTD pattern you did. A few CTDs in the weeks prior then suddenly on Jan 5th I couldn’t run the sim for more than 10 minutes without a CTD. The next day I was able to get the update downloaded but it didn’t fix the CTD problem.

The fix for me was a clean install of the latest nvidia driver, 497.29. After that I haven’t had any CTDs (yet).

The timing of the behavior change makes me think something was pushed out to our pc’s in advance of the update that aggravated the problem.

1 Like

That service seemed to cause a mess with my SU7 experience when I got my new PC a few weeks ago. Once deleted, my experiences have been much more stable. Don’t know why anyone really needs it, especially for flight simming. It seems like the ubiquitous on-board Realtek sound on almost every motherboard around handles everything I throw at it for basic gaming. If you want or need high-end audio input/output (such as for audio recording or mastering), chances are you’ll have an external USB audio interface anyway.

But regardless, good luck with your situation this weekend. Hope everything stays smooth and trouble-free.

1 Like

This is the second time I have read where Realtek drivers have been the issue.

As for getting a sound card, I picked up a Sound Blaster Ae5 and could not be happier.

Simple things like easily leaving my headphones plugged in and being able to switch to them are nice.

1 Like

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I did uninstall the 497.29s–complete, reboot in safe mode, ran DDU, reboot, reinstall the 496.XX (84 I think?). But that was somewhere in the middle of my chronic CTDs. Then I did another complete uninstall/reinstall of the 497.29s again and have left them since.

PS. . .came downstairs to check the computer and was pleasantly surprised to see this waiting for me:

I’ll come and fly after getting some of my tasks done and report back. But the fact that it downloaded everything and has been happily idling on a menu screen is a good sign.

1 Like

I shouldn’t jinx it. . .but I’m about 30ish minutes into a quicky 1.2 hour flight. So far so good, and I’m pushing it. I did notice that at 7:12 the weather all came alive as others have reported. :woozy_face:

But at least I’m flying again. :smiley:

Is that. . .WEATHER on the FO’s ND?! (Mine is terrain.)

Howdy Keystone Ski area!

The clouds look nice. . .when they show up!

So much other traffic!

Thank you very much CuzDawg3! The first flight in January and since the last update without a CTD. I had exactly the same problems as he had for a few days. Permanent CTD. Then problems with the new installation! I’m just frustrated! In fact, deleting the Realtek sound driver (which has been running unchanged in the background for almost a year) also ended the CTD for me … Unbelievable, you don’t think of that … Thanx CuzDawg3! :pray: :pray: :pray:Now I’m trying to rebuild the community folder bit by bit. With every extra thing I’m afraid that the CTD will come again … The jerking mouse in VR has still not been eliminated, but I can live with that! Greets from Berlin! Marki

1 Like

I need to give credit too where I saw the Nahimic service / Realtek re-install in my post #2

Post #19 here. Thanks @Hagguen3 !

2 Likes

Just an added note, apparently if you have no Realtek device installed you will not have Nahimic Service to disable.

Just checked my system, I have Realtek sound disabled in bios and a discrete soundcard (SB AE-5+) and have no Nahimic Service running.

I have an old computer with an SB Fatal1ty and disabled Realtek in BIOS too. It has way fewer oddball crashes and freezes overall than my current rig.

Have you had the same CTDs that others and myself were having? (Or, less frequent ones?)

Very rare CTD, usually my fault.

1 Like

Got tons of CTD now in January and nowhere to run. All of them with VR, but I can’t go back to no VR mode to test. I’d rather simulate something else. Now I’ll check your solution. Reverb G2 uses Realtek USB audio as far I remember.

edit: first flight after removal of realtek drivers and disabling it in bios + ddu on nvidia drivers and reinstall came with a full flight of 1h30 in VR mode and FSEconomy without any ctd. tomorrow i’ll do another flight

edit 2: well, after some other attemps, i may say the fix didn’t worked. seems i’ve been accepted in the ctd club and nothing I do can take me out. I just feel sorry because I didn’t buyed cheaper gear just to fly msfs in vr instead of x-plane 11, but now i’m frustrated and with gear which is not the more suitable to XP and SteamVR. that sucks…

I tried uninstall Realtek drivers as I was getting a popping issue with msfs, the popping went away, but then I got a CTD from audiodg.exe in event viewer. I have never had any Nahimic service. Can’t win, crashes either way. Either msfs itself, the audio driver, or the graphics driver crash no matter what combination of drivers and settings I try. The software is just not stable at all. I’ve reinstalled windows and the sim twice. And the installer doesn’t even work properly for pete’s sake. Have never had so many issues with any other software package in my 15 years of being a PC enthusiast.

Just a thought since I’m mid Windows reinstall, have you also updated all the “gaming software” such as a fresh Direct-X install and C++ X86 and X64?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.