CTD's without errors happening just after 'surprise removal of disk4' errors

I have random CTD’s with no error displayed on-screen and no error logged to event viewer.

I do get these warnings around the time of the crash “Disk 4 has been surprise removed.” - I only have 1 physical drive, but it looks like I also have 3 hidden virtual drives.

Internet search found this Similar report of virtual drive errors associated with MSFS2020 CTD, but I can’t find that it has been resolved.

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

NO

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

CTD with no error displayed and no application error in event viewer

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Happens randomly

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Dedicated computer with only software for VR (oculus, steam, VirtualDesktop) installed. 3080, 32GB ram, 1TB ssd (no other drives), Win10

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

There is no error displayed in event manager with Flightsimulator.exe

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

latest

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

The “surprise removal” of disk (xx) in the event viewer is not a cause of a CTD - it is an after effect. When MSFS is started, it creates several virtual drives. Those virtual drives are closed and removed by a standard Windows API call when MSFS shuts down normally. If MSFS crashes unexpectedly (a CTD) those drives suddenly disappear. That is the “surprise removal” the event viewer records.

1 Like