Current best nVidia driver thread

Wondering what the hivemind here thinks is the best nVidia driver to be running for MSFS. Have read in some other threads that allegedly the most recent few aren’t great for MSFS. Figured maybe it’d be good to have an ongoing thread about this.

(FWIW, considered putting this thread in both tech support and the graphics section of bug reports but it’s not really a bug and not a thing that has a singular solution, forums as they’re currently categorized don’t really have a good spot for threads about system/settings tinkering)

2 Likes

I updated to 528.49 Studio after I realized that my recently-built rig had drivers so old (early 400’s version) they didn’t support DLSS. I’m happy with this set, so unless I hear that the current 531.41 Studio set is stable, I won’t be changing. I don’t believe in always going with the latest/greatest, since the latest isn’t always the greatest. IIABDFI is my #1 rule.

There is a hot fix Nvidia 531.58 which seems more stable than the 528.49.

1 Like

I rarely go outside the GeForce Experience app for drivers, simply for convenience. Besides, I can’t imagine anything much more stable than triple digit frames while flying the Stage 2 Turbo Porter.

2 Likes

Just a quick note.

In the last MS/Developer live-stream session following the SU12 release, Jorg was pretty adamant about everyone keeping their NVIDIA drivers up to date.

March 2023 Developer Live Stream - YouTube

2 Likes

I found this in the release notes of 531.41:

“5.12 Do Not Use Windows Rollback for
Graphics Drivers
To reinstall a previous or older NVIDIA graphics driver, do not use the Windows rollback
feature. This method will not reliably restore all the previous driver files.
Instead, use the Windows Add and Remove programs to remove the current driver, and
then install the older driver using setup.exe.
Release 530 Driver for Windows, Version 531.41 RN-08399-531.41_v01 | 27
5.13 Uninstalling Drivers Using Device
Manager is Not Supported
5.13.1 Issue
On all supported versions of Microsoft Windows, uninstalling the NVIDIA driver using the
Windows Device Manager may not remove associated files or applications.
5.13.2 Explanation
Microsoft has confirmed that this behavior is by design. If you wish to uninstall the NVIDIA
driver, it is recommended that you do so using Add and Remove Programs.
See the Microsoft KB article 2278714”

531.29 is great for me, peformance & temperatures are ok. RTX3070.

3 Likes

Before I heard Jorg’s comment about the importance of keeping the nVidia driver current, I was merrily flying around with 531.18! Can’t recall for certain but the context might have been in relation to CTD’s.
But just sayin’.
I suppose it depends on whether or not you are an advocate of the “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.” philosophy.

521.41, DX12, nvngx_dlss.dll 3.1.1
5800X, rtx3060(12GB), everything OC, no issues.

3080FE, i7-9700k here – based on some of what I’ve read I installed the 531.58 hotfix driver, cleared all my shader caches, set the shader cache limit to 10GB in nVidia control panel, and last night got some of the smoothest performance I’ve had in months.(DX11)

Where is the hot fix? I looked on Nvidia’s website and couldn’t find it?

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5455

Thanks…I have a 3080 so i will install this.

Have to agree. Similar results over the same period using my old 2070s.
No complaints with DX11 + Geforce Experience game ready drivers so far,
…choose my own ingame settings and have optimisation turned off.

This hotfix addresses the following issues:

• [The Last of Us Part 1] Game may randomly crash during gameplay on GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs [4031676]
  • Assassin’s Creed Origins may have stability issues when using 531.18. [4008770]
  • [Resident Evil 4 Remake] Corruption in the game when FXAA enabled [4051903]

Doesn’t mention anything about MSFS…

Normally these driver updates includes all the old stuff plus any new tech that can be used by all programs and some of the new games its been written for.

1 Like

Sadly CTD’s are back. Gone back to 531.29 driver.

Except the “latest” consistently cause crashes on DX12…

531.29 is the most stable for DX12 users.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I think you’re right!
My sim locked up and crashed yesterday for the first time in many months after just a couple of days on 531.41.

Gotta go back to nVidia and see if I can find the older driver 531.18 to verify it’s the video adapter driver.

1 Like

Hi. I am not to good on this changing and what driver would be the best. Here is what I have read and maybe that’s what my problem is all about.
When I am giving full throttle and release the brakes on take-off and going down the runway, shortly thereafter the throttle flickers back and forth avoiding the take-off.
Then, how do you can go back from a 531.41 to a lower # driver?
What causes this. I would highly appreciate if I could get a good solution tin this matter.