DA40NG won't taxi

I couldn’t get the engine to start with that mod. It told me the alternator failed. Is the start up sequence different in this one?

You can tell something is broken with the ground handling since SU6 by requesting pushback. If you request pushback to the left or right the plane cannot turn in a circle.

I believe this shows some problem with the plane’s ability to turn, which is also why differential brakes and rudder control also do not work correctly.

It’s not a control problem, there’s something broken with the plane’s ability to turn on the ground.

This is a bug introduced for DA40 with SU6. Value used for maximum wheel turn angle is outside allowed range according to the most recent SDK. As a temporary workaround, a tweak needs to be applied to flight_model.cfg in the [contact_points] section.

Line:
point.0 = 1, -2.62, 0, -3.85, 750, 0, 0.523, 180, 0.164, 2, 0.794, 0, 0, 0, 165, 165, 1.5

Should be replaced with:
point.0 = 1, -2.62, 0, -3.85, 750, 0, 0.523, 80, 0.164, 2, 0.794, 0, 0, 0, 165, 165, 1.5

EDIT: Updated to 80 degrees, because if you set 90, then if you turn a wheel close to this angle, it will not twist back to the airplane’s movement direction. With 80 it will readjust as expected.

5 Likes

Not sure if this is outdide the allowed range.
AFAIR in FSX using 180° turned the steerable nosegear into a free castoring one.
90° would be way too much.
35-45 should be better.

1 Like

In FSX and SU5 - true, but this had changed in SU6. SDK defines maximum as 90. 180 simply does not work now.

So how do you define a free castoring nosegear?

Other question is if you can trust the docs here - but at least it is possible to turn now. Nose wheel is not linked with the rudder when airplane speed is 0 (good) but it gets linked when speed > 0 (bad). Generally something is wrong here, like I said. It a temporary solution only.

1 Like

I am unable to turn when i am taxing at slow speeds when moving off. The nose wheel does not turn and it just goes straight. However, it turns properly at higher speeds. I am on xbox series s with xbox controller.

1 Like

Hello! I spoke with the testers about this issue, and wanted to share some thoughts and further instructions:

Before you could easily turn while taxiing in the aircraft using rudder input, but you’ll find it is difficult because nose wheel steering has been removed. To turn in the aircraft now, you must use the Left and Right toe brakes, which are not mapped by default on the gamepad. However, you can do something similar by applying the brakes (X), stomping on Left (LT) or Right (RT) Rudder, and adjusting the throttle.

Please report back after trying this out and feel free to provide further feedback.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, however as stated in the Opening Post this is an issue on PC. I can’t vouch for X-Box since I don’t have one.

Definitely a problem on Xbox.

Thanks Jayne. This does work, but it is very challenging and turning while on taxi is still virtually impossible. With a typical Xbox controller, only so many commands can be mapped as well before it gets too complicated. I won’t be mapping the toe brakes as it’s just too many extra commands. Every single other aircraft can be taxied with the rudder pedals, and this one could before as well. I’m not sure if there are plans to fix it/bring back proper rudder steering, but it would be very welcome.

As I said continuously smashing X while using rudder (triggers) does help, but it’s very clunky and usually ends up with a full stop mid turn lol.

That’s my two cents :slight_smile:

Cheers

4 Likes

It’s not quite easy to stering in RL and now we have the same in MSFS. You need to know guys that this is comming more to simulation then arcade game step by step and good kudos to Asobo in this case.

If it’s not easy to you steering by xbox controller, try to connect the keyboard. A much better solution would be to use pedals.

I thought pedals control the rudder? The rudder is not steering the NG in this update. In all other aircraft the triggers on a controller control the rudder without issue so I’m unsure what difference pedals would make?

I am all for realism, but it seems this is the only aircraft in the sim that isn’t steered on the ground with the rudder. That the case IRL too?

the pedals control the rudder and the left and right brakes of the main landing gear.

Very interesting thank you kindly

I 100% disagree. The way the DA40 presently turns has abosultely nothing in common with the real DA40.
If you apply e.g. the left brake IRL very hard at 5kts at idle, the DA40 immediately does a 180 and swivels around the left mainwheel.
The turning radius is very small.
IRL the problem isn’t the turning, but to avoid overshooting the desired heading because the DA40 turns so easily.

Keeping the direction during takeoff with the MSFS DA40 is possible, but not very realistic.
Low speed turning is next to impossible.

IRL, if you apply a bit of power when static, and you fully apply the left brake, the DA40 swings around in 2-3sec. In MSFS you need ~60sec with a flickering nosewheel animation.
It’s honestly simply impossible to taxi the DA40 in an even remotely acceptable way.

The wrong RPM during flight was already pretty difficult to accept for me, but that’s a new low point. :frowning:

5 Likes

I didn’t say that now in MSFS is perfect, but it is good way step by step regrding to this what we have before when using only rudder we moved aircraft left or right at 5 knots or less what is impossible in RL because the front wheel is free.

The next challenge for Asobo is the performance of the braking force in relation to the power and the resistances exactly as you wrote.

In the PC version, using an additional mod, as we know, we can free the front wheel or leave it falsely connected to the rudder with one line in the configuration file for ease of use. The XBox version from what I know of mods does not support this XBox community alert, who expects entertainment more than closing to reality.

IMO it’s not the brakes which are the problem.
It’s the basic yaw behavior and or nosewheel friction which is seriously flawed.
Simulating correctly working free castoring nosewheels was easy in FSX.

No way this is normal or realistic. I cannot take a turn on the taxiway; It is unusable at this point. This affects both the NG and the TDi version of DA40.
Even when I mapped the toe brakes use the left or right brake (or the rudder + brake you wrote) the whole plane stops even if it’s going 10kn+ and half throttle. The front wheel is fluctuating left and right and it doesn’t want to turn, like there is an opposite force trying to stop is from turning.
I have video from both of them but cannot upload due to the 4mb limit.
Also if you look from outside, the front wheel does not castor/move at all, even when I’m going at 40kn (in the TDi, but I guess it is the same in the NG too).

Also half-related, the brake pedal animation on the TDi is broken.

4 Likes

I agree, definite difficulty in turning the plane at slow speeds. Its like the differential braking suddenly is a lot more sluggish or does not turn the plane as much as it should. Or the differential braking at slow speeds actually halts the whole aircrafts motion so it becomes stationary. Definite bug with SU6.

Also the Trim wheel barely turns when using the Bravo throttle trim wheel

4 Likes