DA62X Improvement Mod (v1.0?, OCT 4)

yea we had AT retrofitted on our 172 to shoot cat III ILSs

3 Likes

I was under the impression ILS was developed as an aid to low ceiling approaches where the runway is not visible at distance. In this scenario wouldnā€™t both throttle control and pitch have to work precisely together with no room for error by either?
In an environment where obtaining visual of the runway at distance isnā€™t a problem why would you use ILS, wouldnā€™t an approach setup taking you to final approach fix do just fine?

I recommend reading the Wikipedia article on ā€œInstrument landing systemā€.

In general, what ILS does is to give feedback to the pilot (and/or autopilot) as to whether youā€™re headed at the right angle or need to move in a particular direction to achieve the right angle. That tells you what pitch you should be at.

Knowing what speed/throttle setting to go at is a matter of knowing the target pitch and your specific aircraft. You will find tables of the proper speeds and power settings for various circumstances, such as landing, in the operatorā€™s manual.

If you just want to wing it without checking the manual, then you try for a reasonable speed, and if youā€™re going too fast/slow you adjust based on whether youā€™re pitching too far up or down.

Looks like an interesting readā€¦thanks!

Yes

But you seems to REALLY underestimate how well we can manualy control a plane

1 Like

There is room for error. Thatā€™s why all ILS approaches have a minimum descent altitude specified.

Has anyone else experienced a CTD in the DA62, when pressing the activate button after selecting the approach runway?
Iā€™ve started experiencing this over the last week with no updates or other changes at my end.

BTW, where is the bug report forum for the DA62 or is this a bug for the garmin 1000? Using mods for both does this go into a mod bug report?

You are definitely not wrong in your assumption that the ILS was developed to allow the PIC to fly with instrument guidance through visibility restrictions to a safe landing on a runway.
And to do that requires a fair amount of precision but nothing that mere humans canā€™t achieve with practice.

Except for the CAT-III ILS approaches where the pilot is not allowed to touch anything until the airplane has landedā€¦unless suddenly it becomes a visual approach because the runway is not as sogged in as reported OR the PIC sees a deviation caused by a aircraft or ILS system malfunction. In that case it is an immediate missed approach.
CAT-III requires a specially equipped airport, aircraft and crew with mandatory recurrency. If you have only two of thoseā€¦you can not land using CAT-III procedures/visibility limits.

The run of the mill ILS however can be easily hand flown to minimums by a PIC with little or no deviations. At DH you are 200 / 250ft off the ground usually and somewhere around 0.5nm from the runway.
Further away from the runway you have a little more room to play both side to side and vertically. After all you are still 1500-2500ft agl when you enter the ILS ā€œfunnelā€
If you fly the same airplane a lot you know what power setting will get you the 450-500 ft/min descent rate that you typically look for in a GA aircraft and can set that by ear and feel.
The rest is paying attention to the aircraft and the instruments and making small corrections to keep the needles centered or at least very close to it.

An easy way to figure this out is to simply fly the aircraft straight and level with gear down and one notch of flaps.
Slowly reduce throttle and trim as required until you reach your desired approach speedā€¦lets say 100KIAS for the DA62.
When the AC is stable at 100KIA reduce the throttle a little without touching the trim and she will pitch down to maintain that 100KIAs with the lower power setting. If she is descending at 300ft/min you reduce power a bit more if it is more than 500 ft/min add a little power.
When you have the numbers dialed in take a look at your power settingā€¦and that is you starting point in the future.

After that it is the old trifecta of practice practice and practice that will make it easy :smiley:

Forgot to add something to thisā€¦before the ILS there was the GCAā€¦same principle but the PIC had no instrument to look at on his panel. That instrument was in the tower and the controller talked the airplane down using left left left stop right right stop as well as similar for the vertical.
I have done a few of those IRLā€¦not because I had to but because one airport in my local flying area had controllers and equipment to do GCAs and they needed airplanes to practice with and I loved the challenge :smiley:
Now that would be something in MSFSā€¦I think there was a GCA.gau for FS9/FSX
Ground-controlled approach - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Thank you for that information, it supports a thought, with the pilot operating the throttle, there is still work to do. My thought was controlling both stick and throttle would be more natural than just operating the throttleā€¦but like you said, practice practice practice.
edit:
I find once the approach is enabled giving me guidance right down the middle of the runway with the exact distance, I donā€™t find ILS helps me that much more. Glideslope is easy to establish, set the vs, youā€™re still taking full control 200 ft. agl one way or the other.

Things are never really simple, are theyā€¦? Some operators are approved to fly CATIII approaches by hand using a HUD.

Yes SWA and Alaska Airlines have special waiversā€¦but again for specially trained flight crews using specially equipped aircraft. Nothing at all like standard CAT-III that I was talking about.
And if I recall correctly the HUD basically turns the fully socked in outside world into a virtual VFR visual approachā€¦and that is why the crews are allowed / required for currency to hand fly those.

Plus this does nothing to explain the normal workings of the ILS system that I was trying to do for ā€œfitness888ā€

In a situation where there is 0 visibility down to the runway I can understand the big advantage of an ILS/landing system.
But for me I find ILS with manual throttle tediousā€¦I prefer following GPS to 200 feet and manually taking it inā€¦but thatā€™s probably just me.

You seem new to aviation per your posts history

Do you know Autopilot can fly ILS?
Same thing as following a GPS path

BTW, most of the time normal GPS approaches (rnav) dont have a glideslope to follow.
LPV approches do

The way the sim is working with gps approaches is often wrong

Hi genbrien,
Appreciate your reply, yes quite new to msfs 2020, spent 15 yrs. with DCS and have defectedā€¦ Yes I do understand that autopilot can fly ILS and that it is the same thing as following a GPS path, for me flying GPS is a lot like flying ILS minus glideslope, both are throttle controlled and end with flying the last 200 ft AGL to the runway.

honestly, with the FADEC its basically hands off.

40-45% power and its stays at 92-98 knots all on its own.

unlike other aircraft where the power would increase as you get lower

Well that is the beauty of FS. You can do what ever you want.
Most of us try to simulate as real as it gets.

In VFR conditions there is no reason to fly an ILS unless to practice. You can see where the runway and the obstacles are.
In IFR you canā€™t and that is where instrument approaches come in. The precision ones, like ILS get you very close to the runway in a position to land.
The non-precision ones will get you safely to the airport but you may need to maneuver the aircraft while keeping the runway in sight to land.

The GPS will also get you to the airportā€¦but it doesnā€™t care about the terrain and obstacles.
That does not mean the GPS based approaches like LNAV etcā€¦

SaratogaPilot87, I get what youā€™re saying, realism was a big part of the DCS philosophy as well right down to the pop-rivets. To your point when flying IFR [ILS] in VFR conditions I do what I mentioned, when thereā€™s lots of weather Iā€™m happy to go ILS.
And to MrTommymxrā€™s point, I quite agree about the FADEC making the job easier.
Iā€™m sure IRL pilots use GPS/approach just to get lined upā€¦

Hi,
thank you for this mod. I made few flights with DA62 mod and sometimes throttles donā€™t work anymore. I use Logitech Yoke & Quadrant and with my configuration, flights with A320NX donā€™t have this bug. Any recommandations ?

JeanLuc957079, does this happen after pressing ā€˜ESCā€™ and returning to the active flight?

Problem occurs without press Esc key. Moreover, I canā€™t modify with mouse throttle levers positions. For information, I use also SimToolKitPro with FSuipc on second display, so I made some actions with STKP like with A320NX.