DA62X Improvement Mod (v1.0?, OCT 4)

hm, weird :confused:

Did a 55 Min flight to test the deicing system. Filled the tank to 90lb (Max). MFD indicated 50% on the fluid bar.
On departure switched the deicing pumps to high, and Alternate was on.
When the level reached the yellow bar, DEICE LVL LO was displayed.
When the fluid bar indicated empty, DEICE PRES LO was displayed. After 50 minutes the tank was empty.
Throughout the flight, the Weight & Balance (FUEL) menu indicated 90lb, even when the tank was empty.
This mod is just getting better, all the time. Thanks.

Used the NXi mod.

165kts damage could be an issue at me. I was at the top of the green arc and there were strong headwind turbulences which pushed it into the low yellows for short period of time before I slowed down.

you probably missed this, understandable.

the menu does not update sadly.

It works as good as it can. The thing i need tested and confirmed is the compatibility with FSe, NeoFly, and the others ETC.

TL;DR: No problem with FSE.

FSEconomy is not paranoid about weight. It mostly cares about fuel and fuel consumption. Apart from that, it lets you fly as realistic (or unrealistic) as you want to fly.

The SimConnect client only cares about fuel. It doesn’t even look at payload weight. I believe this client is more popular with MFS users because it requires no other software.

The FSUIPC client advises if the weight is off when the flight is started. It does consider the fluid weight as part of the payload. You can either reduce the payload by the fluid weight to make the numbers match, or you let the aircraft carry the payload plus the fluid and click on “ignore weight”. I verified with a test flight that the client does not complain if the weight of the fluid is missing after landing even if you use the “matching numbers” method.

Oh, on that test flight, I also tried to reproduce my approach from last night with similar power settings. Cruise at 12000 ft, 60% and 160 KTAS, FLC descent at 30 to 40% power setting, around 135 KIAS. Nowhere near gear failure speed. No issues extending the gear at any point. I guess MFS just had a bad day when it almost-but-not-really failed my gear.

1 Like

So I have a question related to best practices when it comes to fueling your bird. It seems to me that the best way to do so is to fill your mains first, and only use your aux tanks if your flight is long enough to require it. That is not, however, how MSFS defaults to filling the tank, rather it spreads the entire load across all 4 tanks.

But by having fuel in the aux tanks, it requires manual intervention on behalf of the PIC to turn the pumps on and ensure the fuel is transferred to the mains, since it’s not a fancy Airbus that does that automagically. I think that could very possibly lead to situations where people have plenty of fuel to reach their destinations, but still run out because they neglected to transfer the aux. This is especially true if you are using Simbrief or LNM to carry just the amount required for your trip, a possible deviation to your alternate, and in the case of IFR flights, 45 minutes beyond that. VFR generally has no alternate requirements and only a 30 minute reserve, so you can carry much less fuel in VFR than is legal under IFR.

So, my very wordy post is just me asking if we users should intervene with the way the sim fills the tanks and fill up the mains first, before putting anything in the aux tanks if necessary based on which flight rules you are flying under.

What say you?

BTW, @MrTommymxr, though I flew your mod months and months ago, it has been a long time until just a few days ago. However, since then it’s rapidly becoming my favorite GA plane in the entire sim, so I greatly appreciate your hard work. Also, I apologize if this very question has already been addressed in this thread, I simply didn’t feel like going through nearly 2,000 posts to find that out!

I do wish it had a more robust de-ice/anti-ice system, but the way the mod is built reflects reality, and I prefer reality over fake conveniences, even in a case like this where I wish it was better. That’s an issue for Diamond, not Tommy, but since I’m only a customer in MSFS, they probably don’t care a bit what I think.

Also, I have looked, both in the familiarization pdf as well as the AFM (aka POH), but I haven’t found the answer to this question, though I could have looked right at it and somehow not noticed. Is the DA-62 certified for flight into known icing, or is the de-ice system available just intended as an emergency assist in case you find yourself there by an innocent (or not so innocent) mistake?

Kev

You’re asking about the fuel right? uh, just fly the plane. i just put the amount if total fuel i need. if you really wanna set it up realistically, go ahead.

Tthe DA62X seems to have flat tyres.

it’s a feature

4 Likes

From time to time I have used the fuel in the auxiliary tanks. My problem is how to access the switches as I can’t reliably see the area of the cockpit using the POV on my Logitech yoke. Any suggestions?

use the mouse?

2 Likes

In the flight_model.cfg, change the two entries below in the [CONTACT_POINTS] section as follows:

point.1 = 1, -4.9, -4.9, -3.47, 1500, 1, 0.75, 0, 0.25, 2.5, 1, 4.7, 4.7, 2, 165, 165, 2
point.2 = 1, -4.9, 4.9, -3.47, 1500, 2, 0.75, 0, 0.25, 2.5, 1, 5.2, 5.2, 3, 165, 165, 2

point.1 = 1, -4.9, -4.9, -3.67, 1500, 1, 0.75, 0, 0.25, 2.5, 1, 4.7, 4.7, 2, 165, 165, 2
point.2 = 1, -4.9, 4.9, -3.67, 1500, 2, 0.75, 0, 0.25, 2.5, 1, 5.2, 5.2, 3, 165, 165, 2

@MrTommymxr

Also in the flight_model.cfg, there are two semicolons missing in the [AIRPLANE_GEOMETRY] section, after the two entries below:

rudder_area = 8

rudder_limit = 16

1 Like

Use TrackIR.

I have the latest versions of both the DA32X and NXi, but I do not have the De-Ice Fluid weight and balance option, nor the De-Ice Fluid level display in my MFD. Am I doing something wrong? I checked the weight and balance in both the pre-flight menu, as well as the in flight menu option, and neither one of them had that option.

@MrTommymxr Yes, I was talking about fuel. To summarize all that text into one easy to read question: Should I fill up the mains before I put fuel into the aux tanks?

Help!!

Kev

scroll up for the deice stuff

fill up the mains first and then the aux. if you had an aux pump failure then you’d have access to more fuel

1 Like

The DA20 I’ve flown had 3 flat tyres (one for each wheels) during my training so I assume it’s a pretty realistic Diamond simulator.
Disclaimer: my instructor has confirmed I had nothing to do with these, I was just not lucky with these worn ones. However one less thing I managed to handle well and not being worried about anymore. :slight_smile:

1 Like

the plane is supposed to be flown from the cockpit. you wouldn’t see the tires

@MrTommymxr while I’m not 100% sure what you meant by this, if you are referring to your question above to us end-users as to whether or not we would like the functionality thta is in the photo I responded to that I do not currently have, the answer is absolutely, positively yes.

Obviously, if there is even the slightest hypothetical chance of picking up ice, I’m always going to fill that puppy up as full as it will go, but lets say it’s August in Florida, and I’m only going to be flying at 7,000’, and I know the freezing level is maybe 20,000’, and the weather is nice anyway, not filling it up might buy me a few more pounds I need to put in a fatso passenger in my back seat.

As far as being able to see how much is there on the MFD, while it’s not really icing season right now, we’re starting to head in that direction, and it won’t be long until it becomes an issue, so knowing how much “juice” I’ve got left if I’m stuck in ice can be a very useful piece of information to have.

I’ve already said this, but my vote is an absolute, positive, unequivocal, unhesitated YES to your question of do we users want that functionality.

Fair enough, but it looks wrong! A better way to do this would be to extend the nose gear and adjust the static pitch accordingly. All 3 wheels should be on the ground rather than under it lol!

1 Like

the nose gear is also extended