Danger of addiction with MSFS 2020?

Yeah same here, The FBW A320 is a joy to fly in VR :slight_smile:

I think itā€™s the other way around - you find an interest in aviation inside of you, and from there you do everything you can to satisfy it. Flight simulation being one of them.

I started with crop dusting in Sublogics Flight Sim on my fatherā€™s IBM PC in the 80s and was an aviation nut ever since. Finally fulfilled my dream to get my PPL 10 years ago. Then life happened, I became a father and wanted to spend the time with my family (and not take unnecessary risks), so I didnā€™t extend my paperwork when they epired. After a long hiatus I came back to flight simming with MSFS 2020 and is become my main hobby recently. Although Iā€™m noticing recently that it starts to get a bit old.
Time to buy another airplane I guess :crazy_face:

my Name is Michael, i am 49 Years old an i am an addictā€¦ It startet in September 2020. I bought he sim and installed it on my gaming-laptop. Since then i have invested around 3500ā‚¬ in new Hardware, Quest2, Buttkicker, etcā€¦ Even though i have only done 203 hours of flying in those 14 months, i have spent most of my time fiddling around with the System, optimizing it and i have even worked out how to use Blender and buildt the little Airport in my Hometown in Germany. My Wife is not happy, she says ā€œi have a son, playing fortnite the whole day and the husband is flying around in the downstairs office most of his free timeā€ I said, you cant compare it, first of all its not a game, i am not shooting anybody and it is about so much more. Its about aviation in general, learning how Aircraftsystems work, getting back into programming (at least a bitā€¦) and sometimes just admiring the beauty of Countries i will most likely never visit in real life. Flying around for an hour before going to bed is the most relaxing thing for me. And in times like these, when you cant really go out much because of covid, it really helped me . Last Friday a friend of mine visited me, he is an A380 Captain IRL and he got grounded in 2020 only a few weeks after his final check-flight for his type-rating on the A380. He was never interested in my Flightsim Stories, i think he still had the old sim from the 90ies in mind. But he was totally blown away after i convinced him to put on my Quest 2 and give it a try. I think he will come visit again this fridayā€¦ I learned a lot from him in those 4 hours. The good thing for him is, that they told him last week he will now be trained on the A350 in Munich and will be back in the air soon.

3 Likes

My name is John, I am 58 years old and I am an addict as well. It started with FSX, although I didnā€™t get into that until many years after Microsoft had shut down Aces studio. My addiction with FSX was more trying to get the very best out of it and less about actually flying! Tuning this, tuning that, downloaded freeware and payware airports, landclass, sceneryā€¦you name it, all in the name of trying to make it work and look better. I probably spent over a grand on addonsā€¦and flew very little. With MSFS I flyā€¦a lot. Over 1000 hours so far. I fiddle with the settings a bit after each update and Iā€™ve bought two planes (Spitfire and Piper Arrow) but I spend hours and hours, every day I can, in the air admiring the beauty of this world and seeing places I never will in real life. So I do a little MSFS every now and againā€¦I could stopā€¦if I wanted to.

3 Likes

Better this than spending it in the pub!!!

2 Likes

The MSFS addict, yeah he should be smiling but he should be missing his hair, from trying to get the thing to work right ;p my $0.02

1 Like

Which is its own obsession. No danger. Canā€™t get enough flying. Itā€™s almost to the point where I can stop thinking about how MSFS2020 is ā€œperformingā€ and just fly. So close.

1 Like

iā€™m so addicted, i quit my job so iā€™d have more time to fly !

ok, maybe i left since i wasnā€™t thrilled with the leadership of the company, but leaving has opened up lots of time for flight !

itā€™s me, itā€™s me, itā€™s me(c) looney tunes. how i spent my vacation

Totally hooked. Been flying in the sim since the 80ā€™s. I find myself thinking about it when Iā€™m at work. I get the shakes and all depressed when there are CTD issues.

I only fly the Longitude (N343BW). Flown all over the world in that girl (two round the world trips so far - one east to west, one west to east). Love her! Now Iā€™m wrapping up a 50 state tour that has been a blast and allowed me to explore smaller airports.

Hooked.

2 Likes

Here is some advice: Listen to her. Happy Wife, Happy Life.
I let that slip once or twice and seriously regretted it.
Marriage

2 Likes

I got hooked on Flight Unlimited II. A demo version mind you. That bug sure turned out to powerful. MS98, MS2004, FSX and now here. Itā€™s. Absolutely. Stunning. I just obviously mis the really good planes so far, but ā€¦wellā€¦ the addiction keeps itself turned down for now. NO THATā€™S NOT TRUE GIVE ME AN MD80!.

As a kid I had a some rough times growing up. The idea of being in an airplane, lifting off the ground and being so alone and free. It was the safest feeling I could imagine. (Landing it wasnā€™t though, mind you. That only came years later). Till this day whenever Iā€™m stressed I step into that digital cockpit, turn on the cousy little lights and lift off the earth into that same sense of safety and control and being on my own up there where nothing can harm ya. ā€¦Well, one should mind the cumulonimbus clouds.

ā€¦Yeahā€¦ Thatā€™s just powerful. I donā€™t think it will ever leave me. Nice to read Iā€™m not alone. :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m NOT addicted. I have it completely under control ā€¦
:wink:

1 Like

Hi, my name is Ken, andā€¦ and Iā€™m addicted to MSFS 2020, radials in generalā€¦

*sobs in propeller

I introduced wife to the simming world of MSFSā€¦I think she has a problem nowā€¦I have created a monster. Every time I come home from work she is on MY SIM.

1 Like

Canā€™t get addicted to something so broken.

Yes, those gamma rays from the far end of he sofa seem common for us poor, humble sim users. It gives me comfort to know that I ainā€™t alone.

2 Likes

No what you do is go out and buy a 72" UHD set another office chair and another joystick/yoke. Now see you can both sit in the plane together and fly together and share those precious moments together!

2 Likes

Very trueā€¦but I know who would end up as the co-pilot.

ROFL ā€¦ yes capt dearā€¦ to funny