DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

I built a new computer and put in a 4090 card. Phone photos tend to blur the pic. It looks a million times better in person. I think I was at 37K

6 Likes

Great to see continued support and massive improvements to this AC long after a lot of us first bought it from you Dean. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

I fired it up following the most recent update after (admittedly) not having simed in it for quite a long time. The improvements to it now since launch are, imo, substantial and are a credit to you.

Well done Dean and thank you :+1:

12 Likes

Just had my first go in the 14b, the thing sounds fantastic all the engine startup and shut down sounds are great.

Hopefully the next update brings the graphical improvements to match the rest of it but she ain’t bad at all :+1:

4 Likes

thanks deano for the info. just proves my earlier point

1 Like

I like how this photo came out and thought I would share it with the group. How could you not LOVE!! the F-14.

11 Likes

Okay, I think I’m genuinely jealous of the colour uniformity and smoothness on your screen… Literally not a single trace of banding. Good for you :+1::smiley::joy:

2 Likes

My little GPU starter seems to be a bit glitchy, sometimes it’s there outside when I turn it on sometimes it’s although I can hear it still :person_shrugging:

Question: Do I have this set correctly? My windshield will not clear. :thinking:
Condition: Rain Alt: 15K
Thanks!!

Update: MAN!! that was a tough landing. No AP, GS, rain, dark clouds, and 0 visibility. Had to cheat and use the landing ribbon. That front black post saved my ***

Question: Was the flight charscteristics of the F-14 during landing changed? I ask because it happened again while I was landing. The F-14 was pushed around ( became unstable ) just prior to landing. It was like it was hit by a strong wing. It was a clear day and I did not add any wind in MSFS.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

My guess would be pull heat from the engines (both) not ram air I may be wrong though, but you cant adjust the temperature so not sure how well that’s modelled?

1 Like

Same here during my yessterday flight!
I have no solution for that.
Deice was on.

1 Like

Should work but maybe is possible that the switch animation is working in reverse. Is the windshield switch.

We will check it on our end.

2 Likes

Yes, it has been changed: FBW has been removed, among other things because it made the plane too stable and required practically no pilot skills (therefore AFCS modes are not available). On the other hand, it uses CFD simulation, which means that the plane will be clearly influenced by all weather situations, so it will depend on the pilot’s ability in many cases. DLC and ACLS modes continue and will continue on the plane.

To land, guide yourself by the angle of attack, always in a range of 7-10 degrees.

And remember that we cannot provide support here. Anything we are on Discord.

2 Likes

I know DC Designs is not allowed to provide support and I thank you for that detailed information. I did join Discord but I don’t know how to find DC Designs.

My eyes are not that good and so I tend to look at that round circle on the front left side and it’s almost always yellow.No arrow above or below.

I LOVE!! the update. Especially that front black post.

Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

You only had to ask!

1 Like

Thanks CodenameJack447 for the invite.

Now that I know the flight charscteristics have changed I reinstalled this livery. Did a flight and all went smoothly. landing with AP off. JFK 4L

3 Likes

Nice! Is this out on Xbox yet? I was told the Tomcat has no FBW in real life so it’s great that you guys strive for accuracy and realism.

It has AFCS, which is an augmented stability system (Analogue Flight Control System). In models B and D it is replaced by DFCS (Digital Flight Control System). We have tried to emulate it using FBW. The problem is that using this makes the F-14 too stable. So other ways will be studied. At the moment I have no record of it being on Xbox. Should be available next Thursday if all goes well.

3 Likes

I just disable the three notches on the left panel to have full control over the aircraft … then it flies more like the F-16 with FBW off …brilliant but I wonder if the real Tomcat can maneuver and pull Gs like that

1 Like

Yeah debatable… I’ve seen it show 10gs quite regularly.