DC Designs F-14A/B Tomcat Announcement & Discussion

Well done on your first PC build. Until now I have taken the easy option and had my PC built by a supplier using my chosen components.

This time I’m going to have a go myself and build it from scratch so I’m expecting a few challenges myself along the way and for it to be a bit of a learning process. Fingers crossed anyway.

1 Like

Low temps shouldn’t cause your CPU to perform worse, sounds like a really weird issue. Also use XMP, it’s basically the manufacturer overclock setting and shouldn’t cause any problems at all unless you have some other system instability issues which it kinda sounds like you do TBH…

Thanks!! It was scary, fun and frustrating at times but I do not regret it. I learned a lot from watching JaysTwoCents on youtube.

Good Luck

1 Like

Still geeking out at Maverick and Goose’s Tomcat

Another day at the office :sunglasses:

Finally took a break from buzzing the tower to get in a flight from Miramar to San Francisco

5 Likes

Computer problem solved ( problem was AI suite 3 not playing nice with MSFS ) and I’m back in the air :sunglasses: Now that I know how to use IAS, I set it to 240 before takeoff and day or night my takeoffs are now much improved. My day or night/bad weather landings still SUCKS!! :face_with_head_bandage: and I’m now trying to use the two MFD to land using TV norm (I LIKE!! TV norm), heading select and VS but I find myself chasing the ball and the runway. you can see in photo 2 that it does’nt show any GS info. What I mean is that it does’nt match the flight chart.
Any advice :thinking: Thanks!!!

Update: This time I used L Nav/VOR with VS and it was going perfect until the end when it broke off. Question: do we have the ability to set minimums and if not, what is the min already set to?

Update: I DID IT :grinning: My first landing with only the MFD. No looking up. I just used the approach mode and at around 100ft I turned offf the AP and landed without looking up. That was very scary but now I know I can land with zero visibility. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

i dont know what i am doing wrong but the direct lift control doesent work for me. the switch keeps immediately flipping back after flipping it so icant raise those small spoilers to create extra lift for take off and landing. is it bugged? the provided handbook says for it to work flaps must be fully extended and the landing gear in the down position however i remember seeing a yt video where it was also being used for take off but regardless of flap settings it doesent work

It’s automatic for you now on the latest update, too many people kept forgetting to engage DLC and claimed they couldn’t land. DLC was not used on take off.

2 Likes

Deano, you know i love your F-14 and the F-15, but since the last update when in cockpit view you cant slide out on the wing to get the “go pro” shots on either. any chance that this option can come back in the future ? will we be able to do it on the up coming F-4?

the DLC makes so much difference, i never forgot it :wink:

1 Like

ah ok i see. yeah now i noticed it coming on automatically😄

You need to create custom camera views using the outside camera now to do that. We have to put a collision mesh on the cockpit interior so people can’t bust their heads through the canopy.

2 Likes

The roll rate feels too slow since the update. Any way to increase this? The tomcat would be a sitting duck against other more agile and nimble fighters.

Surely, it doesn’t roll this slowly in real life? Pitch feels great though so not sure why the roll has become so sluggish.

@DEAN01973
@CodenameJack447

Also there’s an issue with all DC Designs jets at the moment where you go full throttle at the runway right before takeoff,but the throttle takes a few seconds to respond … the needle in the external HUD would be full but the engine’s sound and RPM spools up a few seconds later. Exact same bug with both DC fighters I own. No issue with the other jetd

No support offered here. Contact us on Discord for information:

I’ve been flying the DC range for some time now, i never noticed any serious lag in turbine spool times, yes there will be a fraction of lag as the fuel has to be injected from tank to combustion chamber so it will never be instant, but if anyone’s aeronautics and engineering skills and experience surpass that of the DCD advisors id suggest they build their own products and wholly dominate the marketplace

6 Likes

the F14 was always an interceptor more than an air superiority fighter with 1970`s jet engines and a big airframe for the radar and fuel. if the real aircraft could roll and accelerate at F18 rates, i doubt it would have been pensioned off so quick in the real world.

2 Likes

Not to discount your points of size and role as I generally agree, but what I gather from years of fandom (and from Dean and co) is it appears the Tomcat could hold her own in a dogfight if flown the right way. Especially with the B model and her upgraded engines that better matched the design of the airframe.

My understanding of the Tomcat’s retirement was due to several factors: complexity and maintenance costs with the swing wings, lack of role (e.g. Soviet bombers to intercept), and the existence of the Hornet able to fulfill general fighter requirements at a lower cost while also reducing hardware variety as it was already serving in the ground attack role.

4 Likes

yep end of the “cold war " and the troublesome hydraulics’ system was no help to its long service. as with the F4 before it and as with all other fighter type aircraft they have there strengths and weaknesses by trade off for different things. that is why the navy didnt show that much interest in a F110 engine , digital fly by wire and longer range F14d.
as for the dcdesigns F14a and b i have found the roll rate round the 500 knot range plenty to get me out of most troubles.
as for costs and roles of the F18 and later F/A 18 hornet , look up james p. stevenson book " the pentagon paradox -development of the F-18 hornet” together with his other book “the $5 billion misunderstand” service figures should always be taken with plenty of salt

1 Like

The F-14A Tomcat was indeed built primarily as an air-superiority platform due to lessons learned form the F4 Phantom in the Vietnam conflict, with a supporting long-range interceptor capability facilitated by a large radar, datalink to E2C Hawkeye AEW platforms and the AIM-54 Phoenix missile. Correctly flown, the F-14 could out-manoeuver any other aircraft in the skies of its time and out-rate even the F-16 Viper in a two-circle fight. Of course, it had its weakness also, especially higher up where the Eagles and Vipers would hold court. The F-14B / D models changed that also, and turned the Tomcat into the jet it was supposed to have been from the start.

It could also out-accelerate the F/A-18C although roll-rate was maximum 270 degrees per sec if I recall correctly, and had to be handled carefully due to adverse yaw.

None the less, it was a dogfighter through-and-through.

11 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes