Developing own WASM module + SimConnect client - all kinds of questions

When you’re developing a module, you’re either doing fast rebuild + reload or you’re putting your files into the Community folder. Not both.

You’re using DevMode to mount it at runtime, which MSFS can do without the files being in the Community folder. You just use the Community folder for non-development (i.e. production) deployments.

Very helpful and detailed explanation of how to set up a “module” project, thank you! MSFS dev team should copy this to their SDK docs, in fact, say I.

Just for anyone else who may get stuck like I did, the OutputDir must (apparently) be named modules (just like in the screenshots here). Even the singular “module” won’t work. It seems like you can just select any folder… but noooo.

Funny, first time I tried it with just a simple “hello world” .wasm and did everything like you said and it worked fine… then feeling cocky once I had my real code to test, I named stuff however I pleased… and, yea. And I also screwed up my original project file by trying to hand-edit it :slight_smile:

And you know it’s not working when it “builds” the project almost instantly instead of freezing up for a while.

Anyway, thanks again @RoystonSidhe , you should get more love for this post!

-Max

2 Likes

…yes, for several hours till I read this :

Thanks for that !!

1 Like

Hi, @HBilliet

Thank you for your effort writing a tutorial using SimConnect + WASM. I’ve learned a lot form it.

For your stdout not display quesion, you can add this:

fflush(stdout);

after your write to stdout, because the STDOUT virtual file is buffered.

Thanks @MachSystems,

I’m fully working on my FCU hardware now (almost finished), and after that I will jump back in the code. I will try your suggestion for sure.

Is there a way to script / send commands for the menu system? I’d like to for example press a button on a stream deck that would open MSFS and launch a flight in a given airplane at a given location.

Hello @john330303,

I’m sure there are tools to do that, but not really in scope of the topic of this thread. I would try to google for it first. If you don’t find anything, I suggest you start your own thread on this forum with a clear title, which will increase your “catch rate” to get somebody that has the solution for you.

Best regards,

Hans