DG Aviation DG-1001E neo

I thought there already was a thread for that. You don’t want to split the voting or it will never get fixed.

1 Like

Did you watch the last dev Q&A? - Sebastian explicitly asked for bug reports in relation to current thermal model. There is also a generic ‘improve thermals realism’ wishlist item, but in this bug report I concentrate on factual, specific bugs in thermal model in relation to clouds. We can upvote wishlist all day, but sadly that won’t make specific bugs fixed.

EPPRGlider81,

I wonder what a Slip indicator would show when flying these default gliders. We have odd yaw string physics/modelling, I miss not having a slip indicator. If one was present, it might not be useful with the current simulator physics and may highlight the current flight modelling problems. I may be a little cynical, there may be reason a slip indicator was left out!

Hopefully a correctly working little slip indicator will be incorporated soon with decent yaw string modelling which ultimately will give me confidence in the aerodynamic modelling of the two Asobo gliders.

Otherwise, I have enjoyed my little bit of soaring that I have ‘tried’ in the simulator with this glider, even though it’s arcadey at the moment for real glider pilots.

Charles.

Yeah the whole giding concept seems a little rushed and unfinished but I suppose deadlines were tight for much of the anniversary content. … I really don’t think we will have to wait until SU12 for many improvements so keep checking content manager and remember that a lot of the weather data gets streamed and so should be adaptable server side.

1 Like

Very interesting! :+1:
Thank you very much for sharing the Link!

I filed a bug report about not enough adverse yaw - Both official gliders should have stronger adverse yaw requiring use of rudder for turning please support it, as bad reflexes of not using rudder for turinig in gliders trained in the sim may cause RL deaths with unexpected sping during final turn when in stressful situation people return to the first reflexes.

2 Likes

I just uploaded a little mod for this glider on flightsim.to (https://flightsim.to/file/44490/dg-1001e-mod).
Real life glider pilots, please comment on the adjustments I made! If you want to fiddle by yourself with the numbers, you could have a look into th flight_model.cfg - search for “was” - so you will easily find where I adjusted values.

When activating dev mode in MSFS you can visualize a lot of sim variables, airflow and forces acting on the wings. There I found that the spoilers seem to be not really modelled as surfaces for the CFD aerodynamic computations. Instead of disturbing the airflow just over their own length there are changes in the aerodynamic forces over the whole wing span which shouldn’t be.

For adverse yaw, there are 2 parameters in the flight_model.cfg which I don’t really understand. So my changes were just guesswork.

As for aerobatics (yesterday I tried some loops, rolls, stall turn - didn’t succeed), the rudder and aileron authority seems low, but it may be just so in reality.

2 Likes

Just a heads up - in the first version, the SimObjects folder was missing in the zip file, sorry for that. Now it’s complete, just download again, please.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great mod.
I love it.
However I thought the spoiler effect was still lacking.

With fully deployed spoilers you can descend with 3-4 m/s and an airspeed of 120 km/h which seems OK to me.

It seems that dynamic stall properties are not properly modeled.
No matter what I try I cannot generate accelerated stall.
One very clear indication of improper model is the impossiblity to do “Half positive flick roll from normal to inverted flight” maneuver as described in DG-1001 flight manual:

120 – 140 km/h (65 – 76 kts.).
Prior to inducing the flick roll, place the nose a little below the horizon.
Induce the half roll with full stick backwards and full rudder only.
After the rotation starts ease the stick to neutral to avoid too large an angle of attack and unnecessary loss of speed.

The wing in the direction of rudder should experience dynamic stall this generate huge rolling force that is necessary for this maneuver - note that no ailerons are used i nthis maneuver to roll the glider upside down!
This is currently impossible with modeled glider as no necessary for the maneuver stall condition is generated on the wing!

Correctly modeling accelerated stall is crucial in proper stall training, as many RL deaths were caused when people when recovering glider from unexpected spinn pulled the controll stick too much causing accelerated stall and thus entering another spin (typically in opposite direction to the previous) - this way loosing too much height and fatally crasing. This must be modelled to train proper recovery procedures!

1 Like

While I agree with you in the sense that I want MSFS to have maximum realism and realistic flight dynamics, is it really meant to be or planned to be a flight training tool for real world pilots to this degree?

I could understand your reaction if this was $1 million glider simulator tool, but a $60 game?

The thing is RL gliding is one of the most accessible kinds of flying, you need to be only 16 years old to have SPL license.
People who never piloted RL craft expect that with high visual realism MSFS comes with highly realistic flight model. MSFS marketing support this view with all those feature reveal series and dev Q&A presentations and Jorgs/Sebs statements.
I have never heard any disclaimer do not use it for flight practice, I rather heard that real airliner and other pilots often use it. Thus supporting the claim “as real as it gets”.
Realiatically scanned gliders also give this impression.
Whether we like it or no young people will try supplement their RL glider training (to cut costs of training) with practicing gliders in MSFS. Even if MSFS would explicitly forbid its use for such purpose people will do it.
So the only sensible solution is to work on decently realistic flight model - accelerated stall is not something subtle.

BTW unitprice does not matter - if you multiply it by quantity of MSFS and real sims sokd youll get the amount of money involved in given sim.

1 Like

And you can even start active learning/training at 14. At least here in Germany.

1 Like

An update to the ‘glider does not brake’ problem. A bit late but maybe the solution also helps others.

I double checked my ‘brake’ settings (keyboard, rudder) as well, which seem all to be fine.
I ended up in assigning the ‘left brake axis’ and ‘right brake axis’ to the same Bravo lever, that also controls the spoiler axis (‘reverse axis’ checked for both).
This perfectly works in my context.

Is there a means to change the default Altimeter units (for DG-1001E)? On doing the glider training, the instrument is defaulting to Meters, whilst I have Hybrid configured & I’m expecting feet?
Is there a model file I can edit? what its filename & where would I find it - would be great.

I’m not sure that this is as easy as a single model to correct that. Yes, it’s sad that Microsobo only asked for a “true to life” glider and not one that would have universally correct instruments. Someone in the community has created a mod for the LS8 (see LS-8 Glider Imperial cockpit - Knots and Feet » Microsoft Flight Simulator) but so far nobody has delved into the DG1001 to do the same. Good luck if you set out to embark on that project.

The DG-1000E has a digital feet altitude display.

This was posted in this thread in Nov: DG Aviation DG-1001E neo - #118 by BlitzMeerkat?

Yay, i guess