DG Aviation DG-1001E neo

I just used the mouse to pull the tow release yellow bung to release the tow rope on aerotow. It would be more realistic to have a Piper Super Cub as a tow aircraft.

Charles.

The resources below will help you enjoy/understand your DG 1001 glider and learn more about gliding…

For those wishing to learn more about gliding and thermal, ridge, wave soaring, I have provided a link to the FAA Gliding Handbook which you can find here on this link…

A large handbook which is beautifully illustrated and entirely FREE!!

Charles.

3 Likes

How do I switch from a tow plane to a winch?

Hey, I really love flying the DG but have a few annoyances. Firstly the altimeter changes back to ft every time I reload into a flight which is quite annoying. When in flight over a ridge the wind makes incredibly loud rattles which cannot be turned down in sound settings. And lastly, 90% of the time the FES won’t start. Maybe you could add a tutorial for using it for Self-Launch and while in the air, as the procedures seem to be unclear.
Many thanks for this great update, I will be looking forward to more great features to come!

4 Likes

Before you select ‘Fly’, click on the glider picture icon in the top left of your screen. You will have the option of three different winch types plus an aerotow! This is a ‘cool’ feature. I tried aerotowing the DG 1001 out of Aboyne in Scotland, it was impossible because the glider kept hitting an invisible object, the tug stopped on-the-spot and I would run into it each time. In the real world either the tug would drop me off or I would pull off and the tug would fly a circuit and land. It would be nice to see this feature with the tug in this simulator.

I started a flight from Lasham, this was good and the tug waved-me off this time by rocking it’s wings laterally just like the real world. I managed to fly a ‘box’ behind the tug, going down into the low tow position and out to the left and right of the tug just like in the real world!

The DG drops a wing at the stall each time, it is standard procedure to push the stick forward in the real world to recover from an incipient spin. Using the old incipient spin recovery using an opposite rudder push is no longer used as a recovery in this situation as it can induce a full-spin. The DG 1001 responded well to the recovery procedure and did not enter a spin. I would like to see the tug roll in the correct direction after I pull off the tow and dive away as it would in the real world situation under normal procedure. Please replace the tow plane with a Sper Cub or a new basic Pawnee model!

Charles.

3 Likes

Those unrealistic sounds also happen in thermals - this is ridiculous and don’t happen in this way in RL - I filed a bug for this Highly unrealistic rattling and strong wind thermal sounds when gliding

3 Likes

Creaking is a more natural sound especially in a glass glider. I did not notice any creaking unfortunately especially when turning tightly in a thermal. Some gliders do rattle a little. I was unable to find consistent lift all the way around in my thermal turns, I used the correct centering method. Perhaps it was just the day and the lift was broken?

Charles.

I think the effect of the spoiler is small.
With the approach speed set to 105 km/h, the rate of descent does not increase when the spoiler is fully opened.

(post deleted by author)

While I mostly agree, please lets try to be constructive and try to clearly list/point things that needs to be fixed by Asobo. Saying that they cannot do it won’t take us anywhere and won’t improve anything. They probably also are learnig how to implement all aspects of gliding correctly. Lets help them to do better by constructive bug reports.

8 Likes

Few Flights while implementing some towing development and I’ve noticed the following. I’m sure these will improve overtime and some of these are global glider issues, but I thought I would throw them here.

• No Multiplayer Towing
  • Glider Glued to Ground until Towplane Take-Off
  • Variometer Inconsistencies
  • Not enough Adverse Yaw
  • Pilot Clipping Canopy
  • S80 and LX Navigation Display (1/5 Complete)
  • No Multiplayer Visibility for Towplanes
  • Spoilers Not Very Affective
  • SimPolar way off from Real Life
  • Unrealistic Tow Climb Rate
  • Unrealistic Thermaling (I think a Thread on this was marked Closed and Complete?)
  • Difficult to Trim
  • Annoying Loud Rattling Noises
  • Bad Stall Mechanics (No Accelerated Stall)
  • Strange Spinning Behaivor (Full Weight)
  • FES is strange, either our Discus-2c’s is wrong or the DG is too difficult to use. I need to do more research.

Probably alot more but I’m too busy to test more at the moment.

20 Likes

I have no sympathy for one dev talking down on another one (regardless if it is MS Asobo or anywho).
Knowing that some might answer: “But this is just a list of issues.”

It is a list of issues but it’s sloppy and is created more with the intent to show: “See here my long list!”

1 Like

How do I turn on visualisation of updrafts?
Thanks!

Simply writing down issues.

If anyone is keen to seeing them and improving the simulator experience, I’m sure that is other developers.

Being a Glider developer myself, I just want to see Asobo implement this correctly.

7 Likes

In the Weather Drop Down Menu

2 Likes

I was flying before the towplane on one of my flights, and did not notice or feel that I was ‘glued to the ground’. I did not try a high speed stall, something to try on my next flight. I could not get off the ground on aerotow from any runway at Deeside Gliding Club, (Aboyne). It might be a third-party add-on that I have installed for Aboyne. I collided with something invisible on each aerotow attempt. A winch launch was quite convincing, I did not get much height on account of the short runway at Aboyne and ‘pole bended’ the launch ‘pinging-off’ at the top of the launch. Just enough height to make a dodgy circuit!

BRGDS

Charles.

1 Like

Strangely this issue is occuring only in Ls-8 (your video with wilga also uses ls-8), the training mission uses dg and there you are able to lift before tow. This is some pbvious bug for ls as a single seather it should lift earlier than heavier 2seater dg.

I strongly agree with other points, those are facts.

@Feldgeistlicher
Feedback from very experienced glider/plane devs like DigitalJonx should be admired and valued not shun upon. No other people made so many tests, realism checks etc than devs during developement.
Moreover I know for a fact that all unofficial glider devs helped each other with their separate project, sharing discoveries and additional mechanics like wing flex, winch launch physics, nav computer - it is amazing.
Anyone trying to discredit them clearly has no clue.

2 Likes

Will further test the ground glue. Assumed it was Global Glider issues. Need to do the tutorials haha :smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Alright, first of all, it is wonderful, that we now have the first implementation of gliding into the sim at all. Great job and thank you.

For future improvement here my first observations going from LOWI to LOIJ, towing out of LOWI along the Inntal northridge, crossing at LOKI to Wilder Kaiser and than to LOIJ plus testing the engine along the way for about 10min.

Handling - Improvements:

• Adverse Yaw too weak (it´s a big wing)
  • String not realistic in response to rudder
  • Spoiler seems not effective enough, at full extension it just adds about -1m/s of sink (but I have to admit, I have flown the DG1000 the last time about 15 years ago). Plus the nose down attitude change when deploying the spoilers along with the speed increase seem excessive.

Tug - Improvements:

• The tug flies about 150km/h and climbs with the heavy DG1000 about 4m/s. This is totally unrealistic for a Cessna 172. Tug climb speed should be around 120 to 130 approximately and in clean air I would expect about 2m/s climb give or take.

LX9000 - Improvements

• The elevation shown in the airport selection page is incorrect. LOIJ is about 700m ASL (670m to be precise, but I didnt set the QNH correctly), however the LX9000 display shows 203m. This is neither the arrival height (which should be zero as I am sitting on the runway) nor the elevation
  • Would be great if the LX could show the arrival height depending on MC setting.

Instrumentation - Improvements

• Edit. Correction. Having a closer look, I just realized that the V80 shows TAS and not IAS as the analogue ASI. So yes a difference is expected.
  • The analog airspeed indicator has a red line btw the green and the yellow section, there should not be one. Only one red line at vne ca. 260km/h.
  • Edit: VSI/vario, the analogue and the V80 seem at times very much out of sync. Yes the V80, depending on the time constant / integration time might be quicker but after some time in steady lift/sink both should show the same value.

Electrical System - Improvement

• After ca. 1hr of flight the instrumentation battery was empty and shut down the instruments, switching to the fin battery helped (great implementation btw). Those instrumentation batteries are usually independent from the engine battery and should last about 14 hrs at least.

Landing - Improvement

• The aircraft stopped too quickly after touch down on its own without braking. This is a big heavy airplane, one can almost roll to the end of the runway, if not breaking. Or are the spoilers linked to the wheel brake? If yes, this would explain the short roll as my spoilers were fully extended.

Thermals - Improvement:

• Edit: see post below. Definitely need a lot of work. Not realistic to placement with regard to geography nor clouds. Focus on this to fix as it is the essential part of gliding and fix the rest later.

Edit: Just checked the DWD Thermal forecast for the Inntal - no thermal whatsoever. But maybe ridge lift in a 15knot easterly breeze.

Sound - Improvement:

• Once you hit thermals it makes that strange sound - like if sails are flapping. Leave it, it´s not realistic. Yes it is a sailplane, but it has no sails :wink:

So the sun is setting soon, time to hangar the DG for the night and sample the local Austrian cuisine, while sharing the gliding stories of the day :slight_smile: .

14 Likes