DG Aviation DG-1001E neo

The FES works for me. However I can confirm all the other “bugs” he found plus a few more. See also my assessment further up.

I think it is not warranted to cast general suspicion on someone, who is clearly qualified, when they give feedback, just because he can’t get a badly modeled FES to work. Rather address his feedback point by point if you disagree or have different observations.

4 Likes

Regarding the FES engine, in my opinion, it might seem too powerful.
At 22kW it should get about 1.5m/s of lift and not 3m/s as I’ve seen.
The discus 2c FES is lighter and gets about 2m/s.
I’ve tried and did self launch easily with the dg1001 which seem odd (had to land first with engine on to do so)

I agree, although I have never flown the FES version.

Also it seems it is neither powerful enough nor has the prop enough ground clearance for a self powered take off. It is a sustainer afterall.

See also here

If anyone is having issue starting the engine, here is a workaround:

1. Turn on the Master Power switch. That’s the switch behind the red guard.
  2. Turn on the FCU Power switch.
  3. Turn off and on the Master Power switch again. The prop will begin turning.
  4. Adjust throttle as you normally would.

This bug is now logged internally.

5 Likes

flip on the little computer first, then hit the red master switch. my you tube video shows how. Basics for using the glider engine DG1001E Neo MSFS - YouTube

Couple things I noticed in addition to what’s already been mentioned:

The FES motor rpm increases with altitude indefinitely (12000 RPM @ 70000ft)
The glider can climb to extremely high altitudes via FES

1 Like

In the basic handling glider tutorial on Xbox, I notice that when the instruction is given to pull back and reduce speed to 102kmph and trim to hold that speed, the system doesn’t move forward with the lesson after I do that. I’m able to hold 102kmph with trim but nothing happens…the task doesn’t turn green. Anyone else facing a similar issue?

You’re not at the right speed. When you are the lesson moves forward. Try a slightly different speed.

The Super Cub is my favorite tow aircraft (real-world sailplane pilot). I’ve towed behind Super Cubs and Piper Pawnees, but I like the Super Cub the best. I think the visual reference points for maintaining the high tow position (or low tow for that matter) on the Cub are easier to visualize, and I just like how it looks aesthetically. Such a classic aircraft.

Incidentally, while I think this is a good start by Asobo, currently the gliders have a number of issues. Regarding towing, the tow speed is WAY too fast. The tow plane always tows at the equivalent of about 80 kts plus, which is closer to maneuvering speed than a proper tow speed, which should be closer to 65 to 70 kts. And that brings up the second problem, which is that the airspeed indicators in both gliders are incremented in kph, instead of knots. That’s normal for many European gliders, but not so common in the U.S.

Next, as with almost all aircraft in FS 2020, the handling is unrealistically twitchy, especially so for a sailplane. There seems to be no inertia at all - you can throw the stick left and right and the glider will roll instantly far faster than is possible in real life. Pitch and yaw are the same as well. This makes aerotow more difficult than it should be (aerotow IS difficult the first few times you do it in real life, but not because the glider jumps around like a weightless hummingbird). Also, as has been mentioned before, the gliders have very little adverse yaw in the sim, which is DEFINITELY the opposite of reality. This makes coordinating turns behind the tow plane incredibly difficult. In real life, you don’t want to turn exactly when the tow plane turns because that will cause you to turn inside of him. Instead, we wait a couple of seconds after the tow plane turns to initiate our turn, and point the glider’s nose at the tow plane’s outside wingtip. When I try this technique in the sim it just doesn’t work, possibly in part because of the lack of adverse yaw that would normally make the glider’s nose want to point toward the outside of the turn. It just feels “off.”

The final issue I’ve noticed is that on takeoff the glider never wants to lift off. I have to force it off the ground with aft stick, and the tow plane always lifts off first. This is another behavior that is most definitely the exact opposite of what happens in reality. In the real world, the glider will want to fly way before the tow plane does due to its lower stall speed and immense lift, requiring the glider pilot to stay close to the ground after liftoff (about 3 feet) until the tow plane lifts off, and then both climb together. Staying low initially is essential to preventing the glider from being pulled up like a kite and lifting the tow plane’s tail, forcing his nose into the ground. In the sim, though, the glider acts like it’s made of lead while it’s on the runway.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the weird yaw string behavior, which others have noticed as well. It always has a curl in it that doesn’t seem to respond to the airflow like the rest of the string does. It’s like that part of the string is glued to the canopy. Even the part that works responds too weakly and slowly.

7 Likes

Somehow they have miscalculted their speed conversions. This is most noticable in the ridge flying tutorial.

Edit: My mistake, their speeds check out ok.

NoiseMan,

As a glider pilot of forty years, I have to agree with everything you say. I noticed the aerotow being way too fast, It would be nice if there was an option to disable metric units on the instruments too, especially for the ASI. I realise these are modern gliders with modern instruments. I fly the default simulator gliders using the rudder, (coordinated stick and rudder to enter and come out of a turn) alas it’s not necessary to use real-life coordinated piloting skills to fly the Asobo gliders at the moment. I think it will come, I hope.
It feels as if an ‘easy fly’ option has been enabled for the gliders.

Sometimes in real-life I use a little bit of rudder to keep a glider well centred in a strong thermal, I think this works better on older gliders however, when trying this technique in the simulator, both gliders readily spin out of the thermal very easily and spin recovery is very sketchy/not positive al all! Normal spin recovery procedure works but is laggy. This is a characteristic you would not want in real-life. I have never spun out of a thermal in the real-word.

BRGDS

Charles.

4 Likes

70k feet. This seems very wrong. I didn’t run the numbers but that seems well into the coffin corner and the glider shouldn’t even be able to fly at this altitude/ speed. Plus as you pointed out the wrong engine model.

Yes seems like. Plus as pointed out earlier there is a mismatch of about 10km/h between the analogue and the digital ASI (V80 vario on the right showing also airspeed).

I think I got it now. I was watching the IAS indicator on the left while I think the tutorial prompt was basing it on the TAS on the right(?)

Seems I got confused kts to mph, no wonder I haven’t managed an A rating yet :laughing:

Yup, not so hard when you’re not trying to always stay above 93kts on the ridge

The actual airspeed window is 80kts - 98kts

1 Like

I had that too initially and failed to stop on the runway a couple of times. Then I double checked on the brake assignments in the settings and all of a sudden the brake worked. Too hard then as somebody mentioned already.

1 Like

I’d been struggling with this as well.

The 167km/h dive is definitely IAS, but I only got green on the second objective at 90km/h IAS (~110km/h TAS) so no where near 102.

Seems like just another screw up caused by the absence of any QA. The 40th anniversary content is just littered with similar.

The glider training is also weird in that there’s absolutely nothing regarding a regular landing. Shouldn’t that come before the line break procedure or sideslip landings?

5 Likes

I think the Savage Cub would be great as a tow plane. They’re used a lot in Europe for glider towing now because original Super Cubs are extremely expensive.

1 Like