DG Aviation LS8-18

Anyone else finding that the Basic Handling section is impossible to pass as Flight Sim never recognizes that it has correctly been trimmed for 102kph? I have no trouble trimming for the higher initial speed very quickly, but I’ve tried multiple times and even after multiple minutes apiece of not touching the controls and my speed not varying from the requested lower speed by more than 1-2kph max (the indication that my speed is correct remaining green the entire time), my success is never recognized and so this lesson cannot be continued or completed.

3 Likes

Yes the possibility is there, and why not ask? Because it’s simply not a reasonable question, it’s just a question for the sake of asking a question, not something with any value. My dad is a glider (and tow plane) pilot and I’ve been around these aircraft for 30+ years, and in none of those years has any glider pilot…be it my dad or one of his friends…ever put their plane far enough from the runway to require taxi. Usually they’re assembled on the side of the runway and pushed out to the runway, so starting the plane on the runway itself would be the most realistic option. Yes, the possibility is there, but we also have the possibility to load the 747 on a 2000ft runway in a canyon, but nobody asks why the plane doesn’t take off.

4 Likes

For me the LS8 is simply not flyable. I cannot get the plane to leave the ground without pitching up almost instantly to 90° up, stalling, and then flipping into the woods while the tow plane is still attached. The nose-up is uncommanded, it simply does it every time the plane comes off the ground like the CG is behind the plane itself. The DG1001 works just fine, however.

I’ve also been unable to find a way to turn the vario volume down. The DG1001’s has a volume knob in the top left of the main display, but that’s obviously not an option in the LS8.

I noticed there’s a discrepancy between the airspeed indicator and the Vario’s speed indicator. When I started using the Vario’s speed instead of the airspeed indicator the tutorial suddenly liked what I was doing, but the gauge read about 10kph too slow. The same thing applies to the thermal and ridge soaring lessons, you just have to go off the vario instead of the gauge.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll double-check that the next chance I get. (I’m 45 minutes into a three-hour flight right now.) :slight_smile:

same here, also watched a few at the feild have the same trouble , DG works fine.

The wind rose isn’t working for me

The glider seems to be programmaticaly glued to the ground until tow plane rises, it happens only with Ls, Dg is able to rise before tow plane. You also have no elevator authority until tow plane rises. This is unrealistic as typically glider rises before heavier and less performant airplane. I also should be able to push elevator while on the ground to rise the tail wheel reducing drag this way, and only when the speed is ok to gently pull elevator to rise low over ground and wait till the tow plane also rises and starts to climb after reaching safe speed.

4 Likes

I have the same issue with the LS-8

1 Like

Found the LS8-18 to be unflyable. All other aircraft work. For me, this one does not. Cleared Community folder, Checked Flight controls, uninstalled / reinstalled the LS8-18, but can’t get it under control. Also checcked for updates to both Windows, Drivers and sim. this glider for me is broke. Any suggestions as to what to do are welcome.

1 Like

I also have an issue preventing the LS8 from being a flyable plane. Basically, any time the plane leaves the ground it pitches back heavily without input, does some flips, then starts rolling and cartwheeling down the runway. Both tow-plane and winch launch cause this.

2 Likes

It’s a flapless glider similar to the discus. The green knob controls weights that affect the center of balance, either set it in a neutral position with your mouse or bind it to an axis on it’s own profile. As there’s no engine in a glider I use the throttle lever on my joystick.

That is exactly the same response I’m having. I am also getting the issue when I spawn the aircraft in flight. I am not having this issue with any other glider or aircraft, just this one.
Here is what I’ve tried to fix this plane, so far with no solution: Uninstalled / reinstalled glider. Cleared community folder to see if it was a conflict. Reset HOTAS to default settings. Purposely crashed game to start in safe mode (which no longer seems to work). Like I mentioned at the start, this is the only aircraft that this happens to. I’m at a loss as to what might fix it.

1 Like

That is incorrect. The green knob always is the elevator trim (the green color is standardized). Yes the LS does not have a Flettner trim flap at the elevator as most modern gliders don’t have a trim flap. In these cases the green knob controls a spring so the elevator stick forces can be neutralized.

It doesn’t control any weights or W&B of the glider.

However, I don’t know if that is implemented correctly in the sim as I have been flying DG1000 all day and haven’t tried the LS yet.

1 Like

This did not happen to me, I had a nice little soaring flight after aerotow and quite enjoyed it.

Charles, (gliding experience spanning four decades).

1 Like

Hi Brian,

In most the gliders that I have flown, (quite a few) the green trim lever operates a trim tab on the tail plane by a mechanical linkage. Some gliders like a basic K8 has a crude spring trimmer which is connected to the stick. I had a winch launch in a K8 a few decades ago, I pulled the cable release bung and it fell down and got caught in the K8 spring trimmer connected to the stick! The cable guide was worn and I pulled the cable out of the guide when I pulled the yellow bung!

BRGDS

Charles.

2 Likes

The LS8 as most modern gliders has also a spring based elevator trim system and no elevator trim tab (Flettner rudder). The LS4 and LS8 have quite a neat system. The green lever at the stick “automatically” neutralizes the stick forces by unlocking the green trim knob at the side which can be used for additional manual fine tuning. It is hard to describe in words. Once you try it, it becomes obvious.

In general, trim tabs add drag and are therefore not desired. The K13 for example as it is quite old, has a trim tab (Flettner) though.

2 Likes

Scrub that … elevator trim is actually what I have set, I think or rather thought weight shifting is how it was done (in the discus) but there’s no binding for that I can see…
Feel free to suggest or I guess I will have to go through the notes again.

Sorry, as written above, I haven’t flown the LS in the sim yet. But I will let you know as soon as I did. I have been playing all day with the DG1000, which isn’t bad. See my post on the few improvements and some pics in the DG thread.

Discus? The one from the market place? How is it? Does it work with the latest update? Seem quite a complete model.