DG Aviation LS8-18

I dare say Condor spent loads and loads of development time on this pre release and will have tweaked and tweaked ever since … For MSFS this is still pretty new territory, I expect they will keep improving it now that glider support is official.

1 Like

Sorry but this is the most important part. If you are not a RL glider pilot you don’t have any RL reference to compare to, I’d say even meteorologists without any cross-country gliding experience won’t be able to properly judge realism of thermals.

It is not as simple - “I have lift here so there are thermals” - RL glider pilots spend hours learning to read the sky and atmosphere state and progress, cloud shapes and their evolution to properly judge where good lift is - and when they have this intuition trained finding thermals is quite predictable for them - if in the sim thermals do not match that developed intuition trying to glide realisticaly is ruined - you find lift where it shouldn’t be (like “blue thermal” above condensation height) and do not find lift where it should be (nicely looking developing Cu cloud).

It is as if in racing car simulator - to your amazement you find out that on rocky rubble you can go faster with better friction than on asphalt race track - that wouldn’t make any sense and make sim useles - no matter how good car physics is simulated when the surface physics is incorrect.

So really giving feedback about thermals quality from non RL glider pilots is pointles - it is like describing how elephant looks when you never saw it, sorry.
Please don’t hesitate to give general feedback that you want realistic thermals - as it is also very important to non glider pilots both to have realistic weather and to be able to properly learn how to fly cross country in a glider.

7 Likes

I know however I’ve been simming mostly gliders for the past fifteen years, I have got more than an inkling of how things should be and what to look for. I’ve also read quite a lot on the subject and watched all of the YTs. Of course I know MSFS has a lot still to do but as I have just said it is still very early doors, give them a chance.

Yes, I can confirm. Just tried the LS8 for the first time, even all trimmed back and pulling and pulling, no chance to get the darn thing to lift before the tow - this is totally unrealistic and even very dangerous IRL. The DG works ok. Will use the DG or even get the Discus2 (GotFriends).

2 Likes

If I didn’t believe they are capable of improving thermals I wouldn’t be so active lobbing for it :slight_smile:
Every comment and vote counts for this cause as the time is now while they still have manpower involved in gliders and weather model.

2 Likes

For sure … where do I vote? :smiley:

Edit: Voted

1 Like

For now best place is here: Thermals, Up & Downdrafts - More Realism Updates

Ok I think it is best to end weather subthread here (it can be continued in above linked topic) as weather obviously is not dependant on given glider type.

1 Like

Yeah I found it weird, I’m sure they will fix it. I’m also starting to hate the 172 and I can’t wait for the Gotfriends Wilga to be released

1 Like

Yeah it was wave in central Germany (Sauerland) with our club LS-8!

2 Likes

I first brought this up here. Good call! I hadn’t checked to see if my options had changed in SU11 with regards to Legacy vs Modern. I was in the BETA for SU11 and this is where I believe the change took place. I changed my settings back to Modern and the LS8 works.

3 Likes

Yes… Thank you very much… That’s the solution… Extra, everything is back to normal!

Maybe try using one of the third party pushback tools. I am going to try that shortly.

The one I use didn’t work. Slew mode works though.

1 Like

heh

I had very funny situation with winch on LZPE airport but 3-rd party update of my home (flightsim.to). There is wrong definition of grass runway heading with scenery and after set winch for start, my glider start moving back hahaha really at that time it was nice surprice to also overpass winch car heh but how then lift off with going back??? :smiley:

1 Like

At no point does that tutorial tell you how to disconnect the tow rope, a process involving manually assigning a keybind yourself as none is assigned by default and there’s no click point in the virtual cockpit either, though. [Edit: I was given incorrect info; there’s a clickpoint, but the tutorial never tells you where that control is, it’s just assumed that you know. That seems a poor assumption given if you already knew how to fly a glider, you likely wouldn’t be wasting your time with the tutorial.]

1 Like

There is a clickpoint!
It’s that yellow wooden handle on the left of the panel.

2 Likes

Airspeed indicator needle is poorly visible - especially in VR (even though I have HP Reverb G2 with good resolution), those long white markings also don’t help - some examples - how fast can you find out where the needle is?

The thinner darker part is poorly visible adding to confusion.
I understand that there can be such needles, but for computer display it would be better to chose thicker all white needle.

4 Likes

Good to know! Since the tutorial didn’t say I had to resort to Googling, and the thread I read said there was no alernative to assigning a button.

All I can say is well done Asobo. The is the most immersion I’ve ever had in a sim flying. The sounds, the flight model, the thermals and air flow simulation, it all blows my mind.

Simply search for tow