Digital foundry Asobo interview August 1st Reasons why have poor LOD

Sorry but, amid the seriousness of this topic, the pun here is quite excellent and awesome - ‘no resolution in sight’… :joy: :rofl:

Well done.

3 Likes

What about flight dynamics ? I mean if for exemple C152 was really behaving like that … jeez we would have many fatal casuality during stall practices ^^

We all knew it was a downgrade.

1 Like

Ahhh true they are also taking time from the many things to dev / fix / finish, to bring the MSFS version of the acceleration pack ^^ ! When we see that they can’t even do a proper G1000, doing military avionics and flight dynamics promise to be fun.

I’ve no problem with their decision to bring the sim to the Xbox but I just hope they give us some sliders so that those with powerful hardware can make use of it. Can‘t be too difficult, can it?

2 Likes

No neither do I but why did they not make a detuned version of MSFS2020 for the X-Box and leave the PC version alone.

1 Like

What do you mean? V5 has been Dx12 since the very beginning…lol

No we didnt … as they publicly stated themselves.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Boss Explains Xbox Version Won’t Be Dumbed Down & Details Add-on Support (twinfinite.net)

The difficulty of 2 separate versions (PC and Xbox) or adding more sliders is easier than closing shop.

All this talk about the tech stack and CPU/GPU limitations being eliminated, may very well be a huge mistake. In other industries this may fly, but in the flight sim industry, crisp, smooth, and fast is essential.

Out of interest. Was that quote from this week or is it from months ago? Is the “huge outcry” therefore not justified?

Yep, add that in, and the AI traffic. Finding out why that is so problematic would be revealing, because in theory it’s just injecting traffic like VATSIM does and that seems to work fine.

1 Like

Very recent.

Depends. Toxicity and hate are never justified, no. Constructive criticism? Absolutely, but that was a rethorical question anyway.

Look at the comments on the video! haha

Soooo i guess it’s not constructive to say that i’ll probably laugh my lungs at the MSFS Top Gun pack ? :point_right: :point_left:

I’d have thought that was fairly easy. There are teams for most of the unencrypted aircraft tweaking them. Use their work, if they’re okay with it, and I suspect most people would be happy just for the credit on MSFS.

They should also unencrypt the encrypted aircraft. I can appreciate they don’t want it to be simply copied in as you do on FSX and X-Plane, but you have to be connected anyway, so it makes more sense to fix them so it tests your ownership level before allowing you to fly them. Then let people tweak the encrypted aircraft.

It’s like the KAP140 (the Steam 172 Autopilot), some bloke has already rewritten chunks of it so it is way more flyable and behaves more realistically. Why reinvent the wheel (need to avoid GPL leakage etc.) ? He’s doing it for nothing anyway, so if you add a line to the bottom of the plane selector “Cessna 172 development work by Fred Bloggs” … I’d be happy with the fame :slight_smile:

As long as it comes with that well known track “Highway to the blurry zone”. Childish, but I couldn’t resist, and more than happy to withdraw.

2 Likes

Why not ?

My first flight simulator was Aviator on the BBC Micro. Wireframe Spitfire on an Island. (Got buzzed by a Spitfire yesterday - honest !)

You could play it roughly two ways. You could fly round the island, VFR style, under bridges, landing and so on, or there were these sort of invading flying things you could shoot down.

I wouldn’t mind a shooting game added on to MSFS. Why not ? It’s all good stuff - the XBox is why we’ve got a new(ish) set of tutorials and the like, and some of the XBoxers will switch over and become serious simmers. The more the merrier, and more people increases the add on supply and the long term future of the simulator.

Though shooting would have to be limited to groups, otherwise we’ll get numpties coming into Heathrow and shooting down A320s …

1 Like

Do we know when the next Q&A is?

1 Like

Not soon enough…how convenient…

1 Like

So Microsoft and Asobo were fully aware of the Time/Cost/Quality Iron Triangle, [(Project management triangle - Wikipedia)] and decided to short change the Quality side. This was entirely predicable and a conscious decision by Microsoft and Asobo.

Did they hope that existing customers wouldn’t notice?

How can they even mention DX12 when they have such a tremendous technical deficit just to restore previous functionality like flight planning?

Sounds like the schedule and budget are going to win out again - and existing customers will lose.

1 Like