Directx 12 - when?

I would hope the fish eye fix is high n the agenda.
DLSS is apparently fairly easy to implement, but MSFS uses it own engine, only Asobo will know how easy this is to implement.

It would be good to know how many use wide screens. I will throw some data up and make a poll. If there is only 2 people who use wide screen then it will never get implemented.

May not be a bad idea to throw up a poll. Something only forum admin can do.

1 Like

That’s not really related to DX12. The last PC-specific update we had in the sim was the VR update last December. Since then, all new features added to the sim are ones that both PC and Xbox would be using, as that was the real focus of their dev work since late last year. They had to get the Xbox version out.

I’m hoping we see more PC-centric features being focused on now. We’re starting to see some small PC only changes. The offscreen cache setting was the first. SU6 will allow us to increase terrain LOD to 400 within the options menu (PC only, of course). Hopefully we see more.

But who knows? DX12 does offer more rendering options, so perhaps they can leverage that to make multiple screens / viewports work more efficiently.

I’m pretty sure that’s already been put to bed and won’t happen. It’s been talked about on at least 2 Q&As so far, and Seb insists that they’ve tested it and their own render scaling + AA looks better than DLSS and performs better, and that DLSS would be a downgrade.

I’d be surprised to see DX12 before the November sim update to be honest.

1 Like

No, DX12 isn’t NEEDED to get multi monitor, other sims have done it before DX12. I just don’t think we will get it until DX12 has been sorted. DX12 may be an option for a while, with DX11 still available too. Multi Monitor may work fine with DX11 once it’s available. But a long time back in one of the Twitch videos they said they had a large team working on DX12, it was a priority. A few minutes later multi monitor was discussed and they said something like, "Oh, one of the devs is playing and around with that, but it won’t happen until 2022. I think that was later 2020 or early 2021. I am not saying we won’t see multi monitor until DX12 because DX12 is required to do it, I’m saying the resources will be freed up once DX12 is done. And, sure, as you mention and I agree DX12 may add features that make it easier to program and/or perform better. But that’s speculation.

They mention in that old Twitch video DX12 probably won’t bring much performance issues, it allows for new features and effects. So, my hopes for a DX12 release are talent and person-hours will be freed up for other things, and new things that are hard, perform well, or aren’t possible with DX11 will come. And maybe DLSS will never come to MSFS, but it does work great in other applications. And it’s funny how companies, software, electronics, others, will say things aren’t needed or they have something better while they don’t have those abilities, but later once they have those abilities we end up getting it. May or may not apply in this case, but we’ll see I guess.

Proper control over GPU/CPU synchronization, For example, with D3D11 if you invoke 2 compute dispatches in a row and they have the same input resource, the driver will insert a pipeline barrier between them, even if there isn’t actually a read/write conflict. That pipeline barrier is a complete halt of that queue on the GPU. Which could create stutters.

It also gives the developer much more control over memory allocation.

It gives developers proper control of how and when work is submitted to the gpu. For example With D3D11 it’s possible to create GPU resources on background threads, but it’s not possible to ensure that any copy work is sent to the GPU’s dedicated copy queue, and it’s not possible to control exactly when the work is actually submitted to the gpu for execution. With d3d12, you can send copy work to your GPU’s dedicated copy queue, and you can control exactly when this work is submitted to the gpu to begin execution.

Early access to DX12 is now confirmed for November 18th. See Coming Soon: Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition - Microsoft Flight Simulator for full details.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.