Disappointed in Sim Update 5

Removed this post.

1 Like

The VR experience is now horrible. I think they should roll it back. I was so looking forward to it as well. I appreciate the work but, honestly, for me, its a flop.

20 Likes

I have to say I agree with JOJOE45. Every update has seen some teething problems and Asobo has always fixed them, yet each new update some people wring their hands and act like their sim is terminally broken. Just report the bugs and they will get fixed.

We’ll get a live chat with Jorg, Sebastian and Martial soon who will explain what’s going on who will already be working on and sorting the issues.

This update is the largest one they have ever done, making fundamental changes to the engine. It will take a while to iron out the kinks and for all third party apps to become fully compatible but this will clearly be the right move in the long term.

Just have a bit of patience, the LOD pop in is a bit annoying but I’m sure they improve it anf have it fixed for their next update, just like they quash similar bugs when one update unexpectedly nerfs something else.

19 Likes

Funny, I noticed a huge improvement for me. Without reprojection turned on I have virtually no stuttering anymore and my visuals improved. My one gripe is the AA around boxes and UI components.

Specs:
Intel 9700k @ 5.18Ghz
2080TI OC’d +220/800
Nvm ssd
HTC Vive Pro Gen 1.

What are you running?

1 Like

Same here. It’s been a massive improvement for me as well with mid range specs.

I don’t notice the pop in much if at all. I DO notice the color artifacting in the clouds (even when at ultra) which seems quite substantial. Don’t like that change; it really effects the image though not so much you can’t enjoy it.

Otherwise … I’m blown away.

2 Likes

I have noticed the flickering to per your point #6, and it’s definitely a big drawback. It was indeed not present prior to su5. I wonder if settings in the nvidia control panel could help this?

2 Likes

Seems to be a big improvement for me. Maybe check your settings?

2 Likes

HP OMEN I9 10th Gen and RTX3090. I don’t understand it. In fact it seem it wanted V Sync on.

Are you using TAA? That removed most if not all of the shimmering for me.

I also see only improvements. The pop-ins of the trees when panning quickly are the price I am willing to pay for the performance improvement. Then I pan the picture a little slower, but now I have a cooler GPU and CPU in the summer.

Everything else looks the same as before and with the same settings the MFS now causes on average 6% less CPU load and 5% less GPU load. With the same settings to SU4, the trees continue to be displayed. RAM consumption has also halved from 16 GB to 8 GB (why? I have enough RAM :wink: ). On the whole, I am very satisfied and can only shake my head in disbelief at all the negative comments.

Here I had once shown corresponding SU4 & SU5 pictures. Both have the same settings. Note that with the same settings and conditions, the temperature of the GPU is 13°C lower.

2 Likes

So people who spent money to meet the recommended specs of this sim are now being punished with visual downgrades. Amazing.

29 Likes

I’ve got identical system and it’s a crash-fest!
Can’t even get airborne to check scenery etc

4 Likes

I’d check all the basics first. Clear community folder prior to install, ensure you’ve done all the updates in the content manager (there is another 20GB of updates there for the various world updates), ensure video drivers up to date.

Otherwise maybe a clean install is required. I’ve had a couple of CTDs but mainly when I did stupid things like try to put VR renderscale to 200.

I have a pimax 8kx/3090… in SU4 i could set the headset and steamvr both to 100% (~4200 vertical res) and the menus and floating windows were crystal clear. i kept in-game at 50 (~2100 vertical) and while glass screens were a bit fuzzy the world looked great; building edges were sharp, had great distance rendering… now it seems they “fixed” that bug and menus are back to using the 2100 as a base resolution and everything is more blurry

2 Likes

This game is beyond broken right now with the CTD. Yeah whoop dee doo a little higher fps but I can’t even load the ■■■■■■■ game. Get to world map and boom crash. Hit an activity and CTD. Huge waste of money right now.

9 Likes

Update. I was emotional after 2 and a half hour update. Dunno why it took so long. To remove the annoying description when you hover over cockpit items and the illumination go to general options > accessibility and ensure cockpit interaction system is set to legacy. Turn off menu tool tips and instrument name tool tips. The game was crashing cause I did not dump my community folder and that’s on me. I did that and the game is stable again. Again it’ll was 2 AM the game took forever to update and I was emotional so my little rant should be disregarded!

9 Likes

I think all in all, its a great update, especially the water/snow version of planes/landing effects are underrated, but for me the issue is that everyone i had installed prior is now completely messed up. Some planes have. k camera views, or cooked camera views and all ILS approaches for all airports in the game have been removed and I dont know how to fix it. Hope well get a patch soon!

1 Like

No. It has nothing to do with hardware. It’s an intentional change by Asobo to help performance.

4 Likes

I had the same crashing even after reinstalling and dumping my community folder turns out it was the gpu overclock i had for some reason it was good before the update now. I cant. Use it because it crash the sim

1 Like

I’m blown away. Flying the A320 into Sydney with Orbx and FlyTampa used to give me high 20’s fps with decent stuttering. Now, just completed a flight and was smooth as the whole way (bar the very small stutters a few hundred feet from landing). I’ve also been able to increase some settings to ultra, where as before this I was mainly on high/medium.

I appreciate its not the same for everyone, I have had the occasional CTD but I suspect thats my community folder. But all in all, i’m stoked!

3 Likes