Disappointed in Sim Update 5

Jörg has to report to the microsoft board. and they are interersted in earning money. so, msfs is on xbox now, many million consoles sold, game abo sold, all fine. Jörgs task was not building a deep sim for enthusiasts nor satisfying a few high end pc users.
sorry to say. but it is pure business here. they are not interested in quality. only money.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t think FS is going to lead to huge numbers of additional XBox sales in the same way that a next gen Halo or something would. Unless there is a large pool of potential simmers out there where price has been a barrier to entry, I think FS on Xbox will be for most, nice eye candy and ‘free’ through GamePass (so might as well have a little play) but it isn’t going to shift units.

I agree that MS’s interest is in the bottom line, but that has to be in satisfying PC simmers. That’s the market.

I’m not being a PC snob. If I had an Xbox hooked up to my 65 inch TV I’d download Flight Simulator to have a look. But unless I was already a simmer I wouldn’t by a console for that reason.

On several threads many have said Microsoft is only focussed on profits or even “greedy”. Of course any major project like this needs to be forecast to earn a significant return on investment for a company to risk embarking on it. My guess is the whole development would not have been financeable without factoring in xbox game sales, additional console sales, other intangibles like how many buyers would pick xbox over PS5 due to the availability of MSFS, and potentially earn microsoft revenue on other games in the longer run.

My point is we may well not have anything on PC if it wasn’t for the agreement to deliver on xbox. Flight sims are not profitable to develop compared to other franchises, which is why we don’t see five top studios fighting to release new PC flight sim games every year.

Having said all that… I maintain there is no excuse to force a downgrade on PC gamers like this after they have already paid for the sim and new hardware !!

1 Like

Your first two paragraphs may well be true, but for practical purposes, you might as well have posted only the third.

2 Likes

Moved from another topic where it was misplaced.

Screenshot after SU5 update Ultra settings. i9 10900k Asus RTX 3080ti

This screenshot shows what I mean by overexposed and washed out colors. Also the aircraft is much overexposed; the whole upperside of the TBM is white, without any detail.When I looked out of the cockpit beforehand, the impression was very close to reality in terms of the lighting, shadow display, colors and that is exactly how Microsoft advertised it. Even if I rate this screenshot with a lot of tolerance, I cannot continue to confirm this with a clear conscience as good. The difference is huge. Many before and after pictures and videos document this change on the Internet

7 Likes

Since the last update I have read and participate to a lot of discussions trying to establish if MFS for PC has been downgraded, if it is a bug that will be corrected later, if Microsoft/Asobo did that purposely to favor the sales on XBox, etc, etc.

I think we users can debate during years without been able to come to an agreement.

So instead of continuing those discussions, we have to ask, wish, cry for, beg, Microsoft and Asobo to explain what they did (bug or strategy), why they did that (and we have to accept in advance their reasons of their strategy reminding that we are not the shareholders/CEO of those companies) and if and when they will split their product in 2 (one easy to handle for Xbox, another one more complex and fully loaded of sliders to choose running with high end computers or low end ones).

It is not up to us the users to discuss and sometimes fight all the day long to try to discover what Microsoft/Asobo did or dit not.

As every business company paying respect to their customers, they should simply C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-E.

I think…

9 Likes

I’m exactly on your line. But they should communicate with the user.

Looking at those kind of screenshots I keep thinking, that this wasn’t intentional. No realistic light casting, no shadows, weird colors, no reflections… That has to be a bug of some sorts. I hope ASOBO fixes it ASAP.

1 Like

You know there’s a workaround for that, only fly at sunrise or sunset :wink:

I don’t know, it looks to me like they tried to make the PG armageddon a bit lighter and instead made the whole world lighter. Because the PG areas look much better. That is, when you can actually fly.

There was this LOD slider back in one of the old sims, FS 2000 or FSX. In that sim it meant that you needed a very high end system to not have this sad circle of details (mesh/buildings/ trees) around your plane. surrounded by grey and green /blue soup.

It was really awful and totally took the life out of everything, even though my system was better than average.

When I first saw fs2020 I was happy to see that this limitation was no longer visible. I really hope its not coming back via SU5.

Anybody noticed, that lightnings are back again?! In Europe get lightnings everywhere

What amazes me is how many parts of the sim broke. The issues are all over the place. If it was just the graphics I’d get it but why did the Longitude A/P no longer work? So weird.

1 Like

This hasn’t been fully fixed so it’s nothing new in SU5

I’ve been flying quite a lot before SU5 and I had no permanent lightnings everywhere

I did :wink: it may of gotten worse perhaps but like I said it’s never been properly fixed so it still needs attention.

*Let me rephrase: Ugly sky

totally agree i use this to experience the almost true flight sim to relax and watch the scenery go by and now it stresses me out iv not given up just yet but if the issues dont get fixed soon i will give up on the sim and never buy anything from Microsoft again.

Using 7gb of 32 ram

Delete your user.cfg in MSFS and let it make a new one.