Disappointed in Sim Update 5

Flight sims are to much of a niche hobby for the big players in the industry like Activision/Blizzard or EA. And even if one of them would do it, that sim would be riddled with microtransactions and as sure as there is an amen at the end of a prayer there will be a x-box / ps5 version of it.
Be careful what you’re asking for, you might be in for a rude awakening.

2 Likes

Thats pretty cool. If MSFS decides it wants to be tethered to the limitations of a console, in a few years they will be left in the dust when tech like this comes to the market for flight sims, games, software, etc.

1 Like

Please turn the temperature down on this thread.

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but it seems to be a tale of two updates.

Personally, I’m having a great experience with SU5. However, I’m deeply sympathetic to the anti-SU5 crowd.

I went from have 2+ CTDs PER DAY to having had only a single CTD since the release. I remember what the constant CTD and frustration were like. I remember the constant should I go back to XP11 thoughts. It’s frustrating, I get it.

I’m having a great experience. Sure, it’s not perfect - the ISA deviation / altitude variable issue. But I can actually use it now! That’s a big change.

I’m also aware that my experience is not what others are experiencing. Some people are having an atrocious time and I fully acknowledge their pain, especially after having paid for a product that doesn’t seem to work. Some people are experiencing CTD CTD CTD CTD CTD. I’ve experienced only one.

It would be helpful for the SU5 “for” and “against” crowd to stop using hyperbole and to recognize that our experience, even when reinforced through a confirmation bias echo chamber of like-minded people, may not be others’ experience.

I’m not going to make anyone “prove” that their sim is broken. I believe you and I hope your situation gets fixed soon.

It’s more helpful to provide explanatory information so that Asobo can do some root cause analysis and tease out why there are these two groups so that everyone can have a great experience in the future.

MSFS 1.18.14.0 MS Store
Alienware m5 r4
i7-10870H 2.2 GHz
32 GB RAM
RTX 3080 8 GB Laptop (150 W)
Nvidia Driver 471.41
Windows 10 21H1

Blue skies and tail winds,
Trex5365

I had loads of problems trying to update the SIM over the existing installation. I kept seeing crashes etc, so I bit the bullet and uninstalled the SIM via Microsoft Games and then deleted all the old msfs files that still remained! I the did a clean install from fresh. Premium Deluxe took 2 days to re-install including all the additional world updates etc. It was worth it though, the SIM now runs as smooth as butter.

Why clouds and all on horizon is so much brightness :confused:

Agree! That’s exactly what rubs me the wrong way.

That looks great! Hmm… unigine… dont think ive seen that before. Must do some research.

Another thing that I have always liked is Outerra/anteworld.
https://outerra.com/ Interesting to follow the development

This has not been their modus operandi in the past…just let everyone twist in the wind until they decide they want to do a hotfix or just have us wait until the next service update.

Is it sick? :wink:

Yes you would think that, but so far there is plenty of evidence that there isn’t any PR/Marketing/Senior Manager (with Customer Sense) (…just a bunch of software nerds/geniuses…. one might think if so inclined).

Such a big opportunity wasted … as if it wasn’t good business sense to keep a happy and loyal customer base. The means for proper communication are as simple and low cost as you described. I am sure Asobo knows best, regardless what I would do (it is their business afterall)

1 Like

All those screenshot are taken today. Look what is happen when You change time of the year. Maybe that’s why now all i so much bright :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is clouds on ultra FFS.

3 Likes

You summed it up pretty well. I wouldn’t hold my breath though.

1 Like

Because the clouds got dumbed down, and to hide it you overexpose.

9 Likes

No graphics degradation they said - that is clearly not the case! All for allowing some XBOX users who will likely lose interest in the simulator after a few weeks.

People say have patience but frankly it has been a year. Every update there are issues, and we are just expected to wait and either not use the sim at all or not to its full potential. I have never felt so ‘angry’ with a software update as I have now.

This is prime summer holiday season gaming and instead of enjoying a software which I have spent good money on, I am waiting on the forums to see any sign of official ASBO/MS communication!

8 Likes

I’ve seen the term conspiracy used to defend SU 5 but how can it be a conspiracy when you can see it with your own eyes it’s not a conspiracy it’s a fact, graphics worse, bugs worse, and ctd are now the norm at any time from anywhere.

Couple this with peripherals now no longer working or not as they did

A fact btw stated by Thrustmaster themselves that said as a result of SU5 they can no longer map as before.

Then we have the mouse interface that is now so clunky with the mouse moving irritatingly to top left for no reason and then not appearing at at all in game at times and being almost unusable as an instrument input device.

This is without even touching on missing items or pop ups or the awful clouds and reflections.

So I again what is this conspiracy then?

6 Likes

Please enjoy your Xbox game ported to PC.

5 Likes

Some people have good experiences (me).

Some people have very bad experiences.

People will not admit that others have a valid view on it.

I hope they fix it soon for the people whose simulators broke.

3 Likes

One of my biggest issues is the rendering of buildings. I like to fly low over villages. Now it seems that, instead of all the buildings being rendered in 3D, now only some or even none may be rendered fully.
Sometimes the buildings are plain blocks. Sometimes they are not rendered at all - flat pictures from Bing maps.

This is a small village that usually looks good. Note that I pre-downloaded the area to the manual cache so that internet bandwidth couldn’t be blamed.

Here, most of the place is just a flat bing map. No rendering of buildings.

I have many more examples that are destroying the immersion, as well as all the problems others have mentioned. Both the screenshots are ultra settings!

7 Likes

I don’t think people are throwing insults at Xbox users as much as insults that are intended towards MSFT for dumbing down the graphics to gain a few FPS improvement. Those with as you describe it “rather anemic system” have never seen the high quality graphics that PC’ers used to have. There is no way to describe what they did with the graphics other than they reduced the quality for to make a single program work on the xbox engine as well as PC’s and the PC users got the raw end of the deal in that trade, especially the users with systems that met or exceeded MSFT’s specs for Ultra Settings. Then, you introduce the massive numbers of reports of CTD’s for who knows what reason as there appears to be no single culprit for them

2 Likes