Disappointed in Sim Update 5

I guess they will fix it eventually, but it could take some time.

I’m disappointed too, and really hope we can get back to where we were. I’ve spent many hours in Blender and Photoshop fine-tuning models for my local city (Glasgow) and was getting ready to start on an airport project, but truthfully I’m feeling somewhat demotivated because of the drastic drop in default scenery quality. Here’s the River Clyde, before and after the update (ultra settings). The custom models are the same, of course, but to the sides you can see barren areas where there once were trees. The ground textures and some of the buildings have also taken a hit. I couldn’t get the lighting to match up very well, but you get the idea. Flying over the surrounding towns is disheartening - looks somewhat post-apocalyptic.

15 Likes

Couldn’t agree more it’s awful! and I believe they are concentrating on the Xbox version and not bothered about PC gamers otherwise why release such a terrible update, they must know surely!

3 Likes

Thats true xbox is where the Money ist and 2 different builds are to expensive for them…

great example of the state of update 5, thank you for sharing!

4 Likes

After the latest fiasco i do hope one of the other sims continues to improve. It would be good for the customer to have another option, if anything it would make certain people think before releasing garbage.

4 Likes

xp or p3d are still snoozing, they should instead take an urgent action to compete huge with a downgraded msfs with each update… a contract with google maps for instance, lockheed, at least, must have the power to do so.

1 Like

new ultra can only get us the previous medium quality, we must have an option to choose which build to go with, i’m sure most of us would love to revert back to before SU 5.

one year on, we have got a sim totally unplayable and unenjoyable… and that’s lame.

6 Likes

It looks like another “game”.

3 Likes

they wanted performance, so they killed trees

1 Like

Don’t use the mouse look or it will DC control lol

1 Like

Google isnt going to happen with XP, its not what Austin thinks is the correct way to do dynamic season based scenery. I dont even know how FS are going to do seasons with the Bing ground textures to be honest. Its going to look idiotic if they have leafless trees sitting on ground textures showing tree canopy’s in full summer foliage in mid winter.

Some of the comments re the upcoming fix concern me:

Volumetric Lighting is Missing – This was a shader bug and will be addressed in the upcoming hotfix
Low Resolution Ground Texture – This is a bug introduced when we fixed tree draw distance from high latitudes and will be addressed in the upcoming hotfix

My question: if these really are bugs then why wasn’t this caught in QA/QC testing? It’s not like these were lurking issues that needed significant customization to discover, these were issues encountered for almost everyone right out of the gate after applying SU5. While I am grateful that the issues are being addressed, there needs to be some kind of explanation as to why these issues were missed in the first place. Otherwise we have no choice but to conclude they weren’t bugs at all, but instead conscious choices made to help the Xbox rollout at the expense of PC users. Please give us a reason to draw a different conclusion, even if it’s that the QA/QC process is weak and needs to be strengthened?

7 Likes

I did not find a reasonable answer since almost year to your very legitimate questions. If you or anyone else do, please let me know. …

1 Like

Well said Jojoe. My problem is that the download keeps restarting. Can’t play game bc cant get by mandatory update. Cleared download cache in Steam, un/ reinstalled FS download but keeps crashing/ restarting about 15.5 MB in? Anyone else having this problem?

1 Like

Tt won’t change, it’s the agile method of development which imo is terrible for developing a platform like this.
The bulk of agile is develop as fast as you can, break things and fix them later. They had a deadline to meet and chose a hard date over quality. This happens a lot in Agile and product gets released in whatever state it’s in and then whatever the consumer yells about the loudest is what gets the attention first. They prioritize fixes based on this and sometimes move them around to fit other releases based on the time involvement of the fix or if they will call it an “enhancement” later instead.
I left a kushy corporate gig because the quality of what we were putting out after converting to Agile went down the tank. I refused to stamp my name on that stuff and this release method asobo and ms are doing reeks of Agile.

1 Like

Excellent points. I too am looking for honesty, as apposed to corporate gloss!

I just did a great deal of real world flying and to tell you the truth, the ground looked just like that outside my window except it was hazier. My experience in MSFS has just got better and better so I’m really having a hard time understanding all the complaints. I don’t have some super computer. My updates have all gone smoothly. I’m running Ultra settings, get no real stutters unless I have a glitch on my internet that affects every program. I have tons of freeware in my Community folder that I never clear out. Almost makes me think I’m doing something wrong to not have issues. People are obviously having problems. What we don’t know though is if this is widespread or it’s simply the ones upset that are the most vocal. I feel for the developers sorting through all of this.

Yes, the sim IS great, even now. BUT, it used to be so much better :wink: . This is the point.

1 Like

No, not in my case. I get that people that were involved in the Alpha or Beta programs might have had a better situation but there were hundreds of thousands less users hitting servers then.

In my case the sim was terrible when I first got it. It took forever to load, crashed constantly, flew at terrible frame rates and textures were melted in all the great cities I wanted to fly in. England looked like ■■■■. Most mountains were just lumps. As each update came along all it did was get better and better so you can imagine my confusion seeing all these comments that it has got worse.