Discussion: April 1st, 2021 Development Update

@Jummivana
Thank you for the massive refresh of the VR feedback snapshot.

Please note the following correlations though:

Bug (problem) Wishes (solution)
4. VR-Overexposed 3. Provide Color Space, Tone Mapping etc…
4. VR-Overexposed 6. Can you please add a “Sun Glasses” mode
4. VR-Overexposed 6. Implement a Metering System Better Suited for VR
9. Ambient Night Lighting Illuminates more than Full Moon 6. Implement a Metering System Better Suited for VR
10. VR Mouse - Right Eye needs to be fixed 8. Dominent Eye and Mouse Cursor Position

In addition, I’d like to pass these comments because some of the bugs and wishes are technically less complex and most likely easier to solve and implement more rapidly than what the snapshot is indicating:

Bug Comment
1. Increase Distance Threshold to See Aircraft Lights This was increased for 3D mode previously, it might just be the threshold value have not been propagated back in the VR pixel shaders and/or VR code. I understand 2021-22 is conservative but this doesn’t look like a very complex fix either?!
7. Propellers and Reprojection There are mods already for most aircraft and the solution to this is to make sure the alpha value in the texture doesn’t go above a certain threshold. It seems 25% alpha is working but this should be easy to try out with a set of textures with varying alpha, and establish which threshold is working with WMR, with SteamVR and with Oculus.
Wishes Comment
2. Cockpit Size and World Scale in VR It is basically setting up a translation matrix based on a UI slider, and then do a matrix mul per eye… nothing more.
6. Can you please add a “Sun Glasses” mode It is basically reducing exposure in the existing Tone Mapper by 1 or 2 stops… nothing more either. (no need for displaying a pair of glasses in 3D in front of the eyes for example)
13. Render Sun with Fading Disk when Bloom is Disabled In lieu of a reduced version of the Bloom shader which would be working only on the sun pixels (hard to separate this from the rest because the bloom is a whole screen shader), a simple Sun with blooming light texture overlay would probably give enough visually pleasing results.

I’d like to also mention this topic is both a bug and a wishlist item:

Wishes Comment
12. TAA is Transforming Road Traffic into Ghosts This is a bug because moving cars are not displaying as expected, but it is a Wishlist as well because it requires enhancing the TAA algorithm. If I were to be describing the process in “simple” terms, the result would look like computing the cars motion vector pixels separately and subtracting them from the overall scene motion vector pixels.
2 Likes