Discussion: February 25th, 2021 Development Update

Knew I’d heard this. In the Jan dev Q&A they said it looks like sim update 3 will be delayed a week - although that was not nailed on. However, subsequent to that, we had the further delay to world update 3 - so the chances of sim update 3 being on 4th March were pretty slim I would say. They either forgot to update the table for the last couple of updates, or didn’t want to update until tney knew when it was delayed to I suspect.

This thread has gotten almost as bad as the Doomgraters over at CDPR raging over CP2077 and the delay over 1.2. So bemusing.

FSUIPC works perfectly for me…

I hope that hot fix to flight model won’t be just dividing flap lift coefficient by 2, they probably intend to complete the flight model improvements, hence the required testing.

I also hope that they will gradually adapt their approach:

• launch beta program,
  • release patches only when ready and tested, without any pressure due to their Agile development approach or publicly announced dates
  • not release major patches on Friday, just before weekend, when the team will be off,
  • book time of the team in a week after the release to be ready to react with hot fixes on any bugs which still sneaked into the release, despite the testing and quality assurance.
4 Likes

You need to read the documentation more closely, because the Set command for a button also has a parameter field. In many cases, using the Set with a parameter of 0 turns something off in the sim, whereas a Set with a 1 parameter turns it on. And for functions that have a Set command, there are often other commands to specifically turn it on, turn it off, or toggle it.

There is also somewhat complex (while still simple) combinatorial button setting logic if you modify the INI file, and there is a very advanced level for programmers to code extremely complex behaviors in LUA.

1 Like

On my 2- or 3-way switches (hotas warthog) it won’t work properly. Set commands don’t work - toggle commands are fine: ie: had in sim setting for nav lights on a 2 way switch called nav lights set. If i use this in fsuipc, the on position will turn nav lights off, and the off position does nothing :yawning_face:

edit: yeah okay i had to add a parameter for button release, that was not clear first, its hard to understand the docu if your english is like ■■■■ ^^

Everyone really should have expected Sim Update 3 to get pushed back some more. Its original release date was pushed back 1 week a couple of weeks back due to the initial 1 week delay for World Update 3.

Then WU3 got delayed another 10 days without SU3 getting pushed back (officially). We had to expect this was going to happen. I’m not surprised and no one else should be either.

Where I am surprised is that they’re doing a hot fix after adamantly saying there wouldn’t be one. This really should have happened in the days after the error was caught, but better late than never.

Seems that they listened…

It may have been due to 3rd party aircraft devs complaining that their planes were now broken (again) than it was to appease the community. The fix for standard edition planes was pretty easy. DRM locked planes are another story. All 3rd party planes were affected and unfixable by the end user or modders.

I know the Mooney and Seminole were pretty much impossible to “safely” land with this bug. I’m sure all the other 3rd party planes were equally affected. After the fiasco with the sim hopelessly breaking 3rd party planes for a 2+ months back in the fall, I’m guessing this is being done to prevent a repeat of that situation and keep their vendor partners happy.

2 Likes

I like all the points you made in the post I quoted. They are well thought out, constructive, and seem to indicate you have some software development experience – or at least intimate knowledge of it.

As to the “hot fix”, in software that term technically refers to a code patch that can be applied to a running system. It is a code thing, but this community uses the term to include changing the aircraft config files. They also inappropriately increase the scope of a hot fix to wishfully include wide-spread changes. That would be an update, not a hot fix.

Speaking of changing the code, there are several problems with them “hot-fixing” the flap issue.
Maybe the most important might be that now that most mods have applied the recommended workaround to their plane’s config files, if Asobo changes the code back to what it was, then the mods will be broken and have to be fixed again. This does not seem reasonable considering they are going to release a major update to the flight model in a couple of weeks.

So what I think they may release next week as a “hot fix”, is maybe at most some early enhancements like drag behavior, but they may leave the flaps behavior as is for now so no mods are broken. They could tweak the premium and default aircraft config files, and eliminate that complaint. The enhanced drag behavior could be tied to new parameters in the config files.

This approach would give us all planes flying as good – or as bad in my opinion – as before WU3. It would also give them more time to develop and test Sim Update 3 while mollifying the community.

Yes, why NOT stick to plan A Asobo? I believe they are making it seem like this is in response to the community but most likely it is because they were behind anyway and this is a convenient out and some opportunistic public relations.

1 Like

I want to clarify something that many of you may not know. In large-scale software development, there is a role called Product Manager. This is the person(s) you should be hating on. In most companies, a Product Manager would be working with Marketing and the existing and targeted user base to gather feedback, test new ideas and designs, determine priorities, and handle / supervise all – except sometimes support – communications between the users and production. It would be a Product Manager who decided to communicate through the road maps, create a voting system, determine the priorities, choose the way to say things – and/or the way to NOT say things. A Product Manager would usually consult with Production to investigate and decide on any major issues and how and when to address them. Hot fix? Product Manager decision since it affects the eco-system, not just the simmers themselves.

A large portion of the criticism and negativity I see is inappropriately directed toward the “devs” and Project Managers. “Devs” – the guys that assigned a feature, functionality, or interface and actually code it, have very little say in what and when things get done. Project Managers are similarly hamstrung because they live in a world where time is measured in weeks, months, and years. Any change in deadlines requires reallocation of resources. Any QA issue must be cycled back into the project for investigation, resolution, and retesting. This stuff moves at a glacial pace.

So I would suggest a little more sympathy, courtesy, and respect for the “Devs”, Project Leads, Designers, and Project Managers. And for the mods and Community Manager in this forum.

Hate all you want on the Product Manager. They usually work for Marketing, who if they’re any good, paint an amazingly attractive picture of something us engineers and project managers cannot hope to ever completely or satisfactorily achieve. But while you hate, remember that something like this sim would never have even been started without good Marketing and Product Management.

This is the way the software world works when you’re talking about something on this scale and inventiveness. It’s still very new and is already pretty good. Imagine what it will be two years from now!

4 Likes

All I have to say is… some of you are really impossible to make happy. So, they make a mistake and a huge bug gets into the release. In the past, the criticism was “we just want them to own it and acknowledge it”… They go and own and acknowledge it, saying it will be fixed next time, but here’s a workaround. Then there is criticism of “why not release a hotfix???” (understandable one), so they talk and decide to release a hotfix. Now the criticism is “how come they are releasing the hotfix so late/delaying the SU3???” There really is NO pleasing some of you. No matter what these guys do, they will be put to fire and flames. I really do feel for the team. This is really a no-win situation.

8 Likes

I haven’t seen one since the update, just saying.

The complaining here is incredible, they are just people like you and me trying to make this sim as good as possible and the updates have been coming fast and furious, I’m still thoroughly enjoying it. the sim is not unplayable… if the flap issue is causing you to freak out just pretend your landing in a hurricane for a week haha, fly the plane! Everything is getting fixed, there is lots of progress, CRJ is almost here! So many good things!

Let them work, provide construction criticism and stop being so crazy.

3 Likes

THIS^^^

This is EXACTLY why software companies – and just about any business or government agency – are not “transparent”.

This forum could be very valuable to Microsoft and Asobo, but in its current state, I don’t see how it contributes anything meaningful. The signal-to-noise ratio is abysmally small. Good grief. I’ve been infected. Sorry for my slip into hyperbole!

5 Likes

Man… I am reading all these things and the grilling these guys are getting EVERY SINGLE DAY and I am trying to put myself in a position of Jorg or anyone else that’s managing this thing and it’s really tough.

If I were there, there would be two drastic changes:

1. I’d adapt Lockheed Martin’s policy - I am not gonna tell them a ■■■■ thing. When the update is ready, they will know. Maybe a day or two ahead of release. Tried to communicate openly. Didn’t work. OK fine… I could just not say anything and things are done when they are done.
  2. I’d start working on developing a drinking problem. Ha! :crazy_face:
2 Likes

I’ve been an ardent critic of many of the decisions Asobo and Microsoft have collectively made, but I know a good decision when I see one.

Good to see a hotfix is being released - even if it took a lot of pressure to get them to see the light.

They could change it? I played a f2p game that had their team staying overnight after every patch release watching for issues and having fixes ready in hours or during the weekend at worst.

I agree with you. My point was simply that they are taking advantage of an opportunity to spin a delay by acting like it is for a demanded hotfix. I am not hating on anyone, as a matter of fact the defenders of Asobo league are more upset about others responses and complaints than I am about the delays, hahaha. But this is a place of discussion, and everyone may not always agree. Acting like Asobo has no faults in this though and no complaint is ever valid is a bit silly and there certainly can be communication improvements that would drastically reduce the frustration. And, I don’t have to have any more empathy for them than they have for me…many of us have tough jobs but are still expected to deal with it. And, due to Asobos commitment and the continuation of community pressure, everyone will have a better sim in the coming years.

2 Likes