Discussion: November 19th, 2020 Development Update

Yeah well i hope you enjoy paying for the same aircraft you got in fs2004 and fsx just with the same or a higher price tag they have no loyalty to the customer base at all. i rather pay for half baked aircraft for a lot less, if i’m paying more i want something new i’m enjoying the sim planes and some paid Ga planes for a lot cheaper $100+ is not worth it for any level of computer plane lol

So, are the people complaining about “grainy” clouds using 4K?

I’m a pilot, I use 4K on a 55" LG UN557300, I just flew an IFR mission yesterday through the clouds, then reset them to be scattered on the way home, and by that mean, I was flying just under and around the scattered level at 3000 - 6000 ft. Flying through the clouds was great for me, pretty much what it looks like to me when I fly, and I didn’t have any issue with them. Granted, I was more worried about flying, especially in the turbulent air when flying through the rain and clouds IFR and I wasn’t getting out my microscope and looking at the clouds with a critical viewpoint, but, overall, the experience was very real to me, and I didn’t notice any graininess…

I will look for that in the future (and maybe won’t be able to unsee it after that, haha), but, really, just wondering if you’re all using 4K monitors, or is this a 1920 x 1080 kind of issue?

3 Likes

So, basically, you’re saying the voting system doesn’t work for you. That, basically, your opinion and desires are not the same as the majority.

I’m sorry you’re upset that you don’t feel like your needs are being met.

I think we all have to accept that

1. Asobo has a requirement from their investors to create something that will sell best, and will even more importantly demonstrate some very important technologies that are critical for Microsoft’s future.
  2. From what I can tell, Asobo also develops from the heart and have said many times that they see their most important job is:
    A. develop something that is fun and easy to pick up for the masses
    B. develop a platform from which great things can be developed
    C. They call the game Flight Simulator, not Flight Game, and that is where their heart is.

I totally trust they are doing their best, and I understand the job they have in front of them, and in my opinion, based on what I see and my understanding of what it takes to develop a product, it’s going to take about 2 years for the software to get really awesome. Maybe they’ll beat my estimation, that would be great.

7 Likes

I am completely with you.
Recently I played Tom Clancy’s HAWX and Ace Combat again.
Even, if MSFS is far from being realistic, there is a huge difference between these arcade games and MSFS.
The thing is, playing this flight “simulator” is just enjoying your time - no more, no less.
I don’t understand the bashing in each thread and every fs community all the time.
If there is a product on the market, that already fulfills your requirements, e.g. X-Plane, then why playing MSFS?

1 Like

For me, clouds are very grainy on my 1440p monitor playing at high/ultra settings. Playing at 1440p and render scaling set to 100.

If I plug into my 4k tv and choose 1080p with everything maxed it looks downright fantastic. Maybe render scaling set to 200 rather than 100 makes the difference.

I forgot to take into account these items from the wishlist:

So all in all, lighting seems to mean much for many.

1 Like

Hi @StewyMacaroon80,
Have you looked into your monitor settings? I too had grain on clouds and reflections - was almost like a CRT monitor. My monitor has 4 gaming profiles. One of the 4 corrected most of the grain. After I selected that profile, I then modified it to get the results that looked best. Worth a look to see what settings are in your monitor.

The voting system is flawed. It only shows what one half of the community wants. Without the option of a down vote, nobody, not even Asobo, can see what people really think of an issue. Down voting would give an instant snapshot of where the community stands. Is an issue unanimously wanted? Is an issue split down the middle? Do more people not care about a raised issue?

Give us a down vote!

2 Likes

I agree with also counting down-votes… That’s a good idea.

But we all have to understand the voting system is only a small portion of how Asobo chooses what to work on. As they’ve said themselves, there is the aspect of complexity of a problem, what they believe is best for the simulator, which, as authors, is there prerogative, the mandates they were given at the start, and an understanding of history of sim as well. Not to mention we are but a tiny slice of their customer base.

But down-voting ability is an excellent idea.

Have you tried turning off the sharpening in the userconfig.opt file? It’s turned on by default (a poor decision imo), and it makes the graininess more prominent. Open the file in a text editor, it’s located in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\ (at least that’s where it’s located when using MSFS on Steam, no idea whether or not it’s in the same place with the MS Store version)

Then you just have to find the rows containing “Sharpen = 1” and set it to 0. Note that there are two occurrences of this setting (one for normal mode, one for VR), so make sure to change it everywhere.

While you’re at it, I highly recommend to also set Fringe = 0 - that’s responsible for the chromatic aberration (coloured edges) in the hangar.

Did you get this tweak to work again now? If yes that’s great news.

1 Like

Yep, not sure why I had problems with it though. Maybe I changed the wrong file without noticing, before buying the Steam version of MSFS I installed it using the $1 gamepass promotion…

Edit: or it had something to do with re-installing the graphics driver, who knows… I don’t remember whether the userconfig.opt is in the same location for Steam and MS Store.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s good to know. I wouldn’t touch the graphics settings at all due to fear of those effects getting enabled permanently. Glad you managed to fix it.

Update!!!

Downloading now - about 950 MB

12.75 GB in game to update

It’s doing the usual issue for me. Forces me to update in the Store and then starts FS2020 to update but loops on the first file. Solution: shut down with task manager and relaunch the sim as admin. The update is then proceeds OK.

I wish it would download the whole patch and unpack later. And maybe improve the servers? 20-30 minutes for 13GB update is ridiculous.

note you HAVE to then manually go to the marketplace to add the USA pack, just like with the JAPAN pack…

This is another 4GB of downloads.

Please use the new topic to discuss the latest update

1 Like