Discussion: Patch Version 1.14.6.0

These patches that keep nerfing the visuals of the sim in order to solve the performance problems they created in previous updates are completely unacceptable.

When I first got the sim, I was blown away, it looked superb, trees, and buildings, and textures at detail from a distance, trees as far away as I could see (with a fix downloaded), every flight was a wow moment. Then performance issues started coming in and people started complaining. Now I don’t get any wows it just doesn’t look anywhere near as good, trees only round the airplane, buildings just look like blocks, and the larger buildings stick out so much as grey blocks until you get close, the textures in the distance look all blurred.

OK great I now get 60+ fps everywhere, but I don’t want 60+ fps, I want the sim to look as good as it used to, and I want to be able to alter my settings to make it look amazing as long as I have 30 fps. I have everything on ULTRA and it just isn’t as good as it used to be, the visuals have absolutely been nerfed to give people more performance. Not acceptable in my opinion, feels like I’ve wasted so much money now and could have stuck with previous sims, the only thing msfs did better than those is visuals, and that is just getting worse and worse with every update. So disappointing.

3 Likes

This is why I am using this driver:

(63) BEST NVIDIA DRIVER FOR VR? LET’S SETTLE THIS! - YouTube

I can’t say I have noticed any difference subjectively but I haven’t looked at fps in detail yet - so I’m just using this driver to see if the claim that it gives best performance in VR works for me.

My biggest problem which I still have despite a full 150GB reinstall the other day is long pauses. FPS is generally fine 30+ in central London cached with Orbx London pack, 60 fps in Scottish highlands. But every so often it just freezes for up to a minute. Does this in the menus too. Have posted on multiple threads and nobody has posted to say they have this problem. I have no idea how to fix it. People are talking about 64GB being optimal if your CPU is quick enough (I have i9-9900k o/cd to 5.2 GHz) but I really don’t know if that would help.

Still 100% GPU usage in the Menu’s

Which is dumb and horrible.

Yep I get that. And freezes (see my post above)

:rofl: no.Maybe it’s gone now

1 Like

Think there is a settings problem. 9900k is still a very capable cpu, much more potent than my outdated 8600k (4.9Ghz all core @ 1.175V, around 54 degrees Celsius under load). Anyway I can run all fine in VR/G2 with OXR100/TAA100 TLOD200, OLOD100, settings medium to ultra with about 24fps in airliners, 27fps in GA and around 30pfs with small aircraft without glass cockpits.

Comparable CPU’s (cores/threads/speed) should give almost equal results, maybe a frame more or less but no significant differences.

Of course I agree that Zen based CPU’s will probably get some advantages in the wake of the xbox port. We must see what this brings in practise.

Note to mention that I tried team red and for my life, I am healed. Good for benchmarks and heavy workload (CAD/3D Animation) but here, in the real world, we talk about unnoticeable differences. So if you sometime decide to throw away your 9900k don’t hesitate to send me a pm :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ll let you know. Though one thing that annoys me about Intel is the way they keep changing the sockets, though usually when I do a CPU upgrade I change the mobo to but it would be nice to have the option not to have to :slight_smile:

Wow with that rig you must be a bit ■■■■■■:(

After updating I had two CTDs before even getting into a flight. First time it occurred while MSFS was starting up after the update. After an update, I like to exit and restart. Then the second crash was about 5 minutes after starting up. I was not getting any CTDs before this update.

Update: After rebooting my PC, it’s running well now with no CTDs. I don’t reboot often so probably needed it. I’ve noticed a slight increase of FPS from lower 30s to mid 30s.

Looks incredible. Great job.

Be sure to throw up a BIG link to the build videos when you put them up!

I agree with that! I tried to downgrade from the latest Nvidia drivers to 457.30 with my 3090. It from fluid to really stuttering. Really bad

Most of the flight looked very stuttery to me, with a few really big stutters.
Certainly not “smooth” :frowning:

But the Home Cockpit is very impressive … I certainly am green with “cockpit envy” !!

1 Like

I am getting a lot of CTDs with this patch, is this known?

3 Likes

That totally sounds like assets loading. Either from disc or remotely streamed from servers.

CPU and GPU waiting to do something as you approach an airport with lots of ground assets…

Have you tried reducing amount of ground traffic? Vehicles etc?

It’s called “The xbox effect”.

3 Likes

wow… i purchased my computer and MSFS right after WU3. So when i read all the complaints about performance i was like… meh… it is working for me. 25-30FPS… guess that is the best i will get. BUT WOW!! after this patch i am now at 60 FPS and my computer is barely using its resources or more importantly, resources are being use appropriately. i still see some are having trouble with the patch, which is a bummer, but wow… i can’t believe the performance i am getting and if WU4 sets up back, i will be one of the first to post to get it fixed.

How?

I can’t get above 10-15fps around London…

which is your pc spec? 10-15 fps even with GA aircraft?

Me too

With any aircraft.

1080ti ftw3
i7-10700k
32gb 3200
ssd

Performance was great before SU3