Discussion + Poll: RENO

Welcome on the RENO discussion thread! In here, let’s talk about your experience of RENO, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
RENO Air races mode is part of the update 1.21.13.0 - The discussion thread is available here.

More information here.

:bulb: Along with your answers to surveys below, please provide further explanation in comments to help us identifying areas of improvement. :bulb:

Poll Questions

Feel free to answer these poll questions after you download and experience the new update.

Please rate the degree to which you agree or disagree with each of the following statements - Rules are easy to understand:
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Unable to judge
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree

0 voters

Please rate the degree to which you agree or disagree with each of the following statements - Multiplayer feels right and accurate:
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Unable to judge
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree

0 voters

Please rate the degree to which you agree or disagree with each of the following statements - It’s easy to find and start a race:
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Unable to judge
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree

0 voters

Please rate the degree to which you agree or disagree with each of the following statements - I’m satisfied with the number of aircraft available
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Unable to judge
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree

0 voters

Please rate the degree to which you agree or disagree with each of the following statements - The Gameplay is fun and challenging:
  • Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Unable to judge
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree

0 voters

This discussion thread is dedicated to the RENO mode.
:left_speech_bubble: Other topics can be discussed the GOTY Discussion thread
:warning: Please use the Online Services & Activities section to report a bug specific to RENO
:small_airplane: Have fun!

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find out about Known Issues

Click the link titled “Known Issues” in the hamburger menu, which is opened by clicking the button next to your profile picture on the navbar.

This page will be updated within a few days to reflect the latest patch.

How do I see my current version number?

Press Alt+Enter to change the program from full screen to windowed mode. The version number is at the top title bar of the window. Additionally, the version number is displayed by holding down Alt+Tab (above the window icon) or available in-game by clicking on your gamer tag profile icon from the top right of the main screen. The version name is displayed in the dialogue box under your gamer tag

Do I need to do anything with add-ons in the community folder?

We highly recommended that you move the content from your community folder to a temporary location on your hard drive before applying the patch and replacing after testing the new version.

Note the size of the update depends on the version of the game you have purchased. Don’t be alarmed if the update is smaller or larger

Why were certain bugs or issues not included in the patch notes?

The patch notes don’t mention everything that has been updated. If you are still experiencing an issue then file a ticket on Zendesk , using the “Submit a Request” option on the top menu bar. Include as much detail as possible, including the version of the game you are running. Remember the forums are not the official platform for bug tracking.

This patch is part of an ongoing patch release, so if your issue isn’t patched this time it does not mean it won’t ever get fixed! Check out the #self-service:bugs-issues category to see if others are reporting the same issues (where you can also vote if you have the same issue)

The Known Issues page will be updated within a few days to reflect the updated bugs.

How do I see my FPS?

Windows 10 has a built-in FPS counter in the Xbox Game Bar app. To use the FPS counter over your game, there are a few one-time steps you might need to take.

Important! You’ll need Xbox Game Bar version 3.34.11002.0 or later to use the FPS counter.

1. Press Windows logo key Win + G to open Game Bar, then select Widget menu > Performance.
  2. Choose the FPS tab, then press Request access.
  3. Follow the prompts, then restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
    When you launch a game, the FPS counter will be ready and waiting in Xbox Game Bar.

What should I do if the update doesn’t start automatically?

1. Check Windows 10 for updates. If any, restart your PC
  2. Manually check MS Store for Updates
  3. Then update MSFS

If this still doesn’t work, the best course of action is to log out, restart your computer, and log back in.

What should I do if the update seems to stall or stop downloading?

The first thing to try is closing down MSFS and restarting it. The downloading should start again once MSFS is restarted. If there are problems with a particular file downloading repeatedly (on a loop) then exit MSFS and browse to the download location where the file is downloading to using windows explorer. Delete the offending file (if it is listed) or the latest downloaded file in that folder and then restart MSFS. The patch should continue as normal. (Note only delete files do not delete folders!)

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

4 Likes

I’d like to know how the planes fly in regular free flight and how detailed (or not) systems are modelled. I did take part in the beta test but you could only fly in the races and also the planes were still beta with missing bits here and there. Also what differences there are between the planes in the same category in the full edition. I did have a look at the screenshots of some of the individually sold P-51s in the marketplace and the cockpits were quite different which is nice to see but I’d like to know more about other differences as well.

3 Likes

I’m not really interested in the racing, but I might pick up the base expansion for the 4 planes for free flying. Are they equipped with fully functioning autopilots for longer flights though? I haven’t been able to find a lot of images of the cockpits so far.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything really about air racing, but since I like racing games in general, I thought to give it a go…and it was a blast!

Tried time trial with the T-6 just to get familiar with the concept and it was fun to chase a better time, so good to have that as an option! But the most fun was to do an actual race! Tried out the Jet class and it was difficult (in a good way!), the sense of speed was awesome! After taking pole in qualification thing went downhill in the race, ended up second out of three planes.

The whole concept felt really well-thought, really liked the presentation (menues, music, speaker etc) and I found a race quickly. Was afraid my average PC would be a problem but nope, was smooth and no lag at all.

Gonna do plenty of more of Reno and I think there is potential to improve it even further with private matches, spectator mode etc (things Jorg also mentioned that they at some point would like to do).

3 Likes

I would like the ability to race against AI at various difficulty levels to practice, rather than just a time trial by myself.

5 Likes

Please remove the camera movement in the “cutscenes” when playing in VR, the side or back movement induces motion sickness.
Also the waiting in qualifying is strange, because you do not know what is going on or if the whole thing is stuck, somekind of indication of that it is not frozen would be good, like a blinking animation and explanation that it might seem frozen, but it isnt’t.

The races seem to be fun, although in VR it gets to your neck, you try to move your head up all the time and the shaky cockpit perspective adds to the stress, but I guess that is realistic.

I am not sure how long this will be fun though.

Hey @Maelmoor,

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Reno Air Races! If you want to learn more about the real life Reno event and the different Reno planes you can fly in MSFS, we recently posted a few articles on our website. See the links below:

1 Like

What are the file sizes of the £8.40 (each airplane) ,£16 (expansion) and £50 (full pack)?
Could not find this info on marketplace and its important for those of us with limited pc didc storage.

The full 40 plane pack was about 9.6 GB for me in the content manager.

Well I generally don’t enjoy racing around in circles in ANY simulation. Turns out this was no different. Going around in endless circles over the same old terrain hoping to shave off seconds is kind of boring.

That said. Im happy to have purchased the full set of all these beautiful planes with many extremely cool liveries ! Thumbs up for me.

I just wish they would spend this much effort on a study level airliner. I’d pay bucks for that.

1 Like

I’m enjoying RENO in VR. But the HUD is displaying right in front of my face. How can I move it or get rid of it? At the moment I have to fly leaning out the side of the cockpit!

just 2 more cents since I went back and played it a little more and raced all the planes:

first, it is more fun than i thought…BUT…
you have to remove the qualification stage. I can’t stress what a huge buzzkill it is to have to wait through all those load screens and animations to just have to do a lap alone to qualify. just RANDOMIZE placement.

There’s only like 2-4 people in ANY of my races at the moment. It might be more fun for me if they were full.

I personally think there are way too many laps. I don’t care if it’s realistic (its not realistic to get to keep racing after you crash either) I’m bored after the 3-4th lap…it’s already clear who is going to win by that point. Maybe this wouldn’t be an issue if the races were full I don’t know. Like I said, it’s usually like 2-3 people in my races including myself.

AND i just read you can’t open/close the canopies on any of the planes I bought. That’s a bummer and have to deduct one point for that. I mean this IS a simulation. If you play other simulations you can almost always open and close those things.

1 Like

Thanks very much.Thought it would be bigger than that.

I am sorry but this does not at all answer our questions:
What major modifications are done to each aircraft? Which aircraft is still stock / what aircraft are included in the base pack? What are the specs (cruise speed, range) or each aircraft? Which aircraft have autopilot?
Thanks.

Why can’t I see the race tower and pylons? The ads all show crowded stadium seats too - where is all the life? Can’t I just go to Reno and have some free flight fun just for practice?

2 Likes

I bought the package for 19,99 EUR with four planes and I like them.
Well worth it.

I have no particular interest in the race itself though. I just use the planes normally in the sim.

1 Like

Totally agree with all your points. I’ve only tried a few Reno races and my immediate reaction was its way too long. By the 6th lap I thought it was just becoming a chore. They should be shorter and snappier. I guess they made them longer to counter act the fact you have to sit in lobbies and loading screens too long. That to me seems like it might be the killer of this anyway.

I thought the racing was fun, and clearly even more fun if you get good at it, but perhaps just not quite fun enough to bother sitting in the lobby and loading screens for. And you really need full races for it to be fun. Racing with just 3 or 4 other planes doesn’t inject that frantic experience racing games need.

My hunch is this will sadly die quite quickly. The problem is fun though it may be there’s a ton of other stuff people would rather be doing in the sim. Asobo should have made private lobbies work right from the start with Reno because if it does have a future it’ll be with small groups of devoted air racing fans who want to race together.

2 Likes

I rekindled my flying because of this added feature. I am sure that after a week and more people play and get familiar with the race track layout and flying the pattern with the different planes … more people will fill in the lobby …

For now, I would advise the AT6 or Biplanes before jumping into the UNLIMITEDS … you got to crawL BEFORE YOU FLY Fast! …

1 Like