Discussion + Poll: Sim Update 10 (1.27.21.0)

Last night I finally tried for a few minutes SU10 and here is my personal experience on performance for now:

DX12 Beta made me say WOW! I was amazed by the smoothness, in DX11 I always get some micro stutters and the experience wasn’t and is still not perfectly smooth at all. It is random and specially when I pan my head to the left or to the right the stutters are always present.

From the other side DX12 is so smooth and stable visually and finally!
I also tried DLSS Quality + AMD sharpening at 150: Always smooth and I gain a few frames. I don’t know if I am going to use it in 2D mode, maybe in VR which I am going to try this weekend with calm.

My specs are:

3080 RTX
Ryzen 5950X
128GB ram
10Gbps Fiber Internet Connection
All drives NVMe

Thanks for now and finally after months of suffering I can see a better experience on flying.

found something interesting. sorry if that was mentioned before. guys, who have some problem with brightness of nxi1000 or tablet. or whatever virtual displays. just found in the cabin instrument light switcher or rotary and use it for give some light juice. or probably we have instrument light in controls, and can use some keys or buttons for that. i found it works in milviz porter. so i sure it’s have to works anywhere. by some reason they add mfd and tablets brightness to the instrument lights. i told you guys. they may be genius. but sometime do very strange things

Agree with you 100% - overall a good update with brilliantly smooth graphics on the Xbox series X - its a real pleasure to fly again, especially after the debacle that was SU9 and then WU9 - it’s really great to see the huge improvement.

But too many CTDs still - and third content marketplace scenery that causes them on Xbox is routinely being sold. So this does all still need to be fixed - but this is a good start and MS/Asobo deserve credit for working on these issues for us

3 Likes

First flight for a while on xbox series x, I left the beta today and then did a short flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh, it was great!
No stutters, no ctds.
The clouds do indeed look much improved, although there are still cloud layers that look a little apocalyptic looking, I think certain cloud layers look better than others.
A320 weather radar was working.
Even my approach into Edinburgh was good with a decent gap between the real time traffic behind me, not so good for them though as can be seen in the pic :laughing:, one day Im sure that will be fixed.

Anyway so far so good and a lot better than SU9, thanks and hopefully SU10 is a good base going forwards.

2 Likes

For those of you who are experiencing performance issues like stuttering and low fps by CPU mainthread overload try these settings:
Turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU scheduling in windows. This will transfer some workload from your CPU over to the GPU.
Also do not use DX12 until Nvidia releases their driver update.
And the last thing do not use DLSS. Set Anti Aliasing to TAA. If you are CPU limited DLSS will only degrade your performance.
This made wonders for me.
Good luck and happy flying!

2 Likes

I had this on first flight after install, didn’t happen after rebooting. DX11 both times. GTX1660, temperature fine.

With SU9 MSFS took about 5 minutes to load and now with SU10 it takes about 3

1 Like

Found under the Experimental tab under General Options. You can turn it on and off now.

I found loading times much improved. However, I did have the black screens in the HondaJet last night. Although, this is the most memory hungry plane I have (On XBOX). Going to attempt a flight in the A320 down to the south of France tonight so fingers crossed I will come away impressed with SU10.

The issue of HDR being broken was brought up early in the beta as well. An early patch fixed that for Xbox users, but not for PC. It was reported again and again. And here we are months later with the final release and HDR still doesn’t work. I personally don’t care about that feature per se, but goes to show that just because beta testers report something, that doesn’t mean they fix it. And makes me doubt I’ll participate in upcoming betas. I don’t play the “only tell us what we want to hear” game.

6 Likes

There is nothing available to date that my 3090 doesn’t run with maxed graphics. I rarely use VR in MSFS (I tried it in the first SU10 Beta version, and it ran it maxed in VR. So MO should make that the same) I am waiting for AMD’s CPU drops this fall. Saying Bye-bye to Intel, little performance gain with maximum heat gain.

There should be no visible difference. These are just different ways of accessing the hardware, which may perform differently as they balance CPU and GPU.

3 Likes

I see what you mean, yes. But somehow, it does not bother me that much. Maybe some people are more sensitive to that kind of behavior.

DX12 doesn’t change or improve graphics quality at all. That’s not what it does. DX12 allows more direct access to the bare metal hardware vs accessing through a software layer. When implemented properly, this reduces latency.

With DX12, the sim software can talk directly to the GPU without having to talk through the software API that goes through the CPU first. This alleviates the workload on the CPU. That’s why under DX12, people who were previously CPU (main thread) limited are now seeing themselves GPU limited instead.

DX12 also allows much more direct CPU thread management, and more optimized multithreading, making better use of extra cores and threads. Under DX12, you’ll find that your CPU is used much more effectively and more of its free resources are being leveraged than what DX11 is capable of.

8 Likes

Ghosting was reported during the Beta, marked as bug logged with almost 50 votes… and nothing. For me this is immersion breaking and unplayable because of. I’m done for now, Mechwarrior5, and Bannerlord calls

2 Likes

Hi guys,

I’ve updated my sim but now I’m getting this so I can’t load up the sim at all!

Somehow after pressing the button Fly, it greys out and the sims freezes. Before SU10 i never experience this kind of problem. How do i fix this and do you people faced this problem too?

1 Like

On Xbox Series X, the performance of the ‘vanilla’ sim really is superb now - for me, the best it’s ever been by some margin. It’s the standard of virtually flawless, consistent performance that I always hoped we would get from a console version. Flying over busy photogrammetry areas without so much as a stutter is a joy. Well done to the devs for getting it to this state, and thanks.

Having said that, it’s clear that memory related issues on Xbox are still causing too many crashes for some people. With the additional telemetry collected during the beta, and the comments in the most recent Q and A, I’m hopeful that this is being seen as a priority and look forward to further progress in SU11.

2 Likes

It happened to several people during the beta, see if this post can help you: ["Please insert the MSFS Game Disk" with beta only : Update: work around found - #232 by Trunte2019]

exactly. they disable context.xml and i guess they add auto exclude policy, that’s remove many problems as double terrain stutters. or double objects and conflict sea traffic, like was with hongkong-macau. so this 3 min loading is result of many tasty stuff