Discussion + Poll: Sim Update 9 (1.25.7.0)

Me too. Updated the g1000nxi from marketplace and had 3 CTDs inside of 30 minutes, all when pushing a button on the MFD, it would hang for a second and then CTD. May try un-installing the g1000nxi from content manager and using the stock 1000 and re-testing.

On the Xbox side, my sim feels like it has regressed. Once Iā€™m actually in the sim menu, the cursor lags, and eventually everything freezes. Then I get a little notification that the downloads have been completed. When I try to open the world map, it seemingly takes forever before the map opens up. Iā€™m half tempted to uninstall the game and then reinstall it to see if that fixes anything, but since Iā€™ve lost all my hours and everything else I had been doing in the sim, I donā€™t know what to do at this point.

2 Likes

If you have cores that are not busy then the OS is not going to schedule backblaze to run on the core that the busy main thread is running on, so the problem is not going to be pure compute capacity.

I donā€™t know windows internals but it strongly indicates that backblaze is increasing IO latency (which is to be expected since it needs to record write activity) and that the main thread itself is doing IO which is really something you want to keep well away from your compute intensive bottleneck thread.

I suppose the good news is there is plenty of room for better hardware utilisation with this sim, which would probably solve the performance problems. The concern is whether the architecture of the code and especially legacy code from FSX makes it feasible to implement this. One would think if it was easy theyā€™d have already solved it. Efficient multithreading of workloads can be really hard and itā€™s very important to get in place a design that supports this.

Mine shuts down on the loading screen before the blue progress bar finishes loading and sends me back to the xbox main menu screen. Cant do anything at all.

Hey there, @Heisenberg0549. Welcome to the forums. Very sorry to see you are having some difficulties, but there are many smart enthusiasts here that may be able to help.

Please check out the Code of Conduct and Terms of Service when you havce a moment to better understand the rules of the road here in the forums. There is also a Forum Guide where you can learn about the features available to you here. Again, welcome. I am hopeful you will find a solution soon.

2 Likes

unfortunately the overall forum is turning into a self help group. with simmers and devs seemingly struggling to get msfs2020 back up and running like last week

7 Likes

Yes, and I also turned off CPU hyperthreading in the Bios of my motherboard as that was something that I found to help smoothness of VR performance for MSFS with reducing studders as well. Even with all of this, I do still notice some slight studders here and there, more so than in SU8 and I appear to have lost some FPS overall across the board when using same plane, same conditions/location, same graphics settings, etc, etc. But at least itā€™s now flyable in VR without getting a headache from the strong studders I had when backblaze was silently running (despite it being totally off in the trayā€¦itā€™s irritating as I think most users think that turning something off means itā€™s off, and not partially still running and hard to find because the developer thought it was helpful to protect users from themselves)

1 Like

Also had frame drops from about 60FPS to 25 FPS. Massive stuttering in turns and frames went down to 12 FPS. CPU and GPU temperature are much lower than normal then. This did not appear on the outside view. With me it was due to the loaded GPS route with more than 300 waypoints. The following procedure helped me. I made a route with only 2 waypoints and loaded it. Then I started with the TBM-930. After the autopilot swung to the first waypoint, I pressed the ESC button, then the load button, then Load from PC. In the window that appears, I type ā€œStar Point Starā€ ( only the characters) in the name field. The saved routes become visible.
I choose the route with the 300 waypoints and open it. Then I click the continue button. The TBM 930 follows the GPS course, the frames are at 60 FPS as usual, also the temperature of CPU and GPU. The only downside is the waypoints are not visible in the MFD.

My specs: i9 10900K RTX 3080ti.

what I would like to know is when will we get an update to fix these issues, or is a case of waiting until next big update which will be pointless as that means we will be waiting weeks/months to play a game we purchased.

4 Likes

I laugh because when customers mistakenly had access to planes they did not purchase, the patch was done quickly overnight.

Butā€¦ if itā€™s just affecting customers and not MS/Asobo walletsā€¦ crickets, we go into a holding pattern. No communication, we are left to stew with a broken mess.

25 Likes

Wow, Drog, you nailed it with that post!

4 Likes

Iā€™m not knowledgeable about how software gets written so please understand this is not meant to criticize.

1. List item

My first question is why do some game features that arenā€™t broken in a previous version like SU8 get broken in a subsequent update like SU9?

1. List item

My second question, some of these broken features are immediately obvious upon game startupā€¦so how do they escape the eyes of the developers before release?

3 Likes

Can you say BINGO? lol how very true

4 Likes

This is so true :+1:

3 Likes

Fits right in with everything else in su9. #stutterfest2022

1 Like

always always always, this really need a hotfix pls

Unbenannt

And yet there are still a few around here who will lecture you about how it must all be your fault, you probably did something wrong, or my favorite ā€œthe XBOX just canā€™t handle MS Flight Simulatorā€, all because they just happened to get incredibly lucky with their particular situation (for the moment).

6 Likes

Update to SU9 issues [TBM930]:
The issues I was having in the TBM930, ctd after 10 -20 min. of flight and the GPU fan going into high speed for a few seconds every 5-10 minutes of flight have both been corrected by updating the Nvidia drivers to 512.15. The mouse pointer in VR was not contacting the buttons, sort of hovering several inches above is an issue with the aircraft-tbm930-improvement mod, when switched back to the vanilla TBM930 the issue was no longer present.
Also, I have an increase of about 3-5 FPS, very smooth flight.

1 Like

This is hands-down the least stable update yet, especially as a mod developerā€¦ I have to save after every single change made in the scenery editor because crashing is guaranteed in a very short period of time. Move an object? Crash. Click a box in the GUI? Crash. Try to type some text in a field? Crash. Add a point to a poly? Crashā€¦ There seems to be no rhyme or reason at this pointā€¦ Very frustrating considering how long it takes for the sim to start back up and to load your projectā€¦

3 Likes

Jumped into a VR session for the first time since SU9 was released and it was painful. The only difference this time around is that Iā€™m getting the same frame rate in pancake mode and VR, so I can certainly see a massive reduction in 2D performance. Very annoying :frowning:

2 Likes