Discussion + Poll: Sim Update V (1.18.13.0)

It’s a little weird to think we are now where we were a year ago in terms of fps however the LOD/Visuals have been absolutely crushed, still playable and somewhat enjoyable if you don’t mind the popping issue which can be a little annoying at times. The console was always the goal and we were all just testers for a year :slight_smile: I do hope the popping issue, mountain morphing, night-lighting and poor LOD are reworked at some point. A simmer can dream :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can turn off the PC after exiting the program and shutting Windows down. Some might take your advice as just power off the system which you never want to do. There’s lots of things in place to prevent data loss in case of power failure but you can cause data corruption and even force reinstallation of Windows and all applications if you power off at the wrong time.

Always exit programs and shut the system down. Never just power it off.

In my brief testing last night (after a nearly 8 hour ordeal to download the game update plus the Content Manager content, along with the attendant crashes), the Lock mode doesn’t even work, at all. The cockpit controls simply can’t be interacted with.

Worse, after going heads-down into the cockpit, sometimes my joystick throttle control stops working, despite having been working fine moments before.

Seriously, the UI “improvements” made in SU5 are terrible.

There’s some guidance on all this in the release notes. I think if you reset mouse to default and then back that fixes it maybe

1 Like

game/sim freezes when my xb1 controller disconnects (even with full battery), connected to pc wireless dongle… even at short range, I had to force close app then reopen app

I can land at Heathrow lag free now :slight_smile:

world map is much better now, I don’t know why it wasn’t like that last year

Can confirm, no cloud issue here, just the pop-ins are lame.

1 Like

Ryzen 7 3700X, 32Gb DDR4 - 3600, RTX 2080 Super.

I’m going to have a tinker over the next few days but first look is disappointing compared to the hype!

You have decent system then. Mine not as good as yours but I am seeing good increase in fps.

i5 7600k (oc 4.6)
48 gb RAM (oc)
2070 S (oc)
Samsung SSDs

Hope you get it sorted :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

Of course, you are correct. That is what I meant by turning of the PC and I can see why some might think it is ok just to switch of the machine by my comments… Thank you for pointing this out.

My only issue is the cloud reflections in the water are so low res even in ultra. They used to look so pretty.

1 Like

You got lucky if you just powered off your system while it was busy downloading and decompressing files. Just know that one day that can bite you. You should never shut down systems like that. Like I said, there are things in place like file system journaling and such, but it’s still bad form.

Is it underestimating people’s intelligence to remind them not to do what they just said they do? What you told people to do is really bad advice. I thought it was just semantics but apparently that’s how you roll. Good luck, boy.

None so far. I’m now downloading and reinstalling the entire thing from scratch.

• I cant do cold and dark with some planes ( etc. 747 )

• Cockpit interactions doesnt work for most of the planes (left mouse click / not a single switch working for 747 ) [I didnt test asobo a320]

• Stable release of FlyByWire A320 is broken and the tablet doesnt work.

• So much stutters and crashes in flight and in the menu.

• Scenery is constently reloading throughout the flight and it looks like draw distance is decreased significantly

• Scenery reloading problem cause significant stutters and fps drops throughout the flight

• Fps gain on FBW A320 is negligable

• Significantly increased performance on 747 and Asobo A320 (NOT FBW).

• Almost no fps gain for GA aircraft.

• Changing views between cockpit and external view causes scenery to reload instantly and causes significant stutters and fps drops.

• Particle effects (tire smoke) cause significant stutters while takeoff {yes takeoff}.

Hardware: i7-10870H , RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (130W) , 32GB memory, 1TB SSD , 1440P external monitor

MSFS settings: 110 render res , 1440p res , terrain details: 130 , objects level of detail: 140 , depth of field:OFF , motion blur:OFF , terrain shadow res:1024 , shadow res:2048 , rest is ultra (or highest availible)

No problem.

The blue progress bar here doesn’t move when it’s full

“Legacy” is what they’re referring to PC as now. Pretty strong “we only cared about xbox this update” vibes leaking out in the patch notes.

3 Likes

I start the update last night before bed. I woke up this morning and it was done. The first thing I did was go to the World Map to check out the new “satellite view” and I don’t see it. I zoom in and I still get that gray background I got before. I saw a youtube video of a zoom into JFK and you could see the satellite imagery of the ground and the whole airport and all the gates, etc. I don’t see it. It looks the same as it did before. Anyone else have the same issue? Is there a setting somewhere to turn that on?

1 Like

Is that A32NX? Kept CTD for me, even with no other mods.

Before Update V it took about 8 Minutes for the sim to load and start, and that with many many addons, Freeware and Payware. Now with an almost empty Community Folder 30 Minutes!!! That´s ridiculous!!

Nice improvement for me, really nice. For monitor session 1080p I changed my custom settings to the pre-defined ULTRA and then lowered shadow to 1024/512, removed blur, lowered depth of field to minimum, and that’s it.

I have 60fps everywhere, from mountains to big cities like Los Angeles, New York, SF, Paris, etc. never go below my vsync ON at 60fps, with airliner or small Cessna, and GPU usage never above 75%.

Some stutters when changing Camera view, not a sim-breaker, and 2 real bugs:
First fly I did yesterday and my trim axe was inverted. I went in settings and checked the little box to inverse its axe, all fine.
New fly I did today: the free look axe left and right was inverted, it wasn’t the case yesterday, so again, I went in settings to invert the axe.
So something fishy in new control settings which change from time to time some axe way without any reason (same controllers plugged as usual).

In summary I’m pretty happy with this update. The loading was a bit long, 2 hours the sim and 30min the updates of all 5 World Updates, but all went fine (Steam).

The CPU and GPU usages improvements is really magic. I hope DX12 will even afford more optimization, but for now I’m happy. Even in VR I can see a nice improvement. I raised my Render Scale from 70% to 80% without any hit (supersampling is at x1.7 in Oculus Debug Tool). In VR, turning ON ASW (retroprojection) was really stuttery yesterday, more than usual. But it’s something random from previous build, depending some factors I didn’t catch, and anyway I prefer to play 45fps ASW OFF, and like this it seems really smoother and GPU usage have been lowered.

Edit : forget to say : loading time in game are vastly improved, from menu to fly anywhere, really quicker, that’s welcome.