Discussion + Poll: World Update V (1.17.3.0)

No, people like to have the option of installing / removing world updates, depending on if they fly around that area or not.

1 Like

Over a certain altitude you cannot see it, as the LOD appears fixed at a lower value, and you don’t have to go very high to see that. You can actually see there are two distinct bands moving. Below is a still where I have tried to outline these:

Here is what it looks like when moving:

When you move away from the airport, and the town itself, you don’t see it any more. The hills to the North do not suffer that tiling pattern, regardless of altitude.

1 Like

and? so what? yes google data is bette\tr, but they go with bing.
this is not going to change.

Not sure they should bundle everything together though with the sizes of these things. Lots won’t install the scenery updates like nordic, UK, etc. Others may not care about bush flights or landing challenges.

They do need a better way to manage all the updates, though. Now I get launcher updates through Steam. Then I get main updates before the program starts. Then I have to go to the Content Manager to update stuff there. Then I have to go to the Marketplace to pull down new scenery. I had to work through updates and downloads in four separate places to complete yesterday’s update process. That really needs to be changed. They are probably losing users through the complexity of it all. Just the number of comments here where people miss one or more steps are telling.

FS2020 needs one location to manage updates. Items can be sorted individually but there needs to be a clear status of updates and all actions should be able to be completed in one place.

2 Likes

I will second that
spent some 4-5 hours trying to get this done
lot’s of trial and error on my part. Surely this process can be simplified for non tech-savvy simmers.

And then when you add the never ending Windoze 10 updates for some obscure security purpose it really is like a complicated puzzle to get back to flying!

1 Like

ok, found that other 3 GB downloading now

1 Like

I think it’s partly because they got stuck with that XBox / Windows App userinterface. It’s all so not Windows. Sluggish, buggy, incredibly GPU heavy (without apparent reason)
 probably all under pressure of XBox.

1 Like

Love the “Ylisto bridge” POI in JyvĂ€skylĂ€.

It’s quite a favorite holiday destination for Dutch people, in fact :rofl:
It a funny square island with great beaches.

Everything installed but still some strange colors at Arlanda.

I was seeing this while flying through some fjords last night. I would see pretty low res terrain and would see the LOD of the cliffs pop up as I was pretty much right on top of or beside them, much the way the Cliffs of Dover would spawn into existence after the UK update.

1 Like

I continued North, and didn’t see a single other occurrence. I passed over several airports, so I’m assuming there is something “special” about some airports. I headed NW, to this location:

Neither of these, or the entire promontory had that effect that BIRK did.

I’ve seen that behaviour in multiple parts of the world
 Russia, Asia
 really like FSX being exchanged for MSFS last minute. And some patches never get there. Mountains flat and dull with the other half of them looking alive.

I feel that’s mostly some kind of server related issue, where the stuff comes in too late? I can imagine that right after the update, too many people at once were flying there. But who’s to say

1 Like

This is a problem with a lot of POIs as well. It’s not a server load issue. Some POIs don’t appear until you’re literaly within 1/2 or less mile from them.

Yes, I’m not excluding deeper problems with this. I’ve seen airport buildings change when parked at the gate. Move closer and suddenly all kinds of objects jump on top of the roof
 move out a bit and they’re gone again.

They still have some work left

Their LOD definitely needs a lot of work. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a lot of polish in these areas once the Xbox / DX12 version gets released. In my experience, we may see simmers here being harsh and critical, but that’s nothing compared to drawing the ire of the gaming community. If they put out trash, they are going to get dragged through the mud publicly about it.

EDIT: When was the last time simmers launched a DDOS attack on Laminar or Lockheed because of a bad XP or P3D update? This ■■■■ happens all the time with other games though.

4 Likes

don’t worry the newly handcrafted one is not very different than that
 the ugliest of all, thus far.

the biggest challenge would be give the simmers an option for choosing google data instead, for map and PG coverage. Bing really sucks.

I’m just not sure if those hard core gamers are even interested in this?

But as I wrote before
 if you see what they’re planning for the XBox (new stuff), when the old stuff is still so buggy
 I think it’s gonna be a rough few months ahead. And indeed, if they do get a bundle of new XBoxers aboard, it might be even rougher.

Q: did anyone experience a 20% increase in FpS on low end hardware ? I switched on my FpS counter today and removed the 20 frames vsync cap
 I now have 22-24 in mountain landscapes
 after the previous update I had 16-17 on these locations. Very nice
 but I’m afraid any LOD-detail level above 100 adds little to quality

LOD-50

terrain LOD-100

terrain LOD-200 (same as terrain LOD-150)

Also, the sudden jumps in rendering quality when approaching the mountain seem to persist, also when you use LOD-200. I haven’t tried the .cfg tweak yet (put it on 400)

1 Like