Discussion + Poll: World Update VI (1.19.8.0)

I’m sorry… enjoy your happy corner. :wave:

• As for the general performance, I am positively surprised. After I set the new setting item “Offscreen Terrain Pre-Caching” to “ultra”, I can no longer notice any jolts when panning the camera. In general, I noticed a much smoother gameplay. The LOD has also been significantly improved. In addition, I can not find any clash with regard to the “Community folder”. All mods work perfectly.

• In addition, the photogrammetry has been significantly improved. It’s not perfect yet, but it’s much better than before. London and Paris looked terrible with the SU5. Since the WU6, the cities have largely become beautiful again (see screenshot).

• Errors occurred when loading the area on the final approach to Frankfurt (EDDF, see screenshot). I cannot say whether this was due to faulty photogrammetry or the Azure Cloud.

• Anti-Aliasing quality was a little bit improved for me, but still far away from perfect. It’s now somewhere between ‘okay’ and ‘good’…

• In addition, the clouds are still unchanged (ugly). With the SU4 these were graphically nicest! I couldn’t find any improvement here.

• I did some test flights. On the one hand with a “Daher TBM 930” (modified) from Munich (EDDM) to Frankfurt (EDDF) and to Stuttgart (EDDS) and on the other hand with a likewise modified “Cessna Citation Longitude” from Munich (EDDM) to St. Gallen / Altenrhein (LSZR).
    At the Stuttgart and St. Gallen / Altenrhein airports, newly introduced with the WU6, the autopilot followed the localizer (LOC) only unsatisfactorily on the final approach. In both cases I was too far to the right with the aircraft in flight direction, but according to the cockpit display I was perfectly on course. Means: I had to land the machines by hand. (… how terrible :rofl:)
    Everything went smoothly in the test flight from Munich to Frankfurt.

• In conclusion, I can say that I am more satisfied than dissatisfied. Nevertheless, the Microsoft / Asobo team still has a lot of work to do.

• Next up, I’m looking forward to the release of the Junkers Ju-52 expansion pack.

My PC-Specs are:

• Intel Core i7-11700K
  • NVidia GeForce RTX 3070
  • 32GB DDR4-3200MHz RAM
  • MSI Z590-A Pro Mainboard
  • via DP connected to a 2560x1440p (144Hz) LG display
  • installed on a 1TB M.2 SSD

I translate all of my texts with the Google translator, so errors cannot be ruled out.

5 Likes

You are probably fine and should let it finish the update, but ideally remove the mods before an update or loading a flight (exit first!). Then add them back, checking if they released an update. I could be wrong but minor scenery mods are normally fine, it’s more the aircraft mods.

1 Like

For anyone discussing night lighting…

1 Like

I agree with you. The sim is great. Running maxed out and its smooth as silk. Delighted. Well done Asobo!

Initial thoughts I think this is a good update, and certainly when compared with SU5. I am very glad that the pop in on head turn is significantly reduced. I run VR only, compared to SU4 I can run higher LOD levels at a reasonable frame rate. The maximum photogrammetry draw distance is also improved which is very nice. I think the general image quality may also improved somewhat compared to SU5 but need further flights to be sure.

Personally I have 32gb RAM and a 24gb 3090 so I would still like to see further utilisation of RAM and VRAM to improve performance further (it seems my sim slows down far before utilising more than 8-9gb of each, even at top settings, whereas SU4 would utilise almost all of it), but I recognise the vast majority of users have cards with 6-10gb RAM or less and for them I would think this is a very good update, allowing good user flexibility with the different LOD and cache settings :+1:

I would like to see the remaining issues brought by SU5 to be fixed soon, the most obvious ones for me are:
-aliasing and shimmering in VR
-broken water reflections in VR
-Overly bright image and autogen buildings too bright/reflective
-taxi signs/runway markers loading at very short range

3 Likes

Overall I’m rather impressed by this update. Performance is good. Visuals look better than with SU5. Austrian and Swiss Alps also look much much better, and I consider not using the DEM updates from Troglodytus and Mikeaat anymore. HOWEVER, the German Alps haven’t improved. Still all rounded and ugly. Will definitely continue using the freeware DEM there.
Also I noticed that in many places aerials with snow have started to appear again. Which in the valleys in September is disturbing
Oh. And one more thing. They forgot to include churches like they did in the last WUs. That’s a tad disappointing I must say.

3 Likes

And then u wake up… :wink:

I am not sure if this is the Problem. I have every sort of app runing - I run the sim on my every day PC. So chat software, firefox, steam, antivirus, swift, little nav map, etc… is running in the background on a normal win 10 pro. I had a few (five-ish, definitly below 10) CTDs since release of the sim, but they all were traced back to a faulty mod. Once the faulty mod was removed all was fine. Currently I have about 100 mods installed, mainly airports, some scenery, and “we love VFR region 1+2”

Although I am running the very oposite of your rig: i9-9900k, 64GB DDR4 @ 3700MT/s, Geforce RTX 3090 (MSI Suprim X), windows on a 500GB NVme PCI Gen3, sim on a 2TB NVme PCI Gen3

I am also running the steam version of the sim, which also seems to make less trouble in comparison to the Microsoft Store version.

I always get a little bashed for it: but in my opinion most of the severe CTD issues some have is “user error”. The point is, a sim (doesn’t matter which one) is a very complex piece of SW which demands a very well mentained PC …

5 Likes

The latest update seems to have broken nighttime textures. My local airport glasgow EGPF now looks basic and blocky at night and so does the night textures in the surrounding area. I can pan about and some weird graphical anomaly slews some better looking texture in from the top of the display (see image) but not in a good sort of way. It was fine before this update. What has happened to this sim? (XBox X user).
I have installed all updates , Latest FS2020 (mandatory), WU6, Updates to WU5,4 etc etc and updates to Premium/deluxe etc.(all optional)
Anyne else tried nighttime flight?

1 Like

have you tried to run wsreset? This should reset the windows store, and if i’m correct also any caches.

The Antialiasing is still broken. There is a still a lot of shine and shimmer especially in VR and also in 2d.

With Sim Update 5 I had perfect FPS. Everything ran incredibly smooth and that on ULTRA!
With the new World Update 6 this is all history again. That sucks!
Because some have whined there is now a new option called pre-caching.
What value do I have to set this to in order to have exactly the same experience as after Sim Update 5? Or best you remove this ■■■■ right away!

1 Like

Lol if you read the release notes it says the medium setting is what was used in SU5.

21 Likes

Set it to medium, that is what you actually had before.

4 Likes

I’m finding the complete opposite. Performance under WU6 is different league compared to SU5 HF2.

6 Likes

Reading the release notes would go a long way…

8 Likes

With a lot of RAM installed and high end GPU i can put it on Ultra and have more or less the same performance.
The reason they implemented the culling was to save RAM and VRAM i believe.

If you want the same as SU5 put it on medium.

3 Likes

One thing to bear in mind guys is - if you HAVE set anything outside the SIM in the .cfg - is to reset that to defaults and start form there.
ASOBO did not design this Update for those who have set LOD to 8.0000.

If in doubt - Default it out.
Then try again and test.

3 Likes

I wonder if precache is both RAM and VRAM? I have 32gb system ram, but only 8gb on the 3070 gpu.