Discussion + Poll: World Update VI (1.19.8.0)

Tried that, just says PLAY in the store, click on that, you need a mandatory update, go to the store… and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat…

1 Like

I’m not going to tell you I fully understand how it works, but I can tell you that it does. For example, I usually run MSFS in VR, at 100% render scaling. It looks good, but the very nature of VR means compared to a flat panel display, it looks a bit fuzzy, out of focus even, despite the fact that my VR headset has more pixels than my monitor does. However, if I crank that render scale up to 150%, then it looks almost as sharp as my monitor.

There is a reason I do not do that, however, and that is because if I did, frames per second becomes seconds per frame. Same concept applies to cranking up that option on the monitor itself. It will make the image appear better, sharper, maybe even of a higher resolution. At the cost of performance.

But.

It does work.

Kev

2 Likes

Although you own the Premium Edition, look for the Base Edition in Store, that’s the one that updates.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the worker but I’m new to this forum thing anyone think the F15 or F14 tomcat by DC designs will be featured on Thursday for xbox? Really wanting these planes any thoughts?

I had the same. That happens, when you did the World Update 6 and jumped right into a flight without restarting the sim. Just end the Sim and start it up again you will be surprised at how much more is there, not just the trees. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are wrong, at least in the super sampling part in games, it makes a difference in visual quality. This is for a different engine, but the principle is the same, check at the bottom of the page: Temporal Antialiasing and Supersampling - Lumberyard User Guide

" Controlling Supersampling

In addition to antialiasing, Lumberyard supports supersampling for very high quality rendering. Supersampling renders the scene at a higher resolution and downscales the image to obtain smooth and stable edges. Due to the high internal rendering resolution, supersampling is performance heavy and only suitable for games intended to be played on high-end computers."

2 Likes

Agreed 100 percent

It’s been explained to you how render scaling at >100 works with multiple posters about what it is and why it’s done. If you don’t want to believe super sampling is what is being done, that’s on you, but don’t don’t tell others that you don’t expect them to understand, or that they are just seeing things.

Yes the end result is you get an image that fits at your monitor resolution, but rendering a scene at a higher resolution and downscaling creates an antialiasing effect. This is what other posters have said as well.

Like I said before it’s a subtle effect, not everyone can see it, but there are others who can and it does make a difference for them.

1 Like

The fact is that now it works very poorly in MFS … And most likely this added to the list of bugs that will never be fixed and our eyes will leak

stutgart rofl

2 Likes

Same for me. Update ends in a loop. It’s a horror.

It’s just a speed bump :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah funny I noticed this too (RTX 3090), but I was gone for sometime and it’s hot here.

The workaround that worked for me is to also download the Xbox App from the store (never mind if you own a Xbox or not). Run it and try updating MSFS again in the store. You may also have to log out and in. I also ran Windows Update, but the Xbox App trick did it for me…

2 Likes

I guess I’m one of the lucky ones. My Steam MSFS Premium update went without a hitch. I did rename my community directory before the install. I followed all the steps one by one in the content manager. After exiting, I restored my community folder and then restarted. Everything seems to be working fine after couple hours but I’m just doing local flying so far…

Maybe it’s because I waited and the servers were not overloaded? No Xbox app login required as I think Steam automatically does all that for you.

1 Like

Steam helps an awful lot too…

1 Like

Wait for the A320 4x4 Off-road mod, and try it again! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Exactly the same thing I did, and I guess I got lucky as well and have had zero issues so far.

1 Like

Do you have any overclocks going? Including RAM? Remember, using an XMP profile is an overclock.

Are you sure your Community folder is completely empty? Have you triple checked?

What are your specs? How about memory? In my observations, less than 32GB of total physical RAM in your system (well, in anyone’s system) can be problematic. That doesn’t mean there aren’t people running with just 16GB, there are, but it doesn’t seem to want to work for everybody.

What about background apps, got any of those going? Especially the 26 apps MS/Asobo has labeled as “habitual offenders”? These include Discord, MSI Afterburner, and several other apps almost all of us use, but apparently they can misbehave from time to time.

Do you even know what I am talking about?

For, me, the update happened is roughly 6-7 minutes, not including all the “free” stuff from the Marketplace for WU6. I don’t know exactly how long that took, because I wasn’t paying attention, but not long. 5, 10 minutes max.

I’ve run a number of flights today, mostly in the modified version of the DA62, and haven’t run into any issues, no CTDs, no strange behavior, no broken mods (though I’d bet both legs I have some of those and haven’t noticed yet), nothing bad at all.

I have formed an opinion, after months of reading about these issues, and hundreds if thousands of anecdotes that in most cases, people experiencing large problems have something going on with their computer, not the code as written by Asobo. There are some of those to be sure, but I think they’re very much in the minority. It can be easy, like the overclocks, or problem-child mods. Or it could be a bear to track down, like a RAM module that isn’t thermal pasted properly, or a power supply that works fine with everything else, but has degraded just enough to cause issues with MSFS. Another alternative that would be “not your peecee” would be network issues, whether or not it’s in your control to do something about.

But if you can eliminate the connectivity as being at fault, chances are if you were to run out and purchase a shiny new PC, assuming you got quality products from quality companies, SSDs only (at least for Windows and all MSFS and MSFS related files), a robust Internet connection, say a wired 10MBPS, or Wifi-6, I’d bet that new peecee would run it just fine, like most other folks. Which means it’s time to start exploring what it is about your computer that is causing your issues.

Of course, I say all this without even the slightest hint as to what your issues actually are, so I cannot completely discount the idea that I’m full of it, and wrong about virtually everything I said. But it’s on you to start playing detective and figure out what the heck is going on, because the app you’ve been bashing is working quite well, with some known issues that will be addressed soon enough, for most of the rest of us.

Heck, I’m willing to try to help you if I can, and if I can find the time, but I’m gonna need a lot more info before even knowing where to begin. But if you’re interested in that help, my offer to try is sincere. No promises. And there are many others here who have the same attitude I do about trying to help people, so even if it turns out I’m just too busy, I’m quite sure if you ask nice, you’ll find a line of people ready, willing, and able to assist.

Good luck!

Kev

4 Likes

Download the Xbox App & run it once (or if already downloaded then log out & log back in) . Then update appears.

2 Likes