Discussion + Poll: World Update VI (1.19.8.0)

This is what I see just after take off from EDFN

I have seen this issue before though at Lake Tahoe (SU5)

There I got the same issue as the person asking, but this time it seems to be working for me. Gonna check Lake Tahoe, see if that is still wrong.

Lake Tahoe blends better now and trees are back to the shore, still a bit odd.

Anyway I can’t reproduce what you’re seeing, could be temporary server problems, old data in cache, or (hopefully not) a corrupted file.

2 Likes

I must be missing something – I thought that this was a Microsoft product, and it was Jorg who was the “Microsoft Flight Simulator Manager”, who was managering it ?

I’m playing on a 5 year old gaming laptop with what WAS once a fairly powerful system: i7-6840, 16GB DDR4, GTX1070 with its own 8GB VRAM. Flight Simulator has really showed its limitations for current-gen stuff but I’ve managed.

Since SU5 I’ve been able to play at a solid 30fps 1080p with everything set on High even in glass-cockpit airliners in urban areas. After a recent Win10 update and yesterday’s WU6 release, my performance dropped to the mid-upper teens in the same aircraft and same airports I’ve been flying since July.

I finally narrowed it down to Win10’s Game Bar settings deciding on its own to re-enable background recording of all my gaming without me asking it to. Grrrrr! Turned that off, spawned at KATL with my usual settings and back at a solid and steady 30 fps again despite the summer evening thundershower and rain effects.

tl;dr: if you’re having sudden performance changes, beware Windows sabotaging you!

1 Like

So, it appears that the issue with decompressing some of the packages was my antivirus (Avast). Disabled it and all went well with the install. Once upon a time that was my SOP before any install/update. For the last couple of years, I haven’t needed to do that. That included the initial MSFS install and all of the previous updates…until now.

So, after my test flight (C208, KABQ-KAPA) I have to say that all is well. No noticeable issues and everything looks and behaves as before. I guess I count that as a win.

My TBM930 still won’t start.

That’s a rather broad question, which part of my settings is it you want to see? I’m happy to help, just to need to make sure I give you that which you seek!

Kev

1 Like

Had similar problem with 3rd party add on airport. Twice. Happened in update 5 & again 6. Same Orbx airport. (London City)
The fix for me was simple. I loaded the sim at a nearby airport (out of the scenery region) For me Heathrow. I then flew to & landed at the airport that originally crashed the sim.

Worked with update 5 and I tried it again tonight and it fixed it for update 6. Note I have cached scenery on. I can only assume the offending scenery that literally hangs the sim on the loading screen every time seems to sort out its data points as you fly in and land at that airfield.

When you exit the flight and reload the original to take off the airfield that crashed MS2020 before it now works fine. Odd but worked for me. Twice.

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

I figure by the time the 4080ti is real, I’ll probably need a full system refresh, if I haven’t already done one. Including, if it needs to be said, a much larger PSU. Although my 750 has been treating me well for several years now. It was actually one of the few things that got recycled into my current system, but that also means it’s that much older, which when it comes to power supplies, matters.

Of course, by then, MS/Asobo may have added so much new stuff in the sim, both graphically and computationally, that a 4080ti will only be able to run as relatively fast as my 2070 Super does now.

My crystal ball isn’t all that clear on those questions.

Kev

1 Like

The altitude reporting is not fixed for external applications.

Is this something on my end, or ‘new’ to WU6

I know the limitations to PG data, yet why is there a blue line highlighting the problem areas?

Reflections in general seem messed up, especially around the plane when in external view. (I have render scale at 100, not a scaling issue)

One of the major changes to improve performance from all I have read, was to take more from the GPU, and use it fully, as per my understanding. In general you should see that CPU have less utilization than before but GPU constantly up close to 100%

You can do some benchmark test on you GPU with high utilization and you should see the same behaviour. I don’t think the game itself will try to do something different with GPU as that is being managed by the GPU itself, based on the configuration (unless I’m missing something I don’t know)

I see you put a Hotel on Park Place! (Hope I don’t land on it or it will cost a pretty penny! )

2 Likes

But I think you did reproduce the problem Lemit4001 is reporting. In your first screenshot, the pavement of the divided highway does, in fact, seem to go underground and then emerge father down the road. The same error appears to be present over most of what I presume are rail lines.

Ah, yes. I was focused on the trees. The road indeed does dip underneath the aerial scenery. However that is as it always has been, those are auto generated bridges. The change is that the road painted on the aerial imagery is now very green/faded. It doesn’t match the bridges at all anymore.

It’s the other way around. MSFS has changed the way they report altitude, and the third parties need to update their products. VATSIM has already done this (not VatSpy, that still reads the old variable which is no longer accurate).

The new way of reporting the altitude is apparently much better and has other benefits. There’s a detailed thread in the forums if you search a bit where they discuss this.

Edit - here’s a mod talking about it - ATC telling me I'm at the incorrect altitude - #175 by Jummivana

1 Like

Yes thanks had already posted the solution above…it was exactly this. !

1 Like

Once I finally got the Store update and got SU6 installed, the sim looks pretty nice on all ULTRA settings without ~any additional fiddling. Flying low over Manhattan the buildings now look brighter to me, not so dark and drab as they used to appear. One thing that I noticed during the package download is the memory on my 3090 card got up to 94 deg C as reported by HWMonitor from CPUID. I used MSI Afterburner to crank the GPU fans up to ~2300 rpm (nice engine whirr to accompany GA flying!) and it brought the 3090 memory temp down to < 80 deg C, the “GPU” to 53 deg C in an ~28 deg C(83 deg F) room. So if you just use something like Afterburner, don’t be deceived by just the GPU temperature report. The GPU memory temperature on something like a supposedly well-ventilated 3090 could be getting close to the boiling point (100 deg C)!

With WU6 they fixed the ground texture LOD problem in northern Germany which had been introduced with WU5. But… they unfixed parts of southern Denmark - e.g. the island of Fano now looks like this: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2021 09 09 05 38 02 02 - YouTube

1 Like

Oh sorry, I was mainly interested in your in-game and OXR render scales.

Just a quick note to anyone who may be seeing scenery anomalies or “spikes” as I’ve seen several people saying they noticed them around LOWI, that means you don’t have the SU6 graphics files downloaded. Go to the marketplace (not content manager like this stupid guy was doing) and download it from there and it will make them go away. And I am so grateful for that, for if I had to live through another month or two with people losing their minds about “spikes”, I might have to throw myself off a bridge somewhere.

I’ve never gotten errors, but I do get absolutely horrific performance when using CTRL-TAB to turn VR off. The only way I’ve found to fix it is to turn off WMR, but from time to time when I’ve done that mid-flight (say because I don’t want to wear my HMD with 4 hours of cruising on autopilot left to go), I have to give it some time to adapt and “recover” to a normal frame rate (which it does in fact do in ~4 mins time), before it’s really flyable so I have to keep that in mind when I decide it’s time to go under the hood again.

No idea why it behaves that way, and if anyone reading this has a solution that would be great, but that is my experience.

Kev

2 Likes

He’s the executive producer. My impression is that there is a disconnect between his ideas/plans and what Asobo can actually deliver. Just my thoughts tho…