Discussion + Poll: World Update VII (1.22.2.0)

Hurrah! They finally fixed the bridges and water levels in Canberra, no longer does the traffic dive to periscope depth to cross Lake Burley Griffin, but there are still way to many enormous trees in the CBD.
I still do not like the update process but this update for me looks good so far. The “new” Sydney is stunning.

1 Like

G’day all!

Well, I’ve only been flying for an hour so far and I must say I’m really impressed. Sydney is spectacular, even down to the working model of Luna Park next to the harbour bridge. Orbx has no doubt played a big part in this update and being an Aussie company, they have delivered the goods. Performance for me over Melbourne and Sydney was very smooth, despite the servers no doubt being hammered.

I was pleased that my home town of Hobart has had the existing photogrammetry extended to the Eastern shore of the river Derwent, where I live, and my house is now included, as is the Tasman Bridge.

How about others, especially fellow Aussies? Any issues or new bugs? I haven’t noticed any new ones in 2D and VR.

Now back to fly over more cities. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Agreed. I uninstalled the ORBX Sydney and am happy(ish) with the result OOTB. Even better, Melbourne now looks like Melbourne (I live in Melbourne / Brighton). Would have been nice if they hand modelled the Art Center spire but can’t have everything.

All - The new opening screen is a great picture, that is as close to Sidney, AZ I will ever get, so it’s very nice. Good job on it Asobo. Game seems to load a tad bit faster, but without timing it not for sure. Have NOT flown anything, but this update went the smoothest yet. Just reinstalled my CF stuff, so going to see if it’s all there before I have my ham radio net tonight. Might be back later but trying to get switch setup for parking brake and it’s giving me fits. Going to get this myself.

I’m pretty happy with what I’m seeing so far. No trouble with the downloads and they were pretty quick. Performance is much the same as previously, which is fine and what I’d expect from my mid level rig. Sydney looks great. Still need to lok around more. My existing community content doesn’t seem to have any conflicts. I had hoped for my home town Canberra airport to be updated, still the original is not bad. Updating. I’m not overly surprised that my home training airport at Moruay is unchanged and I really miss how nice it was in FSX some days. Still having the same problem as previously at Moruya where setting to the area QNH gives very wrong altitude at the airport (22’ instead of 20’). I think this is a area QNH problem rather than an elevation problem? Also the great monolith at Batemen’s Bay remains in place.

1 Like

Vastly improved DEM/mesh, so I’m happy about that…

But I just flew across Lake Frome and Lake Eyre, and they’re still filled with sparkling blue fresh water. As are many of the of the other smaller salt lakes in SA. Haven’t checked in the NT and WA yet, but I doubt I’ll be positively surprised. A total turn-off for outback flying (for me anyway) to see all that water. I wish MSFS wouldn’t rely on Opentopo map data for hydrology.

Regarding the issue of the Sydney Harbour Bridge from WU7 potentially conflicting with the Orbx Cityscape Sydney Scenery Pack, I’m personally not experiencing that myself. I have both the Orbx scenery and WU7 installed. This is how the Harbour Bridge appears to me:

I’m not seeing double bridges at all like some of the screenshots above.

3 Likes

That’s cool to know. I grew up on the Eastern Shore.

How does Bellerive Oval look?

1 Like

As expected … Lake Amadeus (NT): a boater’s paradise!

In other news, it’s raining at the Rock right now…

I’m on Xbox, download took about under 5 mins and then the WU update about 3 min. No issues
Flew out of Perth and down the coastline. Really nice and really smooth this far.

2 Likes

For previous World Updates you could go to the Content Manager and install the World Update as it would be listed under Not Installed. For WU7 you need to go into the Marketplace click on Full Catalog click on World Update, click on World Update VII: Australia and purchase it for free.

Thanks Asobo. I am rarely positive, but that’s because I want this sim to be the best… regardless…

Great job guys amazing scenery, amazingly swift update process, no lag or slow servers, everything went well. I bought the Fokker to support more stuff, it’s great but how do you steer it?

Well done, firm hand shakes all round.

PS: I never clear my community folder, I use an add-on linker but even so I don’t do it, because I see no need and never have issues.

7 Likes

Wow, you just read my mind - exactly the same thoughts :grinning:
Great download speed and installation process, no looping files, great POI’s and scenery
Been to Melbourne and Sydney, and at first could not distinguish custom POI’s from photogrammetry - so naturally they blend.

I already got some faith before, since I know that with ORBX being an Australian company and they history of improving Australia for other Sims, they would do some really good job.

My only wish for improvements are the salt lakes’ watermasks.

2 Likes

I would agree with you, but once again people were locked out of the sim, me included. Even though they improved with more testing, they’re updates still lack perfecting. Last update, for example, broke multiple third party aircraft, and the worst part is that they were warned about the issue way before releasing the update.

1 Like

Anyone else unable to download the Australia Discovery flights? I go to market place and says EROR above GET.

Didn’t Asobo just pay ORBX to do all the Australia scenery? SO it is all ORBX anyway.

1 Like

Despite YPAD (Adelaide) being on the ‘improved’ airports list, it’s still the same mess it was prior.

Over all, Aus looks way better. I don’t live there so I can’t complain about Mrs Murphy’s cat not being in her window and that kind of non-sense, but over all it looks good and performs well.

I have some new crashes at the clicking ‘Fly’ button from the cinematic, but I’m not sure if this is MSFS or if it is the new Vatsim Vpilot interface causing me issues.

Similarly the WT G1000nxi has been a little wonky with the map freaking out. Thats almost certainly something for WT to look into and not MS.

Anyhow, not bad, but not perfect. It’s all still playable, so thats good.

1 Like

I believe it’s just improved airport data which I think refers to things like elevation, maybe some taxiway adjustments etc.

Without knowing all the details I would say that most people wouldn’t notice the difference. What exactly is the issue? If you want really detailed airports I think we’re still reliant on 3rd party devs.

Yeah but you can’t download it if you haven’t updated to 1.22, which we can’t do…